Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

I just cannot get over all the different types of incidents this year within the cruise industry. From Costa, all the Noro outbreaks and all the breakdowns and all the delays.

I don't ever recall hearing all these things on a weekly basis! What is going on?

To all of you that have plans up in the air and for the cruisers on the CB now, I feel for you all and wish the best outcome for your cruises. I know I would be a total reck without concrete answers.

Agonizing on whether to execute plan B and just cancel the CB but we 'd really rather the CB than plan B. I need a crystal ball.

The CB is heading back to San Juan to offload its passengers. It looks like the passengers will be reimbursed and the ship sent to drydock to repair a propeller issue. This is coming from a staff member on the CB. One of the folks from our Roll Call has been in contact with her husband who works on the CB and she has indicated that it is turning around for San Juan to repair the issue in dry dock. I wish the best for all the passengers right now.

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to repari a propeller issue?

Joanne

Agonizing on whether to execute plan B and just cancel the CB but we 'd really rather the CB than plan B. I need a crystal ball.

Tough choice if it was me and this is "me" and I had the option of canceling without too much of a hit I would in a minute cause I can't stand not knowing what I'm doing or hanging by a thread. But again I usually travel with my twins and that's enough stress in it self.

Sleep on it and see how things stand tomorrow!

If you call Princess they will read it to you.

I have no reason to call Princess as I am not booked on an upcoming cruise on any Princess vessel. That said, the Princess website should provide the general public with accurate and up-to-the-minute information about issues concerning the cruiseline. There is nothing posted about the problems onboard the CB at this time.

I have no reason to call Princess as I am not booked on an upcoming cruise on any Princess vessel. That said, the Princess website should provide the general public with accurate and up-to-the-minute information about issues concerning the cruiseline. There is nothing posted about the problems onboard the CB at this time.

If there is nothing posted does that mean nothing is wrong? :confused:

Sorry I don't buy this argument at all. A cruise line has no more power over a mechanical problem than they do the weather. Regular maintainance is constantly being done but it does not guarantee that a failure of some sort might not occur.

Also there is absolutely no comparision between an airline and a cruiseline. When a plane breaks down no one moves creating major problems for all involved. When a cruise line has a problem(especially like this case where the only true "inconvenience" might be missing a port) no one is forced to push the limits.

Whenever you buy anything: a car, a microwave, a stove, etc you expect it to give you years of problem free service. However that is rarely the case and when it does breakdown do you get compensated...only if it is still under warranty. Once it is outside the warranty the only compensation you get is the repair bill. In the case of a cruise your warranty is your cruise contact which makes it clear that no compensation is due. Mechanical problems are a way of life and occur at all levels of our society. If a cruiseline elects to compensate the passenger, he/she should feel happy with anything they get because it is more than what they are actually entitled to. When you agree to the cruise contract you agree to everything included in it. You don't get to pick and choose. If there is a part you don't like than you should decline and find a different vacation.

Maybe it is time for people to stop crying "they should or they have a responsibility or I'll sue" to "I will become responsible for myself or I'll read the entire contract.":rolleyes:

So which cruiseline do you work for? :p

On another note, I hope the rest of their cruise is uneventful yet enjoyable.

So which cruiseline do you work for? :p

On another note, I hope the rest of their cruise is uneventful yet enjoyable.

How long to a problem like the one the ship is having usually take to fix? Does anyone know?

Joanne

Seven pages of posts with very little information. Lots of opinions that do no one any good.

Lots of posts about what happened a month ago, two weeks ago, or last year. Why?

I am sorry for those who are on the Ship or supposed to sail next week. I am sure Princess will take care of all of them. History says they will, eventually anyway.

OOPs, guess I added to the mass of no real information - my bad!

Tough choice if it was me and this is "me" and I had the option of canceling without too much of a hit I would in a minute cause I can't stand not knowing what I'm doing or hanging by a thread. But again I usually travel with my twins and that's enough stress in it self.

Sleep on it and see how things stand tomorrow!

