What does the cruise director do?

oceanbound22

NOT MUCH considering the Shadow cruise Fremantle to Singapore!!

The best, have in our opinion, over the last 10 years, have been Colin Brown and Judy Abbot. Wonderful people with the correct observations of what a Silversea cruise needs. Think these 2 will retire very soon, if they haven't already. Must be difficult to find replacements to fill passengers " wanting" the same Silversea experience so guess they will keep trying but this last cruise wasn't up to expectations.

NOT MUCH considering the Shadow cruise Fremantle to Singapore!! The best, have in our opinion, over the last 10 years, have been Colin Brown and Judy Abbot. Wonderful people with the correct observations of what a Silversea cruise needs. Think these 2 will retire very soon, if they haven't already. Must be difficult to find replacements to fill passengers " wanting" the same Silversea experience so guess they will keep trying but this last cruise wasn't up to expectations.

I haven't met Colin Brown but Judy Abbott is amazing. She is so warm and friendly and makes such an effort to speak to every guest and make them feel special.

To me, she is the epitome of what a Cruise Director should be.

Hands down, the best I've ever cruised with.

Cheers

Jennifer

The good news is...Judie has a new contract and Colin isn't going anywhere!

That is good news...when we were on the Whisper last month the CD there said that Judie is looking to retire in the near term. She's my fave.

I just came off the Wind after having Colin for the first time. He is amazing and I'll miss his morning announcement telling me what each day offers!

In the case of Colin, he stands at the gangway greeting each passenger as they head off on tour. The reason? If someone has a gripe, they are likely to mention it to him and more often than not, the problem can be fixed before the passenger returns from tour. That he even thinks this way is an example of what makes him such a great cruise director.

All the cruise directors we've experienced on Silversea did make a point of talking with the passengers, but there's something about Colin that makes those interactions feel like a genuine interest and not an item on their 'to-do' list.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from Barcelona to Istanbul (#2207) with Colin as the CD. Wow! In all of our cruises on other lines we couldn't name the CD even if offered a free Penthouse cruise. Our definition of a good CD was one who stayed off the PA system. So here's Colin on the Wind and now we know what a really good CD is and does. He was fantastic from day one to the very last minute on the ship. Bravo indeed. By the way.....we've seen the light and think we've found a new cruise home on Silversea. We have a fantastic time. :)

By the way.....we've seen the light and think we've found a new cruise home on Silversea. We have a fantastic time. :)

That happened to us as well after our first SS cruise. Now we have 4 ( !!!!) cruises booked by my husband who thought he wouldnt like cruising - that was before SS. He is hooked. :D

Ann

Haven't found it yet but I'm already looking at itineraries for next year. :) Probably something a little less intense than 10 ports in 14 days and hopefully no marathon flights. What do you all think about Caribbean or South America itineraries on Silversea? The Silversea rep we met last year said we really needed to do an Asian or European itinerary to fully appreciate Silversea which we did but right now the Spirit's itineraries closer to home look attractive.

Haven't found it yet but I'm already looking at itineraries for next year. :) Probably something a little less intense than 10 ports in 14 days and hopefully no marathon flights. What do you all think about Caribbean or South America itineraries on Silversea? The Silversea rep we met last year said we really needed to do an Asian or European itinerary to fully appreciate Silversea which we did but right now the Spirit's itineraries closer to home look attractive.

Have you sailed on Spirit? IMO a different experience than other SS ships, and most Caribbean itineraries are also port intensive. Lots of things to consider in choosing the right voyage.

Have you sailed on Spirit? IMO a different experience than other SS ships, and most Caribbean itineraries are also port intensive. Lots of things to consider in choosing the right voyage.

Hmmm....good point and seems to match with the rep saying the Caribbean cruises were not typical. With only two sea days out of 14 days I can't imagine something much more intensive but we don't do anything less than a 10-day cruise so that eliminates a lot of the Caribbean cruises. Thanks for the pointer though....something to consider.

Randy, we are doing a 7 day back 2 back on the Spirit beginning 3/20/13 and disembarking on 4/3/13. Cruises 5306/5307. The 1st segment has 2 sea days. Can't remember 2nd segment. We have been to several of the islands and probably won't leave the ship. Both of us have been all around the islands before we met and married and then traveled together. We have never been on the Spirit and wanted to give it a try. The bonus is on a B2B is that you get a 5% discount. Plus, I have never been to Dominica or St. Maarten. We are warm weather/sun/surf people. Take a look at that itinerary. Seems interesting. Another bonus, is that you have a new group of people on segment 2. Who knows? Maybe we will meet. Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be wonderful. Enjoy!:)

Randy, we are doing a 7 day back 2 back on the Spirit beginning 3/20/13 and disembarking on 4/3/13. Cruises 5306/5307. The 1st segment has 2 sea days. Can't remember 2nd segment. We have been to several of the islands and probably won't leave the ship. Both of us have been all around the islands before we met and married and then traveled together. We have never been on the Spirit and wanted to give it a try. The bonus is on a B2B is that you get a 5% discount. Plus, I have never been to Dominica or St. Maarten. We are warm weather/sun/surf people. Take a look at that itinerary. Seems interesting. Another bonus, is that you have a new group of people on segment 2. Who knows? Maybe we will meet. Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be wonderful. Enjoy!:)

Thanks for the tip. We've really never considered a B2B but because you mentioned it we just happened to trip across a very good B2B on the Cloud. Goes to some of the small Caribbean islands we've not been to and a few we have but still would be a great cruise. We'll look at the Spirit B2B you mentioned. Could be we'll joining you. :) If we could just get Colin as CD!

Talked to our cruising friends last night and collectively picked our next cruise...at least the next cruise with them. They're embarking on a substantial remodel of their home so their plans are pretty much on hold for the next several months so we picked and booked a Panama Canal cruise late next year on the Whisper. Mrs. K and I may do another cruise between now and then but now we have at least a target. No telling who will be the staff and maybe can even hope for some from the Wind but I'm sure they'll be great. :)

Archived