Pool Water

Brian&Dwayne

Yes, I would also like to know a bit more. From what I gather there are ships/lines that have saltwater. I have never cruised before so that was a bit weird to me, hearing it for the first time. But as I said there ARE ships/lines that have fresh water, also I'm pretty sure most hydrotherapy type pools are freshwater.

What I don't know is what lines/ships have/don't have fresh/salt water, anyone know?

I think I read that some on Princess were and possibly some on RCL or Carnival... not sure...

Thank You Very Much:)

All the ships I have been on have had salt water pools except the Golden Princess. I was surprised on my first cruise to find the pools were salt water, but it sure makes it easy for them to refill them!

Hope this helps.

Michelle

From the info I have read and experiened: Fresh water pools Princess and Disney (now D may have a fresh and a salt but for sure fresh). The rest of the large lines are salt. I rather like the fresh water but that is what I am used to swimming in, many people have professed a liking for the salt water pools. I would guess the hot tubs are the same.

No matter what type of water is in the pool, I've never been able to get in, it's always soooooo cold, I don't think it is heated at all! On every ship I've sailed, I'm only able to get in as far as my shin before getting right back out again. We take a small water spritzer bottle to cool off.

From the info I have read and experiened: Fresh water pools Princess and Disney (now D may have a fresh and a salt but for sure fresh). The rest of the large lines are salt. I rather like the fresh water but that is what I am used to swimming in, many people have professed a liking for the salt water pools. I would guess the hot tubs are the same.

Hal also has fresh water pools.

We didn't get into the pool on Celebrity Zenith. Too small and the motion of the ship moving made the water slish slosh back and forth (we had a tropical storm the first night.) It was supposed to be salt water. Second cruise was last September on Carnival Fascination. We did get in the pool and water was just fine. You didn't notice the extra saltiness that much. Not like you do with the ocean. You can deal with it. There is so much to do on a cruise, you might not even go to the pool.

Someone told me that the pools on RCCL Radience class ships are salt water. Can that be true? I thought all pools were fresh water. What about the hottubs?

Yes it's true :(

I was on the Radiance in February and the pools are definitely salt water....

My preference is for fresh, but on a hot day I'll jump in whatever! :o

My preference is for salt water. I like that I float in it. It's so relaxing to lie back and float. But I like that Princess pools are always open. And they're heated as well. We enjoyed using the pools on our Princess cruises to New England/Canada and Alaska.

Just from a pool cleanliness standpoint, I think my preference would be salt water. It seems as though that would be much easier to replace/replenish since you always have a source of water nearby (as opposed to fresh). Especially after tons of people make their way through the pools every day. Eww! ;)

laurasue, but you can be sure the fresh water pools are tested and treated daily. We saw pools drained and refilled as well as hot tubs while on our 10 day Princess cruise. One of the things I take issue with more than the water being fresh or salt is the closure of the pools and hot tubs. While that alone is not going to sway us to Princess exclusivly the 24 hours they are open that geoherb mentioned is very nice. Celebrity shuts their pools and tubs down around 8PM, kind of stinks if you want to sit in a hot tub before bed, well I guess you could turn in early.

It is salt (on most lines, as people have said) and it is odd, at first, but you get used to it. Like swimming in the ocean, without sharks, unless you count leering post teens who are drunk and acting like morons..

The poster who said that they are cold is DEAD on.. freezing! I think they freeze it when you are not looking. It is refreshing on really hot days.

laurasue, but you can be sure the fresh water pools are tested and treated daily. We saw pools drained and refilled as well as hot tubs while on our 10 day Princess cruise. One of the things I take issue with more than the water being fresh or salt is the closure of the pools and hot tubs. While that alone is not going to sway us to Princess exclusivly the 24 hours they are open that geoherb mentioned is very nice. Celebrity shuts their pools and tubs down around 8PM, kind of stinks if you want to sit in a hot tub before bed, well I guess you could turn in early.

Phew, that's reassuring! Now, closing the pools at 8? That would be frustrating. Late evening is a great time to soak in the hot tub. :)

The poster who said that they are cold is DEAD on.. freezing! I think they freeze it when you are not looking. It is refreshing on really hot days.

I find this strange. We have only been on Princess so I can't really comment for myself. But it should be the temp of the ocean, no? Wouldn't it be cold on an Alaskin but warmer on a Caribean?

Just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my understanding that all the Carnival pools are saltwater. They have some kind of a pump system that allows them to drain and then refill the pools daily or as needed. The cruise we were on, they drained the pools every night for safety reasons, as well as covered them with a net.

All,

I found the following posted by jrm9999 on the review for the Radiance of the Seas on CC's review section

"Solarium -- The solarium is decorated very uniquely and is a very pleasant, relaxing place to be. We used the pool there one day and it was heated with fresh water. Yes, that right, fresh water. That’s not a misprint."

Maybe they have one fresh water pool? I don't know, I'm new to cruising but my next cruise is on the Radiance so I have been reading a lot of those reviews and came across this.... can anyone comment on it? I'm interested to know myself.... Also, can anyone clarify, is the Solarium the "adult only" pool? I think I had heard someone say that it was...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just cruised on the Adventure Of the Seas (5/15/05-5/22/05) and the water in all of the pools was salt water.

The Solarium pool is adult only on the Adventure.

It is my understanding that all the Carnival pools are saltwater. They have some kind of a pump system that allows them to drain and then refill the pools daily or as needed. The cruise we were on, they drained the pools every night for safety reasons, as well as covered them with a net.

Is that so if you drink to much you don't fall In, just kidding...

Is that why they are so cold they get drained everyday?? also I believe there is a spa in the Gym, is the hot tubs salt also??

I'll never forget on our first cruise jumping into the pool thinking it was fresh water and ahhhhh!!!!!!:eek: After thinking about it, it makes sense for the cruise lines, free water for the pools, no chemicals or daily testing. At the end of the day, drain the pool, the next morning fill it back up and there you go. I do think the hot tubs are fresh water though.

On our most recent cruise, my wife was surprised to find out that the pool had salt water in it. After explaining to her that they get the water from the ocean, she asked then why do they add salt to the water.

It seems as though someone told her during her childhood that the Atlantic ocean was fresh water (something to do with the difference between pacific salmon and atlantic salmon), and she believed it.

On the same note, my wife was pleasantly surprised that the Spirit had installed a wave machine in the pool...........

.......she eventually figured it out.

My wife is pretty smart, so I did get a good chuckle out of it!:)

All,

I found the following posted by jrm9999 on the review for the Radiance of the Seas on CC's review section

"Solarium -- The solarium is decorated very uniquely and is a very pleasant, relaxing place to be. We used the pool there one day and it was heated with fresh water. Yes, that right, fresh water. That’s not a misprint."

Maybe they have one fresh water pool? I don't know, I'm new to cruising but my next cruise is on the Radiance so I have been reading a lot of those reviews and came across this.... can anyone comment on it? I'm interested to know myself.... Also, can anyone clarify, is the Solarium the "adult only" pool? I think I had heard someone say that it was...

Thanks!

Apparently they tried fresh water on one of the ships, but it didn't work due to the pipes having been previously used with salt water or something. All RCCI pools and hot tubs are now salt water.

The Solarium is the adults only pool.

Archived