great pub in Dublin?

we've never been to Ireland , and we have a TA planned for next month.

does anyboday know of a great local, authentic Irish pub they can recommend?

we have read about the Temple bar (and that surrounding group of bars )

but we'd like to be with some locals for the experience, maybe some music and the Guiness, of course.:)

thanks!

but we'd like to be with some locals for the experience, maybe some music and the Guiness, of course.:)

thanks!

Hi,

I had better say at once that, for me, a pub should have neither music nor television. It is a place for good conversation and serious drinking. And while music is easy to avoid in Dublin pubs, the baleful influence of Sky Sports is pervasive.

A pleasant place for a quiet, television free, drink in the Grafton Street area of central Dublin is Peter's Pub: http://www.peterspub.ie/

Some well-known, venerable Dublin pubs are The Long Hall, Mulligans of Poolbeg Street, Doheny and Nesbitts, and Toners. They can all be found on Google.

The pubs in Temple Bar, with over-amplified, so-called 'Irish' music, cater very much for the tourist market. There are lots of them as a walk in the area will demonstrate.

On the off chance that you may be in Dublin on the first Tuesday of a month, the Pipers' Club hold a session of traditional music on that date in the Cobblestone bar in the Smithfield area. There is an admission charge of €12, but you get the genuine article: http://www.pipers.ie/home/_events.htm

Just shout if you need any further help.

Dermot

Mairnealach,

thanks for the info...I guess in the short time we get to visit Dublin, we wanted the pub to have it all....music , good beer and even good food.

we wanted to sight-see and get the feel of the city as much as we can and then stop to eat and drink.

I keep thinking Temple bar may be too commercial an area, but it might also be fun............so much to contemplate.:)

thanks again.

When we were in Dublin last year, we went to the National Museums (so amazing and free) then we took a taxi up to Guinness for the tour, (really cool) and then on the way back in the taxi asked the driver to take us to a great pub. I'm really sorry, but I can't remember the name. We told him we didn't want "tourist pub" but a good pub. I would suggest asking a taxi driver. Oh, and there was no music during the day, but plenty of Guinness (which tastes SO good in Ireland!)

Not much music during the day, it doesn't usually start til after supper.

They will have an advert outside if there is live music.

I've done the Guiness tour, and am probably the only one who would speak up and say..... nothing much except a free pint (which you pay for in tour ticket price) at the end of the tour, and a great view of Dublin.

Bypass the tour, and head to the top for a pint. Tip: there is a sweet little pay parking spot at the end of the street.

thanks!

http://www.merryploughboys.com/

We went there last year on a trip to Dublin and had a great time. Check their website out and they even run a coach transfer from the City Centre to the pub, or your hotel concierge can arrange a pick up for you - ours did and we still just paid their normal coach fare - and returned us safely to our hotel. It's quite a busy place but gives you everything you want to experience under one roof - music, dancers, good food, and of course the drink and craic! There were mainly tourists there and you all sit at long tables which makes it great fun.

Would thoroughly recommend it. Do have a look at their website - you can book before you go (we did that and it was easy and no problem at all).

I've done the Guiness tour, and am probably the only one who would speak up and say..... nothing much except a free pint (which you pay for in tour ticket price) at the end of the tour, and a great view of Dublin.

I concur. But the Guinness Storehouse does have the warrant of American Presidents and the Crowned Heads of Europe :D

Mairnealach,

thanks for the info...I guess in the short time we get to visit Dublin, we wanted the pub to have it all....music , good beer and even good food.

we wanted to sight-see and get the feel of the city as much as we can and then stop to eat and drink.

I keep thinking Temple bar may be too commercial an area, but it might also be fun............so much to contemplate.:)

thanks again.

I may have appeared too sniffy about Temple Bar. I have been there on the night before a Welsh rugby international when it was heaving and definitely fun.

If you only have a day, not an overnight, in Dublin then the Oliver St John Gogarty pub in Temple Bar has live Irish music every day from 2.30pm: http://www.gogartys.ie/pub/

It is situated at the eastern end of Temple Bar which is nearest to Trinity College and the National Museum. Before heading there, you can get a decent lunch in the café of the Kilkenny Shop on Nassau Street, but try to get there before 1pm when it fills up with office workers.

Enjoy your visit.

Dermot

I may have appeared too sniffy about Temple Bar. I have been there on the night before a Welsh rugby international when it was heaving and definitely fun.

Dermot

YIKES:eek: I can hear the cursing, smell the billowing clouds of smoke, and can feel the Guiness dripping off my sleeves and hems and pants..... Sounds like great fun!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

My husband, who when we lived there appeared to go to enormous efforts to research the perfect pint, says Mulligans in Poolbeg st, personally I think it a little bare (not a beer drinker). We did spend an awful lot of time in Chaplins, a wee pub in Hawkins st, that I remember fondly.

