YIKES! Wine prices seem to be going up...

ASIWISH

Topsham - that's an intriguing idea. How would you go about requesting a special order? We have a 35 day cruise coming up, and my last (and only) cruise on HAL I didn't find much wine on board that I liked. Fortunately I'd brought a few bottles on board from Barcelona, but this time it won't work out like that.

Call Seattle, Shipboard Services and ask them if they could supply a case (or more) of XYZ for you on your cruise. I purchased the complete stock up front. In those days there was no added gratuitity so I just tipped the steward in the old fashioned manner.

I told the wine steward to bring a bottle to the table and when it was empty to bring a new one. Hassle free.

Negeotiate a price with HAL.... and pay the service charge... but NOT $18 corkage. Might work quite well.

Of course these daus the company is quite a bit bigger and such an arrangement might not be possible... worth a try. That is what service on a Grand Voyage is all about!

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WINE!

Everyone has As You Wish Dining on HAL. ;)

Hmmmmm. Possibly!

It still does not beat Grills on the Cunard ships or even Saga where you have one sitting only but you can have your table anytime between 7 and 9. That is real 'as you wish'.;)

Thanks Topsham - I'll give it a try! Since I live near Seattle but we're sailing from Boston, I'm not sure how to know what's available to them there. I guess I'll make a preliminary, exploratory call just to see whether it's even still possible.

Thanks Topsham - I'll give it a try! Since I live near Seattle but we're sailing from Boston, I'm not sure how to know what's available to them there. I guess I'll make a preliminary, exploratory call just to see whether it's even still possible.

We get few WA state wines in Massachusetts. We are not permitted to order for shipping from out of state. Of course, a company such as HAL can supply wherever they want (for the most part) but individuals are limited.

We can only purchase wines sold here.

When we sailed out of Boston this past May, we found a really delightful wine shop called the Boston Wine Exchange at 181 Devonshire St. They are a block and a half from the Downtown Crossing T Station (we loved the Boston subway, a great way to get around). Very easy to find. They have a website, Facebook page, and may even deliver to your hotel if it is close. We went there and hand trucked a case and a half back to our hotel via the T. The guys that own it are delightful, knowledgeable, and happily give quantity discounts. The shop is not huge but the selection is good, the prices are competitive, and the service was excellent. Have no reservations about recommending them. When we sail from Boston again, we will be visiting them. :)

The wine price increase is directly related to the increased price of oil! OK, here's my logic. Wine is often referred to as the "oil of conversation". I rest my case. Actually, I can't afford a case, just 4 bottles.:D

When we sailed out of Boston this past May, we found a really delightful wine shop called the Boston Wine Exchange at 181 Devonshire St. They are a block and a half from the Downtown Crossing T Station (we loved the Boston subway, a great way to get around). Very easy to find. They have a website, Facebook page, and may even deliver to your hotel if it is close. We went there and hand trucked a case and a half back to our hotel via the T. The guys that own it are delightful, knowledgeable, and happily give quantity discounts. The shop is not huge but the selection is good, the prices are competitive, and the service was excellent. Have no reservations about recommending them. When we sail from Boston again, we will be visiting them. :)

That certainly sounds like the best solution for anyone sailing from Boston!:cool:

you love our subway I am embassed by it

Archived