YIKES! Wine prices seem to be going up...

ASIWISH

I guess the answer to the ???? is that if you want your specific wine carry it onboard and take it to the DR and pay the corkage fee. We are also 4 Star Mariners and we bring wine onboard for in-room consumption preparing for dinner, etc. but also purchase to wine package for in the DR. We enjoy the choices HAL has in their packages but I suppose if you are a "wine expert" then bring your own if you do not like to price or choices. I agree with others, some day HAL will stop the carry-on and then the playing field will be leveled.

There is a secret to all this and apparently HAL are not aware of it!

LOWER the price to wines to reflect shore prices or even closer to the point where passengers will say, "What's the point carrying wine to the ship, all the hassle and then pay corkage on top when I can buy something reasonable on board for the same or nearly the same price?"

Result will be that no one will bother to bring their own wines and those that can't be bothered will then consider wine on board a good deal and will start buying.

Same goes for Duty Free. Lower the prices so they reflect the same or similar prices that you can buy Duty Free in any port and passengers will ssoon start thinking, "Why should I buy Duty Free in XYZ port when I can get it from the shop on board?"

Also... offer carafes of wine in the dining room for $15 or $20... enough for four glasses. Some passengers like a glass or two but not a whole bottle for $50... but want more than a single glass.

On Saga Cruises you can purchase exceptional wines for about $16... and no grats. Everyone drinks!

In the old days Oceaan bar used to be packed most of the day and certainly every evening. People's habitts have not changed but their spending has. Cruise lines have lowered their cruise prrices to attract customers.... why play a completely different game with booze on board?

If the price is right people will have one , two, three or more drinks. Overpice the stuff and they will order water or ice tea.

Revenue, revenue, revenue. Yeah, yeah, yeah... we hear it all time. It is just possible that the falling revenues are due wines, beers and spirits be overpriced? Lower the prices and use a bit of brain power to market the bars on board. Anyone can push up prices to make more money... in the short term. As we say, "How is that working for ya?"

Yes to all of this.

I love the idea of them offering a decent carafe of wine.

We love Vino de Casa carafes in places that offer it. It is often (usually) pretty decent. :)

Ships are more limited in storage space and have less access to supplies when compared to land based businesses, so they may not be able to go as wide and deep.

You are probably right but if HAL would only lower their prices within reason, perhaps to just what Fla restaurants charge for their bottles, perhaps less people would bring wine on board..I'm sure that as long as Oceania permits their psgrs to bring wine & liquor on board without restrictions, HAL will continue to permit their psgrs to bring wine on board..A case would be too darn much for us to bring on board...

We are four star people and never buy the wine packages but have wine with our dinner every evening.

Well we are 4 star & we do buy Hal's wine packages..Also bought them when we were three star at a 25% discount..You don't have to choose your wine all at once..You can wait until you are ready to have the next bottle served.. Years ago we would bring 4 bottles on board (in the Publix bag) for in cabin consumption & still purchased a drink in one of the lounges or ordered a glass of wine with dinner, but it's just not worth it to us to bring our wine on board any more..Also if I have a drink or two before dinner, I can't handle wine with dinner any more..;)

Cheers...:)Betty

There is a secret to all this and apparently HAL are not aware of it!

LOWER the price to wines to reflect shore prices or even closer to the point where passengers will say, "What's the point carrying wine to the ship, all the hassle and then pay corkage on top when I can buy something reasonable on board for the same or nearly the same price?"

Result will be that no one will bother to bring their own wines and those that can't be bothered will then consider wine on board a good deal and will start buying.

Same goes for Duty Free. Lower the prices so they reflect the same or similar prices that you can buy Duty Free in any port and passengers will ssoon start thinking, "Why should I buy Duty Free in XYZ port when I can get it from the shop on board?"

Also... offer carafes of wine in the dining room for $15 or $20... enough for four glasses. Some passengers like a glass or two but not a whole bottle for $50... but want more than a single glass.

On Saga Cruises you can purchase exceptional wines for about $16... and no grats. Everyone drinks!

In the old days Oceaan bar used to be packed most of the day and certainly every evening. People's habitts have not changed but their spending has. Cruise lines have lowered their cruise prrices to attract customers.... why play a completely different game with booze on board?

If the price is right people will have one , two, three or more drinks. Overpice the stuff and they will order water or ice tea.

Revenue, revenue, revenue. Yeah, yeah, yeah... we hear it all time. It is just possible that the falling revenues are due wines, beers and spirits be overpriced? Lower the prices and use a bit of brain power to market the bars on board. Anyone can push up prices to make more money... in the short term. As we say, "How is that working for ya?"

FANTASTIC Idea :):):)

Why don't you write to Stein Kruse & suggest it to him..You would have much more clout than we would!

