Upsell fairy? Not quite....

Tedro1

Carnival called. My first thought? Upsell from balcony to suite! Wrong. Long pitch about vacation protection coverage. Just making sure I understood the risks, blah, blah.

I understand the risks of not purchasing, but the rep made it sound like its crazy to sail without it. Makes me wonder why CCL doesn't include it in the price, since its borderline mandatory.

Obviously I'm not risk averse, but I understand people that are. I had a hard time convincing the rep which category I was in.

Any chance the Steakhouse Fairy will call next?:)

Just make sure YOUR cell # is the one on your profile/contact info at CCL.

Not possible as I don't have a cell phone. Personally do not use phones. Have a landline and DW has a cell. If we get a call, I'll just have to BS my way past it explaining they were trying to get me to book a cruise.

Not possible as I don't have a cell phone. Personally do not use phones. Have a landline and DW has a cell. If we get a call, I'll just have to BS my way past it explaining they were trying to get me to book a cruise.

Get a Google voice number and change to that. Don't worry, its not a real phone. ;)

That will send them to voicemail, which you can access at will or just read a transcript in email. I think you'd want to change it back (or to DW's cell) just before the cruise though, in case they need to call for a real issue.

Get a Google voice number and change to that. Don't worry, its not a real phone. ;)

That will send them to voicemail, which you can access at will or just read a transcript in email. I think you'd want to change it back (or to DW's cell) just before the cruise though, in case they need to call for a real issue.

Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't even worried about it but there has been several threads lately about CCL calling and pitching the insurance.

I got the same call from Carnival about a week ago, and, you're right--they make it sound like you'd be crazy to travel without it. They even said that 90% of their cruisers take the insurance. Somehow I doubt that, considering how many people on this forum buy their own insurance from independent companies.

After the Carnival call I reconsidered insurance and ended up buying a policy with better coverage for 1/3 of the cost of Carnival's! :)

Carnival called. My first thought? Upsell from balcony to suite! Wrong. Long pitch about vacation protection coverage. Just making sure I understood the risks, blah, blah.

I understand the risks of not purchasing, but the rep made it sound like its crazy to sail without it. Makes me wonder why CCL doesn't include it in the price, since its borderline mandatory.

Obviously I'm not risk averse, but I understand people that are. I had a hard time convincing the rep which category I was in.

I am cracking up here.. I bought my travel insurance from AAA for 1/3 of the Carnival rate. if the steakhouse fairy calls... give her my number !

They call because they make some profit selling you insurance.
I read somewhere just recently that insurance bought from Carnival is waaay more expensive than Insurance bought privately.

So it's not surprising you got a pushy call to Buy Carnival Insurance

becoz they probably make 200% profit on any deal you sign up for.

I got the same call from Carnival about a week ago, and, you're right-

-they make it sound like you'd be crazy to travel without it. ===> Ah yes, but we do so love the Fear!

ALL Insurance is a gamble.

The Insurance Co. is gambling you won't ever need their payout (after YOU pay the bills initially!)

and they pocket your premium :D Easy money!

I gamble I won't need their payout six months after I've declared Bankruptcy,

so I don't buy into the gamble -and spend my money elsewhere on tangible goods and services.

In nine cruises, I only ever bought travel Insurance twice, and only because those two cruises

were on a UK cruise line that required it as mandatory.

It was money down the drain....but you knew that already.

I didnt get a call. However, when I booked the cruise last week the lady automatically added it. She never said it was in there. Luckily I always search for the rate on a third party site, so I was able to compare it. I told her that I had a lower rate somewhere else. She then said it included the insurance, which I asked to remove. She then proceeded to say do you know what is covers, and blahblah.

One time I reserched the rate, and called Carnival. Carnival's price was actually higher when I called. "I think" she said that TA's cant offer lower rates or something like that, but if I can get it, it sounds like a great deal. I called the guy back and got the deal. He even got me VIP check in somehow.

the chair hog fairy :)

Archived