Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

My husband and I will be on CB in April. For us this is our "cruise of a lifetime". We saved for years to be able to get this cruise for our 10th anniversary and it took ALOT for us to find relatives to watch our 3 children. This will be our one and only for a long time, at least while we still have young kids.. So just because it's no sweat off of some people's backs doesn't mean it's not a big deal for others. Not saying you have to be extreme or necessarily have compensation but there are people from opposite spectrums.

I would not let this thread rattle you. I'm sure you will love your cruise of a lifetime. We'll be on the CB for the third time the week before you are, and we've never had a problem and I doubt either of our cruises will have a problem. Don't let some of the attitudes bother you.

Thats too bad, but there are worse places to be stuck (middle of the ocean in pirate territory). Make the most of it, and enjoy the nice weather.

And to add to that, stuck in the middle of the ocean in pirate territory without power...:eek:

At least if you are stuck in port you can treat the ship like a hotel and go off and on as you please.

I will be on vacation where there are no dishes, no beds to make, no taxes or payroll to prepare, etc etc.

Karen

Weather problems = no compensation for missed ports.

Mechanical problems = potential compensation from Princess. (This happened to us when we had mechanical problems on the Star Princess and couldn't dock in Stockholm. Every passenger received an on board credit. Can't say this is Princess policy, or if we had a very persuasive captain who sweet-talked Head Office:confused:.)

Ship doesn't dock and pre-paid private excursions? Companies I've dealt with will provide a refund if the ship doesn't dock. If you don't have internet, the purser's desk might allow you to call.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last month. There was a 'minor' mechanical problem that delayed our arrival and embarkation in San Juan, but only by a couple of hours.

Here's hoping that everyone gets 'close to' the vacation they expected.

I've got the TV tuned to the webcam channel because that's where they broadcast announcements - I'm looking at the dock in St. Maarten and nothing's been announced regarding our status. We had booked (but not prepaid) a private tour in St. Lucia today so we're disappointed but not losing any money. On the plus side, we have Chef's Table tonight and the Maitre D' told us that this week the Executive Chef (with some long fancy title) is on board this week so it should be extra-special.

Can't say there's much suffering going on here.

We were on the Sapphire two years ago headed to the Mexican Rivera. The swine flu broke out and our Captain made the announcement that we could not go ashore. We cruised for five days and they changed our itinerary to San Diego and Catalina Island. We were disappointed but safe and comfortable! The did compensate us each 1/2 of our cruise fair to be used within two years... OK ... so this is the compensated cruise:(:eek: we board on Sunday. I hope they fix the problem and everyone returns safely home.

Never ceases to amaze me how the first words are always how much compensation will we get. The cruise contract clearly states that they have no responsibility when it comes to compensation. Therefore the passengers should be happy with anything they get. As far as I'm concerned missing a port(assuming you do miss one) entitles you to no refund. If you are on vacation and driving to your destination when your engine blows and you are a day late getting to your hotel does anyone compensate you?

There is a big difference between missing a port due to weather and missing a port due to mechanical malfunction. In one case the cruise line had no control - in the other, the cruise line has an obligation to insure that the ship operates properly. If it does not, then some compensation is due. Thats the way airlines operate. If the delay or cancellation is due to weather, costs for meals (for example) are on you. If the delay is mechanical, the meals are on the airline.

JB

There is a big difference between missing a port due to weather and missing a port due to mechanical malfunction. In one case the cruise line had no control - in the other, the cruise line has an obligation to insure that the ship operates properly. If it does not, then some compensation is due. Thats the way airlines operate. If the delay or cancellation is due to weather, costs for meals (for example) are on you. If the delay is mechanical, the meals are on the airline.

JB

Apples vs oranges...I think that if you check the cruise contract, ports can be missed for any reason and nothing needs to be done about it.

Apples vs oranges...I think that if you check the cruise contract, ports can be missed for any reason and nothing needs to be done about it.

That may be true, however, if you are tied to a dock (or anchored) you ain't cruising! :eek: Having dealt with Princess on a number of issues and been very satisfied with the way they treat their customers, I have no doubt that passengers on the Caribbean Princess will receive some type of compensation. Princess is the best!

JB

Thank you for that, the cruise line has a obligation to get you from port to port.

JB

Sorry I don't buy this argument at all. A cruise line has no more power over a mechanical problem than they do the weather. Regular maintainance is constantly being done but it does not guarantee that a failure of some sort might not occur.

