Upgrades & Ms XXXdam

sue117

OK, so how do you get upgrades? Been on 3 cruises and never had one...automatic? Do you have to suck up to someone?

Also, how do you get chosen for Mr or Ms XXXdam? Will I never be picked because I am "only" 33? Would they prefer someone older because that is the demographic of the ships?

My husband and I really enjoy the HAL BECAUSE it's an older crowd. We like to find nooks and crannies to read and relax in. With my husband being in the Army and myself having a stressful job, it's nice to be able to take a week and not worry about anything but finishing a book (or 2 or 3). We don't drink or gamble (not because we are "uppidy" but because we never win, and I personally don't LIKE the taste of alcohol (unless it's hidden in Frou-Frou drinks!).

Sue117

Been on 45 HAL cruises and never received an upgrade, so don't hold your breath. :)

We have both been chosen as Mr/Mrs XXXdam a few times and that was probably because we knew the Hostesses, in the days when they had a Hostess on each ship. Don't know how they choose them now or even if they still do this as last year on the Westerdam, there was no Mr/Mrs XXXdam.

Regarding upgrades, they are very rare with HAL. HAL has very loyal customers who pick their cabins and know exactly where they want to be on the ship which doesn't allow for much upgrade movement. If you book a guarantee, you might get a slight upgrade within category, but I don't know many that received an upgrade from one category to another (inside-outside, outside-balcony, balcony-suite). It's best to choose the cabin type and location you will be happy with and then book it. Once we gambled with an outside guarantee booking with HAL. We were assigned the worst cabin in the outside category (yes there are very bad cabins) and so we scrambled to get reassigned (we paid extra for this). We learned our lesson and now only book the exact catgory/cabin we want. Happy Sailing!

Ms/Mr xxxDAM are usually chosen by a member of the cruise director's staff. I think that they look for people that are "out and about", either taking tours, participating in activities, or just generally visible around the ship. They want whoever is chosen to be someone that the rest of the passengers have a good chance of meeting.

DH was selected once years ago as Mr XXXdam - that when they had hostesses and we knew the one on the Zaandam.

As for selecting them now - hard to say. We didn't have a Mr or Ms XXXdam on the Westerdam in January. But we did have them on the Volendam in Feb/Mar.

One time a 90+ old man was selected and he was never found by anyone as he stayed in his cabin nearly the entire cruise.

Archived