Drink Packages... Which one to take?

sayvan

I am trying to decide which drink package will work best for me so I am calling on all who may have some experience between the two. For the most part, I am a beer kinda guy, I enjoy some wine with dinner but really only a glass or two... I like the frosty drinks (margarita's, Daiquiri's) and of course a rum with some kind of mix. That being said, I do enjoy the occasional shot as well.

Now, what I am trying to figure out is whether to go with the basic or the premium package. How often do you find (outside of a martini or something) your drink cost above the $8 limit of the basic? Will the $8 limit give me a wide range of options (understanding the type of liquor is the issue on the price, i.e Bacardi vs. Captain Morgan's Rum).

Sayvan, I think you would be fine with the classic package. You can test it out once onboard. Add up your beverage bill after a full day. Then purchase a beverage package that will make the most sense for you.

Sayvan, I think you would be fine with the classic package. You can test it out once onboard. Add up your beverage bill after a full day. Then purchase a beverage package that will make the most sense for you.

Be aware though... that your one day ala carte you'll be on your own.

Could be a "costly" day vs being "on the program"... firstly we found we were surprised at how many things are chargeable... and by how much (even though we had pre-read thru the Beverage STICKY before sailing), also by how much we drank overall... alcoholic or not (attributed to the HOT Sun & fresh air)... and how quickly these expenses could add up.

By the time you figure it out... it could be the "middle of Day One" with Dinner still infront of you... then to move to one of the Beverage Programs can be difficult (they are quite reluctant to refund back what you've already drank against the plan)

So Day One as an experiment, can be a costly one.

Cheers!

I have a question also...I am purchasing the Premium drink package. If a drink is over the $8.00 glass or 12.00 glass do I pay just the difference or the whole thing? I am getting mixed feedback on this from reading reviews.

Thanks for the input!

I have a question also...I am purchasing the Premium drink package. If a drink is over the $8.00 glass or 12.00 glass do I pay just the difference or the whole thing? I am getting mixed feedback on this from reading reviews.

Thanks for the input!

If you are purchasing the premium package you get drinks free up to the value of $12....anything over that amount you pay the difference only.

On the classic you get drinks up to the value of $8 and anything over you pay the whole amount.

When I was on the Equinox we had the classic package and I love cocktails frozen and pina coladas etc and we did not struggle or miss anything.....if you asked for a vodka and coke you tended to get grey goose....but if you asked for Goose specifically you could get refused....just depends who your servers are and how generous they are towards you!!!

Take a look at the menus that are posted and ask yourself how often are you really going to drink the more expensive drinks....regularly??.....if it might be only once during the whole trip is it worth paying the difference to the premium price....we didn't and really didn't miss a thing.....we bought a drink at the mixology bar twice but I don't think spending $24 justifies moving to premium package.

Hope this helps?? :cool:

If you are purchasing the premium package you get drinks free up to the value of $12....anything over that amount you pay the difference only.

On the classic you get drinks up to the value of $8 and anything over you pay the whole amount.

/quote]

What I have read is correct with the premium packet, but not with the classic i.e. cocktail is say $10, then have to sign for $10, but with premium sign for only $2 over.

Maybe someone else can help?

/quote]

What I have read is correct with the premium packet' date=' but not with the classic i.e. cocktail is say $10, then have to sign for $10, but with premium sign for only $2 over.

Maybe someone else can help?[/quote']

That is correct...The Premium Package is the ONLY one that allows you to just pay the difference over the maximum allowable amount.

As Monty's Mum said, A Premium Alchohol package allows you any cocktail up to $12. If the drink is more expensive you pay the difference.

A Classic package allows you cocktails up to $8. If you order a $12 drink you pay the entire $12. The Premium package is the ONLY package that allows you to just pay the "overage."

You get more and higher end choices on water, beer, wine etc w/ the Premium package too.

If you're undecided I think it's well worth waiting and adding up what you paid for your drinks. If it's MORE than the package you're considering, but less than the higher end package, make your decision based on that. If it's less than both packages then maybe a package isn't for you. You'll drink less on port days assuming you get off the ship, so a port intensive cruise also should be factored into your consumption.

/quote]

What I have read is correct with the premium packet' date=' but not with the classic i.e. cocktail is say $10, then have to sign for $10, but with premium sign for only $2 over.

Maybe someone else can help?[/quote']

No thats right....I had the classic package and we bought 2 cocktails $12 each we had to pay and sign for $24.

Hope that helps;)

As Monty's Mum said, A Premium Alchohol package allows you any cocktail up to $12. If the drink is more expensive you pay the difference.

A Classic package allows you cocktails up to $8. If you order a $12 drink you pay the entire $12. The Premium package is the ONLY package that allows you to just pay the "overage."

You get more and higher end choices on water, beer, wine etc w/ the Premium package too.

If you're undecided I think it's well worth waiting and adding up what you paid for your drinks. If it's MORE than the package you're considering, but less than the higher end package, make your decision based on that. If it's less than both packages then maybe a package isn't for you. You'll drink less on port days assuming you get off the ship, so a port intensive cruise also should be factored into your consumption.

