Can you rate these Bermuda attractions?

pampaul

Heading to Bermuda on HAL's Veendam in August. We've been to Bermuday once before but we were in King's Wharf and this cruise has a 3 day stop in Hamilton.

I'm looking for things to do while there. We've never been on a cruise that has an over night stay, so I think it'll be nice not to have to worry about time and whether we get back to the ship on time.

I've checked out the cruise line excusions and there really isn't not much that we're interested in.

So I went over to Bermuda.com and have found these excursions. Have you done any of them? Pros/cons? Any tips on what to do?

We'll both be 41 at the time of the cruise. We're not "partiers" by any means. So no bar scene for us. And we'll probably hit one beach during our stay. We've been to Horseshoe Bay Beach before. Not sure of any other beaches. And would it be worth it to take a taxi/bus to other parts of the island other than Hamilton?

Sorry, I hit the button to quickly and forgot to add the excursions we were thinking of doing. Here are a few....

Crystal Caves

Adventure Mini Golf (just for a fun thing to do)

Bermuda Aquarium, Museum & Zoo

Bermuda Train Company (hubby is a big train fanatic)

Heading to Bermuda on HAL's Veendam in August. We've been to Bermuday once before but we were in King's Wharf and this cruise has a 3 day stop in Hamilton.

I'm looking for things to do while there. We've never been on a cruise that has an over night stay, so I think it'll be nice not to have to worry about time and whether we get back to the ship on time.

I've checked out the cruise line excusions and there really isn't not much that we're interested in.

So I went over to Bermuda.com and have found these excursions. Have you done any of them? Pros/cons? Any tips on what to do?

We'll both be 41 at the time of the cruise. We're not "partiers" by any means. So no bar scene for us. And we'll probably hit one beach during our stay. We've been to Horseshoe Bay Beach before. Not sure of any other beaches. And would it be worth it to take a taxi/bus to other parts of the island other than Hamilton?

You can always take the ferry from Hamilton to St George. It has a great little beach there called tobacco bay and its great for Snorkling. St Georges has a few forts to go see and many museums. St George is a quaint town. With you docking in Hamilton, there are some great spots to go to in Hamilton. Great shopping and food. There are a few parks in Hamilton to go see. Victoria Park, Barrs bay park and there is also Fort Hamilton.

You can always go to the Aquarium in the flatts. There are many tours offered also all over the island.

If you have any questions just ask, i just recently have moved to Bermuda and loving it...

Darlene

110% jealous of Darlene who moved to Bermuda... anyway, my main question is- When you say excursion, are you open to building your own itinerary and excursions or are you looking just to find pre-planned/paid things to do?

OH, definately open to doing our own itinerary. We don't necessarily have to do the pre-planned excursions that are offered through Holland America.

Any ideas would be helpful.

As far as the Bermuda Train Company, I think your husband will be disappointed. It is not a train like you would think. It does, however, give you a tour of Hamilton or Dockyard. There is something similar in St. George.

http://bermudatrain.com/

Thanks for that info. Yeah, it's not what I was thinking. Although, it still might be something to do (tour wise)

What about a Segway tour? Neither of us have been on one. Looks interesting though. I have read some reviews that you really need good use of your legs, is that correct? I'm dealing with a knee problem right now (might need surgery, not sure yet)

And speaking of knees....I've read some reviews on the Crystal/Fantasy caves about how they have a bunch of stairs. Can someone tell me if these stairs are steep? Do you go both up & down or do you go down and exit the caves on a lower level? Still looking out for that knee of mine. I'm hoping it's all better by August. I would love to go see these.

And what about personal tour guides. Has anyone used them before? Are they worth it? We've never used one before. Just wondering if you rent their services for an hour or so? Or do they do ones that are a few hours long? Any suggestions on a good one to use?

And speaking of knees....I've read some reviews on the Crystal/Fantasy caves about how they have a bunch of stairs. Can someone tell me if these stairs are steep? Do you go both up & down or do you go down and exit the caves on a lower level? Still looking out for that knee of mine. I'm hoping it's all better by August. I would love to go see these.

And what about personal tour guides. Has anyone used them before? Are they worth it? We've never used one before. Just wondering if you rent their services for an hour or so? Or do they do ones that are a few hours long? Any suggestions on a good one to use?

I've been in Fantasy Cave only but I would think both caves are the same. I had to walk down 88 steps (IIRC) and then walk up the same. Steps were cement with handrails on both sides with maybe 2 rest areas along the way. I don't recall the stairway being any steeper than most.

There is an ongoing thread that discusses tour guides here. The minimum is 3 hours for the private tour at $40.00/hour.

SBtS

In the caves, if you go down, you must go up. There will be stairs in both directions.

The Bermuda Train Company, is more or less, a means of getting around the town to see sites. It definately is not a TRAIN. Good means to get around though. Not air conditioned since it is an open air car that you ride on.

I've been in Fantasy Cave only but I would think both caves are the same. I had to walk down 88 steps (IIRC) and then walk up the same. Steps were cement with handrails on both sides with maybe 2 rest areas along the way. I don't recall the stairway being any steeper than most.

There is an ongoing thread that discusses tour guides here. The minimum is 3 hours for the private tour at $40.00/hour.

