3 Hours Post-Cruise Seattle - What to Do?

zenjenn

We will be in Seattle 1 1/2 day pre-cruise and I got some FANTASTIC advice from this forum. My itinerary is all set! :)

However *after* my cruise, I'm perplexed. Passengers depart at 9 am. My flight home is at 3. Even if you figure an hour to get off the boat and to the airport, I certainly do not want to stand around the airport for 5 hours!

The following complications confuse me:

- This will be Memorial Day, and also the Folklife festival is going on and I'm not sure how that complicates matters.

- We will have our luggage with us. I understand we can pay to have it stored at the dock, but then that limits our choices to places very close, and requires more complicated logistics of going to and from the cruise terminal after a very short excursion.

- Many of the options I am looking at, tours or Folklife festival itself, starts at 11 am. That's pushing it a bit late. I'm looking more for something from 9:30ish-11:30ish, maybe lunch, and then to the airport by 1 ish. I would really LOVE to see the Tut exhibit, but reviews say it is very crowded, and I assume this will be the case on its opening weekend - Memorial Day. I don't want to risk getting caught in massive crowds or wasting money.

- I do know there are post-cruise city tours offered, but these tours are kind of pricey and will take us to a lot of the same locations we already saw pre-cruise.

Any suggestions for anything we could do for 2 hours (or 3, including lunch) that is luggage friendly and won't be complicated by the presence of the festival?

Hi. Are you on the Disney Wonder by chance? I have almost the same issue as you. We are hoping to get off the ship, taxi over to do the Duck Tour. I called, and they said if we go to the location of their main office, they will hold our luggage. I think it's by the Space Needle. The tour is appx. 1 1/2 hrs. We are going to be flexible with this plan. If we don't get off the ship in a timely manner, or if the crowds are heavy, we may go straight to the airport. If there's no time for lunch, we will just eat at the airport.

Yup, the Disney Wonder!

I had planned on doing the ducks tour during our 1.5 day pre-cruise stay (for cost reasons it is cheaper to fly in/out of Seattle, so we are training up to Vancouver to spend the weekend there after 1.5 days in Seattle.)

I'd be OK with switching it to Monday, but the earliest tour is still 11 am. Maybe that is pushing it? And also, will the FolkLife festival impact where the ducks tour can go?

Another option I just considered is we are staying at a Westlake hotel pre-cruise, right around the corner from the light rail. I e-mailed to ask if, as a recent hotel guest, they would allow us to store our luggage there for a few hours. Then we could just do *whatever* downtown and take the Light Rail to the airport.

Allow some cushion in your times to navigate around the area of the folklife festival - those streets can be jammed up even without the festival crowds. Also sea tac - security lines can take a long time to get through. 2 hours may be plenty for most airports but not always for this one.

if your cabbing to the 'duck' tour at the space needle be aware that cabs in Seattle chg $.50 a minute so sitting in traffic get pretty expensive. Traffic is bumper to bumper on festival wknds so be prepared.

Frankly I would just go downtown and at any major hotel you can slip the bell guy some $$ and they will keep your bags. Then go to the Mkt for a bit then to the airport.

David, I'm confused. Isn't the "Duck" tour downtown? How do I get downtown without cabbing? (I don't see walking very far with luggage, children, and a 71 yr old mother-in-law)

Part of my thought about getting a cab downtown is that we could take the light rail to the airport and avoid any traffic snafus.

I could be mistaken (and please come on to say so if I am David) but I believe he was saying he would skip the ducks tour and do the Pike Place Market instead. The seattle center (where the space needle is and the Folklife festival) is not downtown - traffic to go downtown will hopefully be less.

The Duck also has a kiosk location at Westlake Center. They have no room to store luggage, but would this location avoid some of the traffic congestion? If so, would there be a major hotel nearby that we could try to drop our luggage at? I'm wondering if the bellhop would question whether we were staying at the hotel? If we did the Westake location, we could take light rail back to the airport.

Ok, cruisewiththekids, have you seen this:

http://dclnews.com/2010/06/onboard-airline-check-in-service-adds-convenience-to-a-disney-cruise-line-vacation/

I normally don't check bags to avoid the expense, but in this case, I am thinking maybe it would be worth it to use this service and check our bags (which are carry-on size) to just avoid the whole hassle, especially since this is Memorial Day with potentially larger crowds & delays.

Yup, the Disney Wonder!

I had planned on doing the ducks tour during our 1.5 day pre-cruise stay (for cost reasons it is cheaper to fly in/out of Seattle, so we are training up to Vancouver to spend the weekend there after 1.5 days in Seattle.)

I'd be OK with switching it to Monday, but the earliest tour is still 11 am. Maybe that is pushing it? And also, will the FolkLife festival impact where the ducks tour can go?

Another option I just considered is we are staying at a Westlake hotel pre-cruise, right around the corner from the light rail. I e-mailed to ask if, as a recent hotel guest, they would allow us to store our luggage there for a few hours. Then we could just do *whatever* downtown and take the Light Rail to the airport.

Your ship uses Pier 91, which is a couple miles north of downtown. If you stored your bags there, you'd have to take a taxi back to retrieve them so not a good option.