The Brazen Head is Ireland's oldest pub (supposedly) and despite this is actually quite decent and unspoiled.

Most Dublin pubs serve awful wine, but there is a nice Italian deli wine bar called a Taste of Emilia, Lower Liffey St, that is just great. My husband was extremely disturbed to find it didn't have beer at all, in Dublin !

Doyles....... if Public Order hasn't closed it down yet.

Head to Temple Bar area, and you'll find tons of folks drinking and smoking outside great pubs.

OK people first of all I love Guinness. Plus I'm learning to like Scottish Malt Whisky. My absolute favorite is Glenmoranjie aged in Port barrels http://www.glenmorangie.com/. My question is what Irish should I try?

I concur. But the Guinness Storehouse does have the warrant of American Presidents and the Crowned Heads of Europe :D

Does anyone know what is the big deal in the US for Guinness Black Lager? Just what is that supposed to be?

Does anyone know what is the big deal in the US for Guinness Black Lager? Just what is that supposed to be?

"The Workman's Friend"

When things go wrong and will not come right,

Though you do the best you can,

When life looks black as the hour of night -

A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and hard to get

And your horse has also ran,

When all you have is a heap of debt -

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,

And your face is pale and wan,

When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare

And no rashers grease your pan,

When hunger grows as your meals are rare -

In time of trouble and lousey strife,

You have still got a darlint plan

You still can turn to a brighter life -

-- Flann O'Brien (Brian O'Nolan)

• 2 weeks later...
We had lunch in the Brazenhead pub, the oldest pub in Ireland

Classic pub with a great ambience

Srpilo

It may be the second oldest. They lost the oldest distinction recently. They have a great Guinness stew. It's a fun place. But it seemed like they were as interested in lunch and dinner service as they are with being a drinking bar. If you're on a cruise, I'd recommend it more for lunch with beer than a place just for drinks.

Hi,

I had better say at once that, for me, a pub should have neither music nor television. It is a place for good conversation and serious drinking. And while music is easy to avoid in Dublin pubs, the baleful influence of Sky Sports is pervasive.

A pleasant place for a quiet, television free, drink in the Grafton Street area of central Dublin is Peter's Pub: http://www.peterspub.ie/

Some well-known, venerable Dublin pubs are The Long Hall, Mulligans of Poolbeg Street, Doheny and Nesbitts, and Toners. They can all be found on Google.

The pubs in Temple Bar, with over-amplified, so-called 'Irish' music, cater very much for the tourist market. There are lots of them as a walk in the area will demonstrate.

On the off chance that you may be in Dublin on the first Tuesday of a month, the Pipers' Club hold a session of traditional music on that date in the Cobblestone bar in the Smithfield area. There is an admission charge of €12, but you get the genuine article: http://www.pipers.ie/home/_events.htm

Just shout if you need any further help.

Dermot

I was always very partial to The Old Stand, otherwise I can't fault your suggestions.

The Dawson Lounge is always a bit of a squeeze!!

Not according to them --> http://www.brazenhead.com/

I think I found it right...

Srpilo

"While it is unclear how much of the original 11th century coach house is still intact" This quote is from the Brazen Heads website. Grace Neill's is still the original bar through the front door. Whilst there is a vast difference in the dates they quote for establishment both make the claim of oldest bar in Ireland on their websites

/www.graceneills.com/

It may be the second oldest. They lost the oldest distinction recently. They have a great Guinness stew. It's a fun place. But it seemed like they were as interested in lunch and dinner service as they are with being a drinking bar. If you're on a cruise, I'd recommend it more for lunch with beer than a place just for drinks.

We went there as well at the end of a taxi tour. Had the fab stew and a Guinness. By the way I'm not a Guinness fan but had to have one while in Dublin. It was a completely different beer than I had had in the states.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my son to Dublin when he was in his mid-teens, and I made it a point to check out this historic pub, and it was so great we returned: http://www.odonoghues.ie/

It is near Merrion Square, of Oscar Wilde fame. The first time we went, a group of old gents were singing traditional songs at the bar. When we stopped in another early evening, there was a craic going on with people singing and playing Irish instruments.

We met two guys named Ian and Nigel who recommended a shandy for my son as being an age appropriate drink, and gave us directions to a soccer match the next day as "It would be grand for the lad!"

On Princess British Isles in a week and will be going back with my college aged daughter, where we can BOTH have a Guinness, LOL.

Archived