Cheers...Betty

P.S. It's sad that HAL will not go into Bermuda after this year:(:(..We loved our cruise there & loved your beautiful island..:D

<sniP>

Well we are 4 star & we do buy Hal's wine packages..Also bought them when we were three star at a 25% discount..You don't have to choose your wine all at once..You can wait until you are ready to have the next bottle served.. Years ago we would bring 4 bottles on board (in the Publix bag) for in cabin consumption & still purchased a drink in one of the lounges or ordered a glass of wine with dinner, but it's just not worth it to us to bring our wine on board any more..Also if I have a drink or two before dinner, I can't handle wine with dinner any more..;)

Cheers...:)Betty

We tried the Navigator Package once and they limited us to wines that did not appeal to us at all. When we asked why the choices were so limited, we were told that was all that was available for the package. We cancelled it, purchased whatever wines we wanted in the dining room and never bothered about the package again.

Maybe we hit it when their stock was low, the wine steward might have needed more training or whatever but it did not work well for us.

Happy others have had better luck or gotten better choices than we were given.

Oh I have mentioned it before and I get a few horrified looks and the usual comment... "You just don't understand."

Well, it is no different from after Christmas sales. The price drops and everyone buys... no matter what... even if they have no use for the item.

On Saga ships, even with low prices, you are allowed to bring any alcohol on board aat any port and keep it in your cabin or take it to the dining room or bar. You can even give it to the bar tender to look after for you.

As far as the company is concerned it is your buisiness what you do with your purchases. But guess what.... passengers might bring bottles back on boaard... ssomething special to take home from the cruise but the vast majority don't bother so the few that wissh to bring stiff back... they don't get bother from anyone!

Hi

If you bring your wine on board will they still keep it for you next meal? Or do you have to bring it back to state room.

Hal will never stop people from bringing wine on boad. they Get 18.00 for nothing.

Mary

They will keep it for you, and more times than not have it waiting on your table for you when you arrive....

They've done it for us each night, and we have never had fixed dining... but, we may have just been lucky.

Ditto. Since your wine bottle is stored by your cabin # and you tell them your cabin # when you go to the Dining Room, the bottle follows you whether you have fixed or open seating.

How did they know when and where you were dining? :confused:

Maybe I'm just memorable, Peter...!!!!!

.... and maybe they see our reservations made the day before - in which they assign us a table - thus, knowing where and when we will be sitting a full 24-hours before we arrive.

(I think the second choice is how they know!!! So, in effect, it is like fixed-dining. So, i think your point is valid)

... but I am memorable, too!!!

.... and maybe they see our reservations made the day before - in which they assign us a table - thus, knowing where and when we will be sitting a full 24-hours before we arrive.

(I think the second choice is how they know!!! So, in effect, it is like fixed-dining. So, i think your point is valid)

Yes! I win! :D

As I said, tracking the dregs remaining in an open bottle day after day must be a real nuisance for the wine stewards... they certaainly do earn their grats. I rarely have the problem of an unfinished bottle of wine!:D

I'm trying As Yo Wsh for the first time in May. Will be an experience I'm sure!

I'm trying As Yo Wsh for the first time in May. Will be an experience I'm sure!

A good tip for "As You Wish" is to pick your table on the first day and then MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS 48-HOURS IN ADVANCE.

I'm told most people book 12-24 hours in advance, so you are guaranteed to always get your table... this tip has worked FLAWLESSLY for us over many cruises. As soon as we get home from dinner, we make our reservation for the day after next...

Enjoy...!

hi

I did not mean it would take away from the wine stewards. I bought wine last year at the table and I am in no mood to lug a bunch of bottles on board. I did have two bottles I bought and I gave it to the stewards my last day

Mary

Sheila: I'll let you know next week...

Hey, what if HAL just bought Total Wine! Problem solved...!!!!!

(I think I saw Columbia Crest Grand Estates in my November cruise. It was $3,421/bottle on HAL.... :D:D:D)

Even if HAL bought total wine,you'd still have the guy that must have his gluten free Boones Farm Strawberry year 1974.

You can always request your own special preference for wine to be supplied as a private order.

I did back in 1995... World Cruise in the old ROTTERDAM...12 CASES of Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cab Sav. I went through 11 cases. The last case was left in the cellar and finished off later same year on the Grand South Pacific Cruise!! In 1998 I was back on the ship as REMBREANDT and the F&B Manager found one bottle in the cellar with my name on it. It was a good investment. I think the price I paid was something like $21 a bottle.

you can always request your own special preference for wine to be supplied as a private order.

I did back in 1995... World cruise in the old rotterdam...12 cases of wolf blass yellow label cab sav. I went through 11 cases. The last case was left in the cellar and finished off later same year on the grand south pacific cruise!! In 1998 i was back on the ship as rembreandt and the f&b manager found one bottle in the cellar with my name on it. It was a good investment. I think the price i paid was something like $21 a bottle.

great story!!!

Topsham - that's an intriguing idea. How would you go about requesting a special order? We have a 35 day cruise coming up, and my last (and only) cruise on HAL I didn't find much wine on board that I liked. Fortunately I'd brought a few bottles on board from Barcelona, but this time it won't work out like that.

Archived