As david suggested the easiest option is to check your bags at a hotel. Bellmen thrive on tips so they'll be ok with it. People frequently check their luggage because they've arrived too early, so it's a common request. You'll have an advantage since you stayed there previously; tell the bellman ahead of time what your plan is.

I do this frequently when I visit family in Vegas. I check my bag with a bellman, then when my brother picks me up, I retrieve it and drive off.

The Ducks tour starts at 9-9:30am during the summer. If you have great weather precruise I'd do the Ducks then .... if you put it off you might return to rain.

I don't think you realistically have time to cab downtown, store bags, do a tour and get to airport by 1 pm. I think a plan B would be better. You don't have to believe me but I'm in the tour business and know Seattle.

Ok, cruisewiththekids, have you seen this:

http://dclnews.com/2010/06/onboard-airline-check-in-service-adds-convenience-to-a-disney-cruise-line-vacation/

I normally don't check bags to avoid the expense, but in this case, I am thinking maybe it would be worth it to use this service and check our bags (which are carry-on size) to just avoid the whole hassle, especially since this is Memorial Day with potentially larger crowds & delays.

You may want to check if this is available in Seattle. Sounds like this link refers to MCO. Even if it is available in Seattle, it won't work for us, because we're flying Frontier, which isn't on their list. Unless they have different participating airlines in Seattle.

David - I believe you! That's why I post here - to get insights from folks like you. And what you are saying makes sense, as well. While my location is Alabama I lived in the Los Angeles area all my life until a few years ago so I definitely *get* what big cities can be like, especially during an event or holiday weekend.

Olympic Sculpture Park was another option, but it looks like a 30 minute walk and the facilities there are closed on Memorial Day, so that may not be the best option either with kids and a senior in our group.

Right now I am favoring just paying to check the bags on board if we can, and if not, check at a hotel downtown as recommended and just plan on doing some shopping and wandering around, and lunch if we have time, and then get a cab or rail to SEA-TAC no later than noon.

If I went to a downtown hotel and asked the bellman to store my luggage, he's not going to care if I'm not actually planning to stay at the hotel? I just don't want to plan to do this and then be turned away.

Would you think the Westlake Center area would be less congested than down by the Space Needle because of the festival?

Yes, Westlake Center would be dramatically less crowded. The Westin hotel sits on the NE corner of Westlake center and likely would provide the desired baggage holding for you. From the Westlake center you could take the monorail ride up to the Seattle Center and toodle around there if desired or just take advantage of the great shopping opportunities around Westlake Center. Nordstrom's flagship store is right there, Macy's has a very large store there, a big Nike Town is close by, there is a great video game spot close by(name evading me right now) and then catch public transportation to the airport when you are ready.

If you are definitely wanting to go to Pike's Place Market then Westlake with your clan is not a good idea as the walk, while it can be done, would prove very difficult both for distance and elevation having to cover.

If you want to drive to a few places and see some sights, the places I'd recommend are: Kerry Park just off Queen Anne Blvd(best photo spot of Seattle), the troll guarding the Freemont Bridge(kinda' cool for the kids), heading over to Alki Beach. All these are free to do and can easily be done within a couple hours but would require a car.

For restaurants, these are my favorites and ones I used to take clients to when I worked as a limo chauffer: Palisade(on Elliot Bay--my absolute favorite and the Sunday brunch is amazing), Ray's Boathouse(fabulous seafood and the best wine selection in town--get reservations to be able to be seated during sunset), Anthony's on Alki.

Security at Seatac used to be very bad but the last couple years have brought significant improvements in the way they are able to process people through security lines. I don't arrive more than 90 minutes before any flight any longer and never have any issues--and that includes parking my car off site and shuttling into the airport.

Hope that helps and you have a great time in Seattle.

You could go ahead to the airport, check your bags, get your flight tickets and then instead of going to your gate - you could head to the train that takes you back to town (cheap) and do a little shopping or whatever. You know your bags are safe, they are stored in a place you have to return to, and that part is all done - all you need to do is walk into security for your flight home.

I have no idea why someone would suggest a walk from Westlake to Pike Place isn't feasible??? Its 4 blocks level walking. Your getting suggestions so far afield from what your asking I'm hesitant to add any more input. I think you got the plan down by getting to a downtonw hotel, parking the bags and explore for a bit then get to Seatac.

I have no idea why someone would suggest a walk from Westlake to Pike Place isn't feasible??? Its 4 blocks level walking. Your getting suggestions so far afield from what your asking I'm hesitant to add any more input. I think you got the plan down by getting to a downtonw hotel, parking the bags and explore for a bit then get to Seatac.

Yes, my plan for the time being is taxi to Westin at Westlake, drop bags, decide what to do from there according to how much time we have, then light rail to airport.

How much time should we allow to walk from the light rail station into the airport? I've read it's not real close.

Google maps is telling me it will take almost an hour to take Light Rail from Westlake Center to SEA-TAC. Is that correct?

More like 35-40 minutes--and since a lot of it is either elevated track or tunnel, traffic isn't a big factor. But I do always pad travel time, just on principle, if I have a plane to catch!

it depends on the airline. United and Alaska are closest. Others I'd allow 15 minutes. You can rent a cart once at the airport station to make it easier.

This is true for the check-in counter, but all United and some Alaska flights leave from a satellite terminal that is reached by a underground train.

Security lines at SEATAC can be long too.

Archived