Amazon river cruise

Acrusa

We are thinking of doing our own 3 or 4 day river cruise on the Amazon from Mananus. The question really is my wife has a fobia about BUGS.She has heard diffrent things about this type of river cruise.Any suggestions for tour operaters for this type of short crusie?

• 2 weeks later...

The bugs are mainly at night and around the lights. They are hosed off the decks pretty early in the morning and shouldn't be any biting kind anyway. Mainly, moths and beetles that are night bugs, as I have said.

Are you planning to spend 3 or 4 days and then go back to Manaus ? That city is 1,000 miles inland, so you couldn't really get out of Amazonia and fly home.

We have been to the Amazon 2 times - 2009 and this month and enjoyed each time. Check with Rudolpho at www.amazondestinations.com , we had a wonderful day with him and 7 of us. He is a great tour guide and person to work with.

You say you just want to take a Manaus cruise (to Belem?; I thought that took 4-5 days) on your own, not one that's part of a larger cruise, which I believe would leave out cruise ships such as the Princess ships (going from and/or to the U.S.). Do your research and be aware, as you may already be, taht a large variety of ships sail this route, many of them smaller ships where most people sleep in hammocks on the deck. Some friends took such a "crüise" and had a small cabin (very noisy, they said). I've heard some larger ships stick to the center of the river channel, so you may not really see much, excpet for when you dock. My mother and a friend took a 2-day boat trip out of Manaus (smaller ship but it had private cabins) and then stayed in an upscale jungle lodge. You could probably find other trips of 3-4 days leaving from and returning to Manaus, going upriver, on the Rio Negros, etc. Maybe that's what you had in mind.

What time of year are you going? December, for example, will be wetter and warmer and, perhaps, buggier, than, say, June. Anti-malarial prophylaxis recommended in most seasons, I believe.

You coulod fly to Manaus non-stop from Miami on TAM.

Where else in Brazil are you going? The Amazon forest is great for scenery, but a bit dense to see wildlife. If you want to see wildlife, I think the best area could be the Pantanal wetlands, on the border with Bolivia. Lots of tours, lodges, etc. Of course, for some, seeing the Amazon is a goal.

[quote name=wowzo;33027950Are you planning to spend 3 or 4 days and then go back to Manaus ? That city is 1' date='000 miles inland, so you couldn't really get out of Amazonia and fly home.

.[/quote]

Unless they fly to or from Miami, on TAM. I think Delta cut its non-stop flights to Atlanta. Years ago, Varig flew non-stop between Manaus and LAX. No more.

Hi Tony, You were a help to us planning our trip and esp. Fortaleza, Thanks.

I read into the OP question - a 3/4 day trip then fly home out of the Amazon, etc. Definitely fly in & out of Manaus , if needed, otherwise taking a cruise in & out of Fl to the Amazon is the best.

M.A.

Iberostar does cruises going upriver from Manaus. We saw their ship when we were out on a day excursion from Manaus. And I'll definitely second the recommendation of getting in touch with Rudolpho. The trip we did with him was probably the best shore excursion we've ever done on a cruise. (Pictures from that trip in the Amazon section on my website, linked in my sig.)

Iberostar does cruises going upriver from Manaus. We saw their ship when we were out on a day excursion from Manaus. And I'll definitely second the recommendation of getting in touch with Rudolpho. The trip we did with him was probably the best shore excursion we've ever done on a cruise. (Pictures from that trip in the Amazon section on my website, linked in my sig.)

I resurched this on ISRAM tours they do alot of booking for this Iberostar. The problem is they only do a 4 night that leaves on Sunday and ends on Thursday.Our crusie from Oceania leaves out of Rio on Friday Wont take a chance on missing the cruise.

The 3 day starts on Thursday and ends on Sunday. That would mean we would have to stay in Rio for 6 days too long I think.

So we are planing to get to Rio on Tuesday and check into the Sofitel for3 days pre crusie the go to Iguazu Falls post cruise with Oceania.

Archived