Sea Sickness?

andyandsue

We are going to Bermuda again, trying to decide between NCL and HAL.

Just curious what everyone thinks here. I am prone to sea sickness (ugh!) and I'm curious if anyone thinks a smaller ship like the Veendam will mean we will feel the rocking more?

Our first cruise was a smaller ship but we were in hurricane affected waters so it was absolutely awful (even the crew was sick and talking about it, water pouring out of the pool, etc). Our second cruise was on NCL on a mega ship and I did not feel great, but a little marezine and I was fine.

I know about the patch behind the ear, and all sorts of sea sickness meds/remedies. I'm just curious if the smaller ships feel the motion of the ocean more.

Thanks!

Generally the larger the ship, the less motion you will feel. This is not always true, as the draft of the ship and the 'air draft' above, as well as the hull design can all make a difference, depending on the wave action and the winds. Older 'ocean liners' were designed to cut through bad weather on transocean liner voyages. Newer cruise ships are designed primarily for fair seas cruising, although they do have stabilizers to help compensate.

If you are concerned about the ride, always book a midship and down low cabin to minimize the rolling and pitching motion. And if you need medicine, I have heard start taking such as meclizine a day or two prior to sailing for best effect.

Generally the larger the ship, the less motion you will feel. This is not always true, as the draft of the ship and the 'air draft' above, as well as the hull design can all make a difference, depending on the wave action and the winds. Older 'ocean liners' were designed to cut through bad weather on transocean liner voyages. Newer cruise ships are designed primarily for fair seas cruising, although they do have stabilizers to help compensate.

If you are concerned about the ride, always book a midship and down low cabin to minimize the rolling and pitching motion. And if you need medicine, I have heard start taking such as meclizine a day or two prior to sailing for best effect.

Very true - some of the smaller ships were built to 'travel' the seas. The elegant explorer is a prime example. The P'dam cuts through the waves.

I haven't found sailing rougher on Hal's smaller ships but JMO:)

I have been on 4 cruises, 3 on very large ships and my last on the NA. I have to say, although I loved the cruise, I don't know how much we will cruise again. Both DH and I got sick toward the end of our cruise, and while on land for 3 days afterward. I don't know if it was the size of the ship, our cabin location (we were the first cabin in the bow on level 10), or the patch we used.

I have friends who were on the Veendam last August and they said they experienced rough seas on the return trip to NY, and a lot of people were very sick. I'm not trying to dissuade you from this cruise, I think it's such a wonderful itinerary, and wanted to do this cruise myself. Just wanted to share the info I had.

I think it depends more on the weather. I've rocked and rolled on huge ships too. Take meclizine (Bonine). The patch is bad mojo.

My wife starts meclizine the day prior to the cruise and continues until the last night on board. She always takes her dose at night to lessen the drowsiness during the days. She has tried the patch, but experienced dizziness and other bad side effects for days after the cruise.

Went on the Maasdam this past January and was sick at beginning of cruise for a day and half. DH finally went for medical help. I was fine after shot by nurse. Was taking all kinds of meds and nothing was working. Insurance paid for nurse and shot. The first evening I was sick there were sick sacks by the elevator and also it was so rough we missed Half Moon Cay so didn't miss any activity as we were on board for two days in a row.

Cate M.

After 16 cruises, some of them on higher decks, we now only book cabins amidships (not far forward, not far aft) and not above Deck 5. The "patch" seems to have awful side effects. One of our friends (they were on a recent 30-day South Pacific cruise on HAL) always wears the patch. He still was miserable the whole time and had "sea legs" for a full week after returning home. He will not take any more cruises.

I am the QUEEN of motion sickness...I get sick sitting on the rocker on my front porch.

I use Motioneaze...google it and you'll learn all about it.

It's topical, all natural and has no side effects. It's the ONLY thing that has ever helped me.

I've tried every pill, patch and wrist band known and I still have gotten sick.

I learned about it from a fellow passenger on a cruise about 6 or 7 years ago.

