Automatic Gratuities

Cool Waters

I think that people who are cheap and don't agree with the set amount always ask to "tip on their own"...

nope..in our case...we just feel that it is too much for a family of 6...and that is why I will be having them reduce the ($900 to about $600 on the next cruise...for a 12 night cruise...$50 per day from our family is more than sufficient.

and please do not tell me how much work they do...

I am not cheap by any means...but on our next cruise...for 2 cabins for us and our children...our tips will be almost $900 for a 12 day cruise!

There is no way I am going for anything extra...and as a matter of fact..since $900 is way too much...regardless of all the "behind the scenes":rolleyes: people that are working to make my cruise perfect....I might just remove a couple of hundred in tips anyway....

go ahead..flame away..it really doesn't matter to me...but before you do...ask yourself just how much in tips you left for you and your family the you last went on vacation....I will bet it wasnt $900...and I will bet that you left the hotel maid less than $20 a day and your meal tips were also much less than on a ship...

I am also going to bet that you DID NOT tip the maintanence guy that was washing the floor at your hotel!

sorry...and don't say if we can't afford it..then don't cruise....$900 for tips is too much and will probably be reduced to $500 or $600 for our family...

and too bad...it is not my job to pay the maintenance workers salaries...and since I didn't price the cruise...the cruiseline did that....let them figure out a way to pay their employees!

I would love to see the look on your face if your boss came up to you and said "sorry, I think $x is too much to pay you for the work you did last pay period so I'm going to reduce it to $y". And I will say if you can't afford it, don't cruise;). You know going in what is expected (and IMHO $11.50 a day is a great deal considering all that you get) and to arbitrarily reduce it is petty.

I would love to see the look on your face if your boss came up to you and said "sorry, I think $x is too much to pay you for the work you did last pay period so I'm going to reduce it to $y". And I will say if you can't afford it, don't cruise;). You know going in what is expected (and IMHO $11.50 a day is a great deal considering all that you get) and to arbitrarily reduce it is petty.

if it weren't forced on me..which btw..it isn't...then maybe you are right..it is an OK deal..not great by any means....but since the cruiseline came up with the amount..not me...then I don't have to agree with it...

I guess it is just too bad then...because $600 is more than enough...

sorry it has to bother you...but $600 it will be for my family of 6....and if that sounds cheap to you...so be it!:D

and for the record...employees are taking pay cut all the time from their employers..due to the economy:rolleyes:...some employees take it and stay...some don't and quit.....we have decided to cruis...and to tip on our own terms....

FWIW..I am also considering removing all of the tips and tipping cash to the waiters and stewards....and let the cruiseline take care of everyone else...because I can't worry about that...

also FWIW...these threads have only helped to reinforce my thinking about this..because I now know I am not alone in removing tips and giving cash...I like this idea......

Just read the posts and I agree with Luvtheships. Everything you wrote makes sense to me. I totally agree with your points.

As I mentioned on another post, my tipping is not influenced by the worker missing his kids back home, how many hours they work a day, how many days in a row they work etc.. it even has little to do with there pay. It has to do with service plain and simple.

if it weren't forced on me..which btw..it isn't...then maybe you are right..it is an OK deal..not great by any means....but since the cruiseline came up with the amount..not me...then I don't have to agree with it...

I guess it is just too bad then...because $600 is more than enough...

sorry it has to bother you...but $600 it will be for my family of 6....and if that sounds cheap to you...so be it!:D

and for the record...employees are taking pay cut all the time from their employers..due to the economy:rolleyes:...some employees take it and stay...some don't and quit.....we have decided to cruis...and to tip on our own terms....

FWIW..I am also considering removing all of the tips and tipping cash to the waiters and stewards....and let the cruiseline take care of everyone else...because I can't worry about that...

also FWIW...these threads have only helped to reinforce my thinking about this..because I now know I am not alone in removing tips and giving cash...I like this idea......

Yes, pay cuts happen all of the time but usually not after the employee has performed the work (and yes, I am aware that the analogy isn't perfect). If you tip the steward and waitstaff in cash (the recommended amount) then you would save $144 by not paying the tip for alternative services, so if you reduce your tips by $300 you are obviously affecting the people that serve you directly.

And as I always say during these types of debates- I am not trying to convince you because your mind is made up, but a lot of people read these threads and I think it's good for them to see both sides of the issue. And FWIW I cruise with a family of 7, so I'm aware of the pain:D, but I budget the recommended amount and only make adjustments if the service warrants it.

Just read the posts and I agree with Luvtheships. Everything you wrote makes sense to me. I totally agree with your points.

As I mentioned on another post, my tipping is not influenced by the worker missing his kids back home, how many hours they work a day, how many days in a row they work etc.. it even has little to do with there pay. It has to do with service plain and simple.

But luvtheships isn't reducing the gratuities because of faulty service.

I don't know why everyone gets their panties in a wad when someone removes or reduces their tips or even decides to pay in cash. Everyone's financial situation is different and nobody has the right to judge. So what's the big problem with someone paying in cash? Not everyone likes a big credit card bill. I know people who won't us a credit card for anything. So according to some of you, if I had a cruise paid in full and got laid off or had an unexpected change in my financial situation and could not afford tips I guess I wound have to cancel my cruise? I think not. The cruise ship employees are adults. They know what to expect when they get hired. If they don't think they will receive a fair wage then they do not have to take the job. I don't believe anyone is shanghaied anymore.