Ha, you kidding I'm wired now sleep is going to require ambien. Meanwhile I'm working on plan C and D :)

i am to sail on CB this coming SUnday.If thecruise is cancelled, would i be entitled to a compensation from PRincess for my flight?. I had exchanged 80000 points aeroplan plus $300.00 for a flight for two from Montreal to San Juan. HOw would i get my points and $300 back?

we are nervous. will also loose 200 dollars for dog babysitting

Nothing posted just means that the Princess "spin doctors" are still working on an appropriate CYA response that paints the cruise line with the most flattering brush.

Mike

That's because they are sending emails about the Royal Princess just got mine!

This is one of those situations where it is better to hope that your cruise goes instead of being cancelled. Even if you had purchased separate travel insurance, airfare purchased with points has zero value; your loss would be limited to the non refundable cash spent. Your points would have to be redeposited according to the terms of your points program.

Princess could decide to offer compensation if they cancel the cruise, but are not under any obligation to do so. It is in their best interests to see that the ship is repaired and operational that week.

Just Curious.....what are your B, C or D plans? We are also on this cruise and we don't know what to do. Should we start looking for other cruises that would fit our week off work, stay home or just play the waiting game:mad:

Princess will normally cover change and reasonable fees to change your flight to a new cruise date, not a refund. Then again, they haven't announced a plan..

i am to sail on CB this coming SUnday.If thecruise is cancelled, would i be entitled to a compensation from PRincess for my flight?. I had exchanged 80000 points aeroplan plus $300.00 for a flight for two from Montreal to San Juan. HOw would i get my points and $300 back?

we are nervous. will also loose 200 dollars for dog babysitting

Just Curious.....what are your B, C or D plans? We are also on this cruise and we don't know what to do. Should we start looking for other cruises that would fit our week off work, stay home or just play the waiting game:mad:

I'm looking at other cruises, St. John or St. Thomas for the week or even renting a condo in PR for the week.

I would look at other options so that when you contact your TA Princess you have a clear idea of what you want, this will speed the process as you know what to ask for..

We were on the Caribbean Jan 29 - Feb 12 and were delayed departing St. Lucia for Grenada by several hours due to propulsion problems. We were scheduled to depart about 6:00pm and didn't depart until close to midnight. Thankfully, Grenada isn't too far distance-wise and we arrived in port on time the next morning.

I'd think it's about time they fix the propulsion problems on this vessel.

I was on this cruise and it was also about 3 hours late leaving PR on Jan 29th with propulsion problems

All,

Here is the latest form on board in a announcement then written statement delivered to cabins. I'm hearing that the next cruise is most likely cancelled, but that is also just rumor, though from what i understand the damages are pretty extensive, there are 2 electric motors on each of the 2 prop shafts, both of the port motors critically failed.

We are presently at sea (reduced speed) en route back to San Juan. Here is the transcript of an announcement and written statement delivered to passengers after setting sail from St. Maarten this evening around 745pm.

Captain’s Announcement

March 13, 2012

St Maarten

Good evening Ladies and Gentleman, this is the captain speaking.

We have a very important announcement to make and I appreciate a few minutes of your time. As you are aware, we have a technical problem and technicians have been onboard reviewing our port propulsion motor. Late this afternoon they advised that the damage will take a significant amount of time to repair.

After careful review and consideration, it has been decided that we will return tonight to San Juan to wait for additional parts and make the necessary repairs. We will arrive tomorrow midday in San Juan and all passengers will be able to stay onboard through Sunday and then resume your plans to return home. For those passengers continuing on through March 18 we will provide you with an update late tomorrow as to the full impact on our next voyage. We sincerely apologize for this change to your cruise holiday.

Please know that we take very seriously any decisions that impact our passengers’ vacations. While Caribbean Princess is fit to sail, making these repairs is necessary and we regret how this has impacted your cruise vacation. Please rest assured that the safety and security of our passengers and crew is our priority.

We, of course, will be issuing all passengers a full refund of their 7-day cruise fare and a credit towards a future cruise. Additional details of this offer will be communicated to you in writing later tomorrow.

Again, you have our sincerest apologies that we are not able to deliver the cruise vacation you expected. We hope you continue to enjoy the excellent weather and all the services and amenities onboard Caribbean Princess.

<<Signature>>

Craig Street

Captain

Caribbean Princess

Archived