Major Marine Blackstone Glacier Cruise

ihopfar

For anyone who has taken the Major Marine PWS Blackstone Galcier Cruise -- their website says "up to 40 minutes" at the Glaciers. I assumed this meant total time at the 3 Glaciers. However the person I spoke to at Major Marine said it is up to 40 minutes at EACH Glacier.

So, was she right, 40 minutes at each or is it 40 minutes total?

Thank you,

Brad

A Major Marine employee told you 40 min at each glacier. What's the problem? You made an assumption, and the employee gave you the facts.

The "problem" is I have no idea if the people Major Marine (or any company) have actually been on their tours and it has been my experience that call center people are often reading from a script they do not understand.

Bottom line, these boards are great for people who have first hand knowledge and so I thought I would double check since that sounded like a lot of time -- which, of course, is a good thing. :)

Thanks,

Brad

Most of this tour is glacier viewing. It's 4 hours, and having taken it several times, the transit is probably only an hour++ round trip. So, absolutely, the information is accurate. This is an EXCELLENT tour, especially with a coupon, which, I'm again using in August.

IF you are contacting them direct, and not using any booking agents, then you are taking to people in Alaska, who do know what they are talking about.

The "problem" is I have no idea if the people Major Marine (or any company) have actually been on their tours and it has been my experience that call center people are often reading from a script they do not understand.

Bottom line, these boards are great for people who have first hand knowledge and so I thought I would double check since that sounded like a lot of time -- which, of course, is a good thing. :)

Thanks,

Brad

My wife has worked for a competing company on this Blackstone trip and, yes, it is about 40 minutes at Beloit Glacier as well as 40 minutes at Blackstone along with the hanging Northland Glacier above you. Of course, the forty minutes is also dependent on ice and weather conditions; I was once on a trip that spent less than ten minutes since it was raining and blowing so hard that we couldn't see anything. You just take your chances.

These companies are all locally run and have no outside firm taking reservations and answering questions. Offices are in Anchorage and/or Seward depending on the company and their staff are highly qualified.

Thanks BQ and Chenga for your first hand knowledge. That really helps.

Interestingly, when the person from Major Marine said 3 glaciers and 40 minutes each, I did not realize that Blackstone and Northland are at the same place. That is good additonal information. :)

I am definately leaning towards this trip over the competion, which in 2012 is a new cruise offered by Phillips. Their trip, which is shorter (although looks like it might be on a faster boat) is only planning on spending 15-20 minutes at each glacier, according to their reservation agents.

Thanks again,

Brad

Major also takes the time in Blackstone Bay to slow down for meal service; they do an optional buffet of prime rib and salmon. Phillips seems to like to speed things up with their catamarans and have the reputation of going quickly vs. lingering.

Archived