So if a cruise is Sunday to Sunday do they get tipped twice on those days? Once that day for the people coming and once for the people leaving?

let's do the guzintas together.

a sunday to sunday cruise may be 8 days, but it is considered a 7 day cruise as ships as well as hotels count the nights you stay.

so your suggested tips are 7 X $11.50, not 8 X $11.50.

I don't know why everyone gets their panties in a wad when someone removes or reduces their tips or even decides to pay in cash. Everyone's financial situation is different and nobody has the right to judge. So what's the big problem with someone paying in cash? Not everyone likes a big credit card bill. I know people who won't us a credit card for anything. So according to some of you, if I had a cruise paid in full and got laid off or had an unexpected change in my financial situation and could not afford tips I guess I wound have to cancel my cruise? I think not. The cruise ship employees are adults. They know what to expect when they get hired. If they don't think they will receive a fair wage then they do not have to take the job. I don't believe anyone is shanghaied anymore.

There is no problem with paying with cash (a PITA maybe) and there is no problem adjusting tips based on service expectations. Yes, the crew knows what to expect when they are hired which they aren't receiving because of an arbitrary decision. (And we aren't discussing anything close to your scenario.)

So if a cruise is Sunday to Sunday do they get tipped twice on those days? Once that day for the people coming and once for the people leaving?

No, because the departing passengers aren't paying any tips.

let's do the guzintas together.

a sunday to sunday cruise may be 8 days, but it is considered a 7 day cruise as ships as well as hotels count the nights you stay.

so your suggested tips are 7 X $11.50, not 8 X $11.50.

Exactly.

But luvtheships isn't reducing the gratuities because of faulty service.

no..I am reducing the tips this time around simply because tipping close to $900 for my family of 6 is outrageous......and I am not breaking anything down to buffet servers, brass polishers, entertainment workers, dishwashers....

I am simply cutting it back to $600 for my family..let the cruiseline distribute like they please.....

wether or not I give the waiters and steward an extra $20 or $30 in cash..at the end of the cruise is an entirely different matter....

We are all cheap, that is why we are cruising on Carnival.

actually I am going on Princess this time around...and paying a whole lot more..even with recent price reductions..for 2 insides than I would have with CCL.....

regardless, $600 is more than sufficient....on any cruiseline..for a family of 6 for 12 days!:D

Oh I am still putting it on my card..I am just telling Guest Services to reduce it by $300..give or take...and if Guest Services gives me a hard time..which I expect they will...then all the tips get removed and I tip the steward and waiter..we have traditional dining, btw, ...cash..in US dollars..which I will have neatly tucked away for just this sort of thing...

I am a big planner and always have plan B, C and D in the works....

It ain't the issue of not being able to pay it or have access to enough cash:D...it is paying an outrageous amount in tips...just because the ship wants you to pay for all of their operational employees as well as the stewards and waiters...

as far as I am concerned...waiters and stewards should be tipped..and well...just like I do every place else I travel to or eat at....so just because the ship wants me to pay the salaries of the back room workers...doesn't mean I have to...

I really hate the taste of "kool Aid", btw:D:rolleyes:

no..I am reducing the tips this time around simply because tipping close to $900 for my family of 6 is outrageous..........

It ain't the issue of not being able to pay it or have access to enough cash:D...it is paying an outrageous amount in tips...just because the ship wants you to pay for all of their operational employees as well as the stewards and waiters...

Trying to understand your logic here.

Is it outrageous BECAUSE you have a family of 6??

Would it be less outrageous if you had a family of 3 or 4?? :confused: Does the crew suffer just because you have 4 kids??

Doesn't seem quite fair to me.

no..I am reducing the tips this time around simply because tipping close to $900 for my family of 6 is outrageous......and I am not breaking anything down to buffet servers, brass polishers, entertainment workers, dishwashers....

I am simply cutting it back to $600 for my family..let the cruiseline distribute like they please.....

wether or not I give the waiters and steward an extra $20 or $30 in cash..at the end of the cruise is an entirely different matter....

Proportionately it's no more outrageous than $483 for 7 days.

Trying to understand your logic here.

Is it outrageous BECAUSE you have a family of 6??

Would it be less outrageous if you had a family of 3 or 4?? :confused: Does the crew suffer just because you have 4 kids??

Doesn't seem quite fair to me.

actually, if i had a large family, i would probably reduce the tips for the room steward portion if we were all in one room. even at a hotel, housekeeping only gets a 20 for the week.

You can tell what type of person someone is by how he treats others when he doesn't "have to". It's a rule my father taught me, one I live by, and one I used to choose my boyfriend and friends.

I like your father:).

Oh I am still putting it on my card..I am just telling Guest Services to reduce it by $300..give or take...and if Guest Services gives me a hard time..which I expect they will...then all the tips get removed and I tip the steward and waiter..we have traditional dining, btw, ...cash..in US dollars..which I will have neatly tucked away for just this sort of thing...

Since you said that you will be sailing Princess, I just wanted to let you know that if you remove the daily service charge and tip individually with cash, they will not be able to keep it. It will be pooled and divided accordingly. If you leave the daily service charge in place and tip extra in cash, they get to keep it. That's the way that it is handled on Princess.

I could care less what you do (whether I agree with it or not) but I just wanted to pass along that bit of information.

I'm just wondering...........

If they can ask you when you book if you want to prepay your gratuities, why don't they then ask you if you want to take part in the Automatic Gratuities, instead of just adding them to your account?

I think the answer is that it allows them to keep the base fare lower. If they made it "opt-in" instead of "opt-out" they would collect less in gratuities (all things being equal) and have to raise base fares in order to retain their staff.

It's actually a shrewd pricing model that leverages industry customs for pricing.

Archived