This this might help you its a spreadsheet to work out if its worth it....but apologies if the prices are not up to date....it gives you a ball park idea though:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtQ-heWqtag3dDB3dlRCdkk5MFJ6RFYycUM4T2Vocnc&hl=en#gid=0

• 2 weeks later...

Can I clarify as well?

So if I want a pina colada - as long as my rum is in the classic package I can get it on my package, or will the drink cost more than the allowed? Just wondering how the "foofoo" drinks work on this package.....can someone help?

I know all the liquors, beers, wines that are on the package, I'm specifically asking about the specialty drinks (margaritas, pina coladas, miami vice, etc.)

Thanks!!

You will have a much wider choice of wines by the glass, beer and cider on the premium package as well as martinis and high end cocktails. Well worth it IMO

Also coffees. I normally stick w/ Beer most of the time but I loved having the Premium package. I could try new martinis, different beers, frozen drinks...but mostly the coffee drinks. I am not that big a fan of coffee so this gave me the freedom to try new speciality coffees w/ alcohol or frozen. It was awesome. Defintely got my $s worth.

Can I clarify as well?

So if I want a pina colada - as long as my rum is in the classic package I can get it on my package, or will the drink cost more than the allowed? Just wondering how the "foofoo" drinks work on this package.....can someone help?

I know all the liquors, beers, wines that are on the package, I'm specifically asking about the specialty drinks (margaritas, pina coladas, miami vice, etc.)

Thanks!!

I lived on Frozen Daiquaris and Pina coladas on the classic.....as long as its under $8 you are away.....if its not in the package they will tell you...don't worry fill your boots!!! :p

I did my thinking....

I love my cappuccinos in the morning... X2

Bottle of water for the walk or the pool... X2 per day or more

San Pelligrino with lunch... X1

Double espresso after lunch...X1

Glass of wine or drink afternoon... X1

Juice or water because it's hot... X1

Drink or wine around 4h...X1, 2...

Glass of wine getting ready for dinner...X1

Glass of wine during dinner...X1 or 2

Glass of wine during the show...X1

Again wine during evening...X1 or 2

Total: Around 12 drinks per day

To break even with the premium package you need to drink 8 beverages per day. You don't want beer, wine, martinis, etc...Well drink water, coffee, tea and juices. The difference is you don't have to get it yourself, you can stay seated and order it. Tap water is very good onboard, I still enjoy my Perrier or San Pelligrino without paying extras.

Sea ya,

Definitely go for the premium. It was the best decision we ever made and would not cruise again without a drink package. It's not even about the alcohol. With the premium we were able to get premium coffee multiple times a day in Cafe Baccio and it was great knowing that you could have pretty much any drink and not worry. The drinks at the molecular bar are not to be missed and they are 12 dollars a piece. I believe some beers are excluded from the classic package so double check that as well. We did the math at the end of the cruise and the package cost $425 I believe for the week. We drank well over $700 each by the end of the cruise. PS-didn't have a hangover once the whole cruise so I assure we weren't overindulging either! Mimosa for breakfast. Double latte after breakfast. Few drinks by the pool. Bottle of water with Lunch and dinner. 2 glasses of wine with dinner. A few drinks before bed....$700 later. Can't say it enough LOVE the premium package! Enjoy.

The classic package worked fine for us on our Nov. Solstice transatlantic. Most of the drinks we wanted were on this package, we managed to find wines that were OK (not great) and the occasional martini we just paid for. I don't think that the difference in price would have been cost effective for us.

:confused:for Gods sake the actual difference between the classic and premium is so small just get the premium, forget the cost, enjoy your cruise, drink just about what ever you want and let us all get some sleep

The cost difference between classic and premium for 2 for a 12 night cruise is A$260. Thanks to wonderful cruise critic members posts - I am going to purchase the premium package - because I really only drink sauv. blanc, and have not found many on the classic package that I think I would like. Depending on where you are travelling FROM AND TO WHERE your are travelling - can have a huge impact on what you are willing to pay/spend. (Our airfares & accom are in excess of $2900.00 EACH - just to get to the destination from which we wish to leave from on our up coming cruise. )

So I really think that one cannot comment on WHAT IS CALLED THE SMALL COST that has been commented on. Maybe some threads shouldn't be read - and then sleep could be a bonus !!

This this might help you its a spreadsheet to work out if its worth it....but apologies if the prices are not up to date....it gives you a ball park idea though:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtQ-heWqtag3dDB3dlRCdkk5MFJ6RFYycUM4T2Vocnc&hl=en#gid=0

How to you download this ... I keep trying and it won't allow me to save it???? :mad::(:eek:

I am trying to decide which drink package will work best for me so I am calling on all who may have some experience between the two. For the most part, I am a beer kinda guy, I enjoy some wine with dinner but really only a glass or two... I like the frosty drinks (margarita's, Daiquiri's) and of course a rum with some kind of mix. That being said, I do enjoy the occasional shot as well.

Now, what I am trying to figure out is whether to go with the basic or the premium package. How often do you find (outside of a martini or something) your drink cost above the $8 limit of the basic? Will the $8 limit give me a wide range of options (understanding the type of liquor is the issue on the price, i.e Bacardi vs. Captain Morgan's Rum).

By what you are stating,

I say go with the Basic package.

Archived