SBtS

Just to be sure, the 88 stairs were they all in a row? If so, was the guide patient so people could take their time, or was it a big rush to see how fast they could get everyone up them? I'm not worried about the down, but 88 stairs is like 5 or 6 flights in a standard building if I'm not mistaken. I would not be doing that full speed ahead. :rolleyes:

Just to be sure, the 88 stairs were they all in a row? If so, was the guide patient so people could take their time, or was it a big rush to see how fast they could get everyone up them? I'm not worried about the down, but 88 stairs is like 5 or 6 flights in a standard building if I'm not mistaken. I would not be doing that full speed ahead. :rolleyes:

I don't remember the stairs being in a row but having landings where there was a change in direction of the stairs. There were at least 2 rest points where people could sit. I was the last one up in our group and there was no one urging me to be faster except for SWMBO.

SBtS

I don't remember the stairs being in a row but having landings where there was a change in direction of the stairs. There were at least 2 rest points where people could sit. I was the last one up in our group and there was no one urging me to be faster except for SWMBO.

SBtS

The stairs are pretty much in line. Once you go down the stairs you have to come back up the same stairs to exit. Consequently, the next group can't enter the caves until your group comes back out. The only people hurrying you along will be the people running the caves. They give you a certain amount of time before bringing everyone back out. The stairs are wide and steps are not too high and everyone takes their time entering and leaving. I think it was about a 30 minute or so round trip.

I strongly suggest you be at the caves when they open (at 9 AM I think). If you are among the first group, you can beat the large crowds that will line up later in the morning, not to mention the excursion buses from the ships that will also be arriving adding to the backlog.

We liked the Aquarium and Zoo. The Aquariam was fun with very large fish tanks. The zoo was very clean and did not smell like most. Lots of animals wondering around, including the very cute Lion Tamarinds ( an Orange colored monkey, actually a marmoset). The snack bar was decent, food ok but with patio containing tables and chairs and great views of the water. It was nice and relaxing to just sit there.

There was also a Natural History part, which we mostly skipped.

OH, definately open to doing our own itinerary. We don't necessarily have to do the pre-planned excursions that are offered through Holland America.

Any ideas would be helpful.

We were on The Veedam last year in June. The best part is that you are docked in Hamilton, which is located right in the middle of the island. It cuts down on the travel time time to St George as compared to being docked at the dockyard. We loved the central location of Hamilton.

Since you are already in Hamilton, I recommend touring Fort Hamilton. You can see the entire island in almost any direction, tremendous views and great pictures. The best part is that the moat has been turned into a botanical garden. THere were some amazing oversized plants and trees and since the walls are 30 feet high, nicely shaded, a nice cool walk in the summer heat.

Walking back from the fort is doable, since it is downhill. But the walk up was difficult as it is very steep. I was beat by the time we got to the top, and I have good knees. A taxi ride is well worth the expense and takes right to the entrance.

The stairs are pretty much in line. Once you go down the stairs you have to come back up the same stairs to exit. Consequently, the next group can't enter the caves until your group comes back out. The only people hurrying you along will be the people running the caves. They give you a certain amount of time before bringing everyone back out. The stairs are wide and steps are not too high and everyone takes their time entering and leaving. I think it was about a 30 minute or so round trip.

I strongly suggest you be at the caves when they open (at 9 AM I think). If you are among the first group, you can beat the large crowds that will line up later in the morning, not to mention the excursion buses from the ships that will also be arriving adding to the backlog.

We liked the Aquarium and Zoo. The Aquariam was fun with very large fish tanks. The zoo was very clean and did not smell like most. Lots of animals wondering around, including the very cute Lion Tamarinds ( an Orange colored monkey, actually a marmoset). The snack bar was decent, food ok but with patio containing tables and chairs and great views of the water. It was nice and relaxing to just sit there.

There was also a Natural History part, which we mostly skipped.

Did you do both caves or just the Fantasy cave? One review said that there were more stairs in the Fantasy cave.

There isn't much of a price difference. Would you do one cave or both?

Thanks for the 9am suggestion. We were trying to decide between a first thing or a last thing in the day.

Just wondering, how long is the ferry ride from Hamilton to St. George? Is taking a bus possible?

Last year there was at most one direct ferry, taking about an hour, from Hamilton to St. George. You have to go via Dockyard otherwise, and that would take about 75 minutes. We won't know what service will be like this summer until the new schedule comes out next month, but I would be very surprised if they reinstate more direct service between the two, with the possible exception of one ferry aimed at serving commuters during the rush hour.

There is always direct bus service between Hamilton and St. George, on several bus lines...1,3,10 and 11. The fastest service is on 10 or 11 at about 50 minutes.

Sorry, I hit the button to quickly and forgot to add the excursions we were thinking of doing. Here are a few....

Crystal Caves

Adventure Mini Golf (just for a fun thing to do)

Bermuda Aquarium, Museum & Zoo

Bermuda Train Company (hubby is a big train fanatic)

The Aquarium, Museum, and Zoo is good. It isn't huge, probably about a two hour visit, more if you spend a lot of time in the museum. Check out the bus map and plan a day. You can do the Aquarium in the AM. then take a bus to St Georges for the afternoon. Tobacco Bay is a nice little beach, and the food stand has good food. Or you can wander around the town for a while if you don't want to make that a beach day. (A good stop along the way after the Aquarium but before St Georges is the famous Swizzle Inn. Have lunch there after the Aquarium. Try to sit on the upstairs porch, where there's a nice breeze.)

I've never done the caves or mini golf, so I'm no help there.

All the buses in Bermuda start at Hamilton, so it's a great place to be docked. Consider bus passes and just go exploring.

Archived