Also there is absolutely no comparision between an airline and a cruiseline. When a plane breaks down no one moves creating major problems for all involved. When a cruise line has a problem(especially like this case where the only true "inconvenience" might be missing a port) no one is forced to push the limits.

Whenever you buy anything: a car, a microwave, a stove, etc you expect it to give you years of problem free service. However that is rarely the case and when it does breakdown do you get compensated...only if it is still under warranty. Once it is outside the warranty the only compensation you get is the repair bill. In the case of a cruise your warranty is your cruise contact which makes it clear that no compensation is due. Mechanical problems are a way of life and occur at all levels of our society. If a cruiseline elects to compensate the passenger, he/she should feel happy with anything they get because it is more than what they are actually entitled to. When you agree to the cruise contract you agree to everything included in it. You don't get to pick and choose. If there is a part you don't like than you should decline and find a different vacation.

Maybe it is time for people to stop crying "they should or they have a responsibility or I'll sue" to "I will become responsible for myself or I'll read the entire contract.":rolleyes:

Maybe it is time for people to stop crying "they should or they have a responsibility or I'll sue" to "I will become responsible for myself or I'll read the entire contract.":rolleyes:

Amen!

thewave.gif.b052f383c09ee6599ab1f1d06d7c3832.gif

Sorry I don't buy this argument at all. A cruise line has no more power over a mechanical problem than they do the weather. Regular maintainance is constantly being done but it does not guarantee that a failure of some sort might not occur.

Also there is absolutely no comparision between an airline and a cruiseline. When a plane breaks down no one moves creating major problems for all involved. When a cruise line has a problem(especially like this case where the only true "inconvenience" might be missing a port) no one is forced to push the limits.

Whenever you buy anything: a car, a microwave, a stove, etc you expect it to give you years of problem free service. However that is rarely the case and when it does breakdown do you get compensated...only if it is still under warranty. Once it is outside the warranty the only compensation you get is the repair bill. In the case of a cruise your warranty is your cruise contact which makes it clear that no compensation is due. Mechanical problems are a way of life and occur at all levels of our society. If a cruiseline elects to compensate the passenger, he/she should feel happy with anything they get because it is more than what they are actually entitled to. When you agree to the cruise contract you agree to everything included in it. You don't get to pick and choose. If there is a part you don't like than you should decline and find a different vacation.

Zacc, you are correct in that there are things that are just out of the control of the cruise line but the point one must remember that the cruise industry counts on and really depends on "repeat" cruisers; now how many repeat cruisers do you think there would be if everything something like this happened the cruise line threw their hands in the air and said, "oh well, that's life"? Look at what Princess did with the now infamous "cruise to nowhere" this past February, refunds, credits toward future cruise, air fares paid, hotel bills paid; though that is an extreme example, that is how you keep your customers happy and coming back.

Regardless of any contract of carriage or feelings of entitlement it comes down to treating the customer right so they will return.

I've missed plenty of ports because of weather and have no problem with that. If I miss a port on the CB next week due to an ongoing mechanical problem I will be pissed. It is Princess's choice on what if any compenation would be provided. It is also my choice whether or not to take my business elsewhere in the future.

Scott

We are currently on the Caribbean princess, at this point we have been told to be on board by 6:00pm for departure at 7. We have been told that they have significant damage to the port side propulsion engine and that they will have a revised itinerary later this afternoon. But we are in port and it is hot and sunny and plan to enjoy the day regardless.

Thanks for the updates. Looks like the CB is having some ongoing issues with propulsion engines? You guys have the right attitude, just enjoy your vacation and adjust accordingly. Personally, my husband would be thrilled to have some extra time at Orient Beach. :rolleyes: Safe journeys and please keep us posted.

Regardless of any contract of carriage or feelings of entitlement it comes down to treating the customer right so they will return.

I've missed plenty of ports because of weather and have no problem with that. If I miss a port on the CB next week due to an ongoing mechanical problem I will be pissed. It is Princess's choice on what if any compenation would be provided. It is also my choice whether or not to take my business elsewhere in the future.

Scott

Great post. I will be on the CB in a month, and if the same problem comes up I will also be pissed. If they are sending a ship out with less than 100% confidence that a problem is fixed they should be giving out compensation if people are missing ports. Just because a company does not have to give compensation does not mean they shouldn't. We do things that we don't have to for our customers quite often, because we think it's the right thing to do.

we are boarding this coming Sunday

does that mean our cruise could be cancelled?

we are flying out from Montreal and did our own air ntransportation

would Princess re emburse our flight?

I don't think I'd worry about your cruise being cancelled.

Archived