Sharks

aberthelot

We just returned from a cruise to Cozumel. We booked a beginners snorkel through Carnival and we loved it! I wanted to know if anyone ever encountered a shark while snorkeling? We were not very far from the shore and I am pretty sure a shark swam past me twice. This is when I decided to get out of the water!

Yes, I've seen sharks while snorkeling. I saw several nurse sharks on my trip to the Turks & Caicos. If you leave them alone then they should leave you alone-nothing to get freaked out about!

Well, my instructor also went swimming to shore and he would not tell me if it was a shark or not. A woman from Canada was in Cancun last year and she lost her arm and leg due to a shark attack while walking in waist deep water. It freaks me out! Sorry!

Only sharks I've seen are Nurse Sharks and Black tips...

One dive I saw 4 nurse sharks huddled together.

I've also seen an 8ft nurse shark... they usually stay on the bottom, Nurse sharks are not aggressive at all. I've even seen a diver on our trip come up behind one and grab its tail... it startled me at first, but then the nurse shark just wiggled and swam off.

Only thing that has worried me on a dive in CZM was an agressive EEL. Those things look nasty and vicious... LOL

I ended up swimming with schools? of nurse sharks near the Barrier Reef off Australia. Didnt even realize it until I was walking down the pier to get back on the tour boat:eek:

Ignorance was Bliss!

Hahahah...yes, if I had known how common the nurse sharks are in Coz, I probably would not have tried snorkeling there. Knowing me, I would probably try it again!

As many times as I've been in the water at Coz I never even thought about sharks-yikes!! But i will be thinking about them when I return in May!

Hi,

they tend to stay very close to the bottom. The water was rough that day and I would not have spotted the shark if I was just swimming on top of the water.

Been diving many times in Cozumel and the only shark I have ever seen is nurse sharks. They will not bother you and most of the time are just laying on the bottom. On an extremely rare occassion you might see another type of shark. That's what I love about Cozumel I can go night diving and not worry what is swimming around. In fact most divers hope to encounter a shark other than a nurse shark but rarely happens.

PICT0243.jpg

PICT0635.jpg

We've seen blacktip and nurse sharks all over the carribean. Nothing much to worry about as long as you leave them be. Honestly the only times I have had pause was in the Virgin islands getting too close to a big Moray in Hawaii and up close and personal with a 6-7 foot Barracuda in Grand Cayman.....

• 5 weeks later...
My fear is...if I was to see a shark, I wouldn't know what it was to begin with (what type whether it be a nurse shark or otherwise) to know what to do. :eek:

Hi,

How was your cruise? We are looking at the NCL to Alaska (The Sun).

Archived