TSA Lock

SugarPlum

It is totally worth getting the locks. I have traveled extensively with these locks and have never had them cut off. I bought mine at Brookstone and those come with a guarantee that if they do get cut off they will replace them at no charge.

I'm thinking about buying the new TSA Approved Lock. But I would like to know if any one experience their lock being cut off by the airlines and is it worth getting the lock?

Thanks in advance.:)

I'll be getting the new TSA locks. We have the old ones and had 2 out of 5 cut off on our last trip. Never understood why they didn't cut off all 5. I like having locks on my luggage. Never had anything taken but better safe than sorry.:)

I'll be getting the new TSA locks. We have the old ones and had 2 out of 5 cut off on our last trip. Never understood why they didn't cut off all 5. I like having locks on my luggage. Never had anything taken but better safe than sorry.:)

I agree with you' date=' better safe than sorry. But if TSA is going to cut the locks, it's not worth buying the new TSA locks. I think I'm going to try the cable ties. But I will still carry my combination locks that came with my samsonite luggages.[/size']

I bought my TSA approved lock at the Samsonite store, it has an indicator on it that is green, it changes to red if the luggage has been opened.

Sugarplum: It is worth buying the TSA locks, they have a key that they use to open them so they aren't going to cut them.

• 3 weeks later...

Get the new locks, TSA does not replace locks with their own Zip ties, I just called Mike, heads training for TSA here in San Diego he said no, they do leave you a nice note inside stating why the locks were cut. So far no TSA locks have been cut, but thats here in San Diego. oh he also mentioned that if TSA person replaced a cut lock with a zip tie and it comes loose or breaks it will cause law suits against the TSA if the bags were broken into later. And you know we got those lawSuit happy people out there. (if this would of been replaced with a real lock this wouldnt of happen WAAAAA:p ) sue me!

Wondering what you will use to cut open the Cable tie? cant carry a pair of Dikes onboard nor a knife or sissors?

All bags have zippered pockets. Place a nail clipper in one of those pockets that you have not closed with ties. Some types of nail clippers can also be carried in your carry-on. /Sultan

Partial Quote

Wondering what you will use to cut open the Cable tie? cant carry a pair of Dikes onboard nor a knife or sissors?

If TSA is going to open or remove locks, what's the point of even locking your bag to begin with? If you think it's to prevent dishonest baggage handlers from opening your bag, what's to prevent them from cutting off your lock or maybe even getting a copy of universal TSA key (can't be that hard)? Blame can be

pointed toward dishonest TSA screeners, if items are missing.

If lock is to secure bag from latches accidentally opening, a good luggage strap

or tie wrap is probably a better choice.

They are using what are also called cable locks, thin strips of plastic that once tightened cannot be loosed without being cut. They aren't wrapped around the entire bag, just inserted where you would normally put a lock on the zipper pulls. If you are using hard sided luggage with built-in locks there is not much you can do short of using a luggage strap. I don't know if there is any kind that have locks.

There are definitely luggage straps with locks (I have one), but you really can't use the lock unless you're willing to take the risk of having the lock broken if TSA decides to search your bag. I still haven't heard of a good solution for hardsided luggage. You're pretty much forced to leave the bags unlocked.

Bob Brown Im originally from Ft. Greene, close to your part of town, I know people that have worked out of JFK, some bag handlers that are now TSA workers, they have told me, The crooks will go into a bag thats not locked, if it has a lock they move it with the rest of them, I brought this question up at work here, we have 4600 inmates, and theyre not in here for lite offensives, they too told me the same, the Bags that are not locked are fast money.

There are now luggage straps with built in TSA approved locks for the hard sided luggage.:D I saw them after following the link from the TSA web site. There is nothing out there that will stop a determined crook from breaking into your luggage.:rolleyes: But if you make it inconvienient for them they will go on to an unlocked bag. They are crooks for a reason. They are looking for a score without having to work for it. So they will just go after the unlocked bags. Someone mentioned that the TSA keys will be copied of duplicated. So are Samsonite keys.:p But if you have the approved TSA lock and something is stolen then it becomes easier to point a finger towards TSA.;)

I was just reading the link on the other board that Wennfred posted and it raised an interesting question:rolleyes: that hopefully someone can answer. What happens to the TSA locks in Europe?:confused: Do they have keys?:confused:

Archived