Cartagena questions! Please help before a book at tour!

jmwg49

Is the "walled city' the same city that is talked about in most of the private tours? I have been reading all of the reviews for Claudia and Dora...and the reviews talk about walking around some quaint, and pretty areas within the 'old city'....I want to be sure that in chosing a tour, we get to do this!!! Also, the 'fort' that is at the top of a hill with long climb...which fort is this? It seems some tour operators just SHOW you this, and you are not taken inside!!! Please clarify for me! I'm getting frustrated! Thanks in advance!

Yes, the "walled city" and the "old city" are the same thing. This is the colonial part of Cartegena.

The fort is Forteza de San Felipe (or San Felipe Fort). I imagine some tours just drive by the fort because their clients couldn't make the walk up the incline to the top. We went with a private tour guide, J.J. Taborda, and he included a guided tour of the fort, including the underground tunnels there. Also, the views of Cartegena from the top of the fort are excellent.

I would choose a tour that actually stops at Forteza de San Felipe.

If you can handle the ramp too the port, get a tour that includes it. We had to make a call when planning and I chose a photo stop there with a stop at the Palace de Inquisition, I regret that decision now.

Are you saying that you would have included the San Felipe Fort. What is your opinion on visiting the Palace de Inquisistion?

Are you saying that you would have included the San Felipe Fort. What is your opinion on visiting the Palace de Inquisistion?

I cannot make a personal comment on the Palace de Inquisition, but when I asked about it with the tour guide I am looking at, she said it was just replicas and not worth the time. I guess more to see elsewhere! We have decided to make the effort and go up to the fort! Better safe than sorry! I want no regrets on our visit in Cartagena!

My husband loves forts and so when choosing a tour I made sure to choose one that specifically said it "toured" the fort, not just included a photo op of it. We had a lengthy tour of the fort and it was very enjoyable, although, as others have said, it does include a lot of walking, including a steep ramp to the top. Also, the Palace of Inquisition was very interesting, if horrific (even if the items were reproductions).

How much time do you have in Cartagena? We were there a week ago today. After taking Dora's tour, we had enough time to take a taxi back into the old city and do some more on our own. The La Popa monastery isn't inside the old city, but is worth the visit.

Yes, I would have included the fort over the Palace. The Palace was interesting, but was mostly replicas as noted. I think the fort would have been more interesting.

I have been reading all of the reviews for Claudia and Dora...and the reviews talk about walking around some quaint, and pretty areas within the 'old city'....I want to be sure that in chosing a tour, we get to do this!!! Also, the 'fort' that is at the top of a hill with long climb...which fort is this? It seems some tour operators just SHOW you this, and you are not taken inside!!!

We took Dora's tour on March 12th, although our guide was named Mercedes. It was a great tour. :) She gave us options as to what we wanted to do. There were 9 of us, and the other people in the group didn't want to go up to the top of the fortress. I jumped out and took some photos, but that was it. Also, none of us wanted to go into the Palace of the Inquisition. Mostly, we concentrated on La Popa monastery (great views from there!) and San Pedro Claver Church.

We also walked around the old city, looking at the architecture. There were several street vendors who approached us, so be aware of that. Some locals offered to pose for photos with you for $1. There was a lady in a dress with a fruit basket on her head- I snapped a photo of my wife with her. Then there were 3 guys painted black, posing as living statues. You could take a photo of them and drop $1 in their basket.

Dora's tour did take us to 2 shopping areas: 1 near the main square, where there were lots of emerald stores; and 1 near the wall. The 2nd one was a whole row of shops that catered to tourists. There were some aggressive vendors outside, but it was more relaxed in the shops. My wife bought some hats, dresses, jewelry and t-shirts from that row. I think there are about 15 shops, but we only had time to go into 4 of them.

One note about the street vendors: if you do want to buy something they are selling, haggle! At La Popa, I wanted a hat to keep the sun off my face. Vendors with hats approached both me and my wife. After starting off at $20, he offered me $15, then $13, then $10. I got it for $10, while my wife got the exact same hat for $15! :eek: Don't be afraid to say no, or walk away, even 3 times. They may even chase you offering a lower figure! :rolleyes:

So my advice is this: if you take Dora's tour, just tell your guide that you want to go inside the fort. I am sure they will make time for you to do so, though you may need to skip the palace or somewhere else.

The weather was hot, but not excessively so. It was also very humid. Climbing to the top of the fort would be like climbing the stairs on all the decks of your cruise ship- just with the added heat and humidity. :cool:

We took a private tour on when we got to Cartagena. My mother uses a walker so it was nice to go at our own pace. While she could not do the Fortress, she was able to do the walking tour of the city. We had a nice, english speaking, tour guide who was very paitent with the slow pace. I would advise anyone going on a walking tour to bring water to keep yourself refreshed. There are plenty of street vendors that sell water and local beer so you can save on ship cost of H2O. Our tour guide told us to bargain for everthing on the street and you can haggle in the shops too. If you have spirit you can go on your own, but ships time in port is limited and tour operators know where to go and have the Readers Digest version of the History. Our guide can speak French and Italian too. If you like the easy going of just one booking through your ship that is fine, but if you want to see the same things at a better price and more private take a private tour. You can reach the person we used waltergarciag@hotmail.com Can you guess his name is Walter?

Archived