I've sailed to Bermuda 2 times before and both times on smaller ships than the Veendam and yes the seas are definitely more active than when sailing in the Caribbean. Both of my sails were in May.

I'm going on the Veendam this coming May but I know I'll be fine as long as I use my Motioneaze.

Amazon sells it and also some marina stores.

Really, try it.

I can't speak to the patch--I have never gotten seasick. My OH has. The pills that are dispensed at the desk or outside the medical place usually do the trick. One before dinner and all is well. In fact, we are one of the few couples who do not need a view of the water in the dining room, as that makes it worse. We take the view of the dining room. we have never bought meds before we arrived.

All ships are subject to motion. Size is irrelevant. We spoke with a Captain several years ago. He explained it this way. Take a look at a globe. There is a large amount of water on the earth. Take any ship, put it on the amount of water. The water will win the battle.

I think it depends more on the weather. I've rocked and rolled on huge ships too.

We felt more motion on Allure of the Seas than we felt on any Holland America ship except the Eurodam. Allure was in force 4 winds in the Bahamas and unable to dock. Eurodam was in the Baltic in high wind and had to cancel the show for the safety of the performers. Never had a motion problem on any other ship, did not even feel the Tsunami last March.

Seems like size does not matter nearly as much as the weather..

I don't know about this size thing. All I can tell you is I watched one of those small Seabourn ships (450 passengers) going thru very rough seas and we were on the Maasdam (1200 passengers) passing them. They were being denudated with water crashing over there bow right over the top of their ship. I almost got sea sick just watching them. We were hardly moving, so I think size does matter and also cabin placement. If you are prone to sea sickness try to get a cabin midship.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Marezine whenever I felt a little woozy on our last cruise. I did have vertigo for a good week afterwards and continued to take marezine.

That is an interesting thought that the smaller, older ships were built for cutting though the bigger seas.

I guess it was just a coincidence of the weather with our first cruise on the smaller ship vs the second trip on the large one.

HAL only has was are considered aft cabins available, but on I can go to the lowest deck. Has anyone ever had good luck getting a different stateroom by calling rather than reserving on line?

I am the QUEEN of motion sickness...I get sick sitting on the rocker on my front porch.

It's topical, all natural and has no side effects. It's the ONLY thing that has ever helped me.

I've sailed to Bermuda 2 times before and both times on smaller ships than the Veendam and yes the seas are definitely more active than when sailing in the Caribbean. Both of my sails were in May.

I'm going on the Veendam this coming May but I know I'll be fine as long as I use my Motioneaze.

Really, try it.

Great Recommendation, I found it on Amazon, 9 reviews 5 out of 5 stars, looks great, this should be good take "just in case" for the kids.

Really, try it.

Thanks, I will take this for my kids who are motion sick on occasion. What are other good OTC things to have on hand? Or am I understanding there's some stuff available for free on board?

Thanks, I will take this for my kids who are motion sick on occasion. What are other good OTC things to have on hand? Or am I understanding there's some stuff available for free on board?
Yes. Ask for meclizine (generic bonine) at the front desk.

Some of the common, traditional non-medicinal remedies are green apples, soda crackers, ginger candies or capsules (or ginger ale) and wearing sea bands.

To the OP (Andy and Sue) - take HAL to Bermuda!!!

We did it last August (DROVE to NYC through Irene), but the cruise was smooth as silk! You will REALLY enjoy being docked in Hamilton!! It was a great cruise and we really enjoyed ourselves!!

Bermuda has a great bus system....will take you anywhere you want to go. The busses are pretty and clean and we never felt unsafe.

On the sea sickness front, I am with Syles on that one - I get seasick watching water come from the tap! I use meclizine with no ill effects, and usually carry candied giner just in case. Some swear by the patch, some wristbands....find what works for you and stick with it.

We were in Bermuda the week before you on the Gem, CaroleSS. Love Bermuda and really can't wait to go back. It's almost magical, I have no other way to explain it-and I've been to other islands before.

Being a city person myself and already experiencing the Dockyard, I would love to be in Hamilton and for 4 days, not 3.

Archived