FOS question

We sailed on the FOS this past September. Our cabin was a balcony on deck 7, midship.. Our daughter was across the hall in a cabin overlooking the promenade. Our son was in the room with us.

We will be sailing on the FOS again next summer, and I will book directly with RCCL. I called just this week and was told I could not book until mid-April.

Here is my questions: We liked deck 7. Is there any reason to be on a different deck? Motion did not seem to bother us.

Anyone ever stay in a family room, that sleeps 4 or 5? I was looking at this option. I know those rooms are not on the website and I would have to call RCCL for that price.

I want a balcony. Loved having it last time. Are all balcony rooms the same?

What is so special about AFT rooms?

As you can see, I am still a newbie with lots of questions. Thanks in advance!

I'll only tackle one:

AFT cabins tend to have very large (long) balconies . . . 2 to 3 times larger than standard ones for the same class cabin . . . large enough for a table and chairs - full sized - or in our deck 10 aft experience, two loungers and two sitting chairs with plenty of room to spare.

An AFT corner on a FREEDOM class can be a real score! But any aft on F has a much larger balc' than the same class on the side

While the aft cabins do have deeper balconies, if you go back and forth to the cabin alot during the day, it becomes a huge pain....those hallways are mighty long!

All D catagory cabins are the same size. All E's are the same size....etc...

I prefer a midship deck 10 balcony....so convenient! I'd stick with the 2 cabin option...gives the kids a place for their messes and the adults a bit of privacy. Depending on the ship, there are even a few balconies that connect to an inside cabin! Personally, I'd put both son and daughter in the same cabin....

On Freedom class ships (FOS, Indy, and Liberty) cabins 9696/9701 and 9396/9401 are the balcony/interior connecting staterooms, sleeping a total of 4 people between the two cabins. These cabins are in the Aft area of the ship, so there is the long walk, but they are not the specified Aft balconies that so many people rave about. The balcony will be standard size on the side of the ship rather than facing the back. It is a great way to get a balcony and also have the cheaper option of the inside room for the kids if you don't mind the long walk to the cabin. However, I have a feeling these rooms book quickly!

Anyone ever stay in a family room, that sleeps 4 or 5? I was looking at this option. I know those rooms are not on the website and I would have to call RCCL for that price.

When we were on the Freedom we stayed in the Family Oceanview Stateroom 8200 which is one of the larger ones. We loved having the extra room and it was quite a bit larger than the normal Family Oceanview Staterooms.

We just got off FOS, had cabin 7710, this is an aft cabin, great view side to side and rear although the structure is there. More vibration and the motion was jerker than midship. Next cruise on Freedom I will be near the stairs on deck 8, three floors up to the pool, three floors down to promenade. No need for elevators.

I am not a huge fan of aft cabins on this class of ship because of all the structure. For us, it was an obstructed view, like overlooking a construction site. We didn't think the larger balcony is worth is - we don't have parties on our balcony, so the side view ones with a clearer view are large enough for us.

We like being on deck 6 midship because it's a short hop down to the Promenade and other entertainment venues.

On Freedom class ships (FOS, Indy, and Liberty) cabins 9696/9701 and 9396/9401 are the balcony/interior connecting staterooms, sleeping a total of 4 people between the two cabins. These cabins are in the Aft area of the ship, so there is the long walk, but they are not the specified Aft balconies that so many people rave about. The balcony will be standard size on the side of the ship rather than facing the back. It is a great way to get a balcony and also have the cheaper option of the inside room for the kids if you don't mind the long walk to the cabin. However, I have a feeling these rooms book quickly!

We had the balcony room of this connecting situation. I think you would love this, the balcony actually has a little extended spot that theoretically you could sit another person on a chair there. I have pictures if I can figure out how to put them on here if you want to see what I'm talking about. We actually had our cabin steward bring us two loungers that fit and we put the chairs over in the extra space, it was nice. We just got used to the walk.

We were on the 10th floor in front (can't remember the correct term for it). Right off the elevators in an interior room. Loved being there! Close to the pool and buffet! Felt a little movement, but no more than when we were down on the promenade. They told us the seas were a bit rough with 10-12ft swells. Would stay on that floor again.

• 2 weeks later...
We had the balcony room of this connecting situation. I think you would love this, the balcony actually has a little extended spot that theoretically you could sit another person on a chair there. I have pictures if I can figure out how to put them on here if you want to see what I'm talking about. We actually had our cabin steward bring us two loungers that fit and we put the chairs over in the extra space, it was nice. We just got used to the walk.

I would love to see some pictures of the balcony mothwoman. I was a little concerned that the view might be obstructed somewhat? We have this balcony/inside combination booked for next year to allow some extra space for the kids. Any photos of the balcony (9396 or 9696) would be great!!:)

When we were on the Freedom we stayed in the Family Oceanview Stateroom 8200 which is one of the larger ones. We loved having the extra room and it was quite a bit larger than the normal Family Oceanview Staterooms.

Does anyone know the approx. price difference between the Family Oceanvew Stateroom and a connecting balconey/interior stateroom? I assume it is mor expensive to get 2 rooms rather than 1.

Does anyone know the approx. price difference between the Family Oceanvew Stateroom and a connecting balconey/interior stateroom? I assume it is mor expensive to get 2 rooms rather than 1.

You may be surprised about the price for the 2 connecting cabins. I just booked 5 nights for my family of 5 in the forward cabins (balcony/OV combo) on liberty of the seas for next spring break. It was a total of $4442 and the family OV was 4042.40. I paid $400 more for 2 bathrooms and 374 SQ ft of living space PLUS a balcony as opposed to 338 for the family OV. Check prices of the balcony and OV cabin before calling and see which is the cheapest for your 3rd person and put your 5th person in that cabin :D. You can do a dummy booking by putting in 3 and 3 in each cabin just to see if it is available but you will have to call RCCL to actually book it if you only have 2 people in one of the cabins. If you only have a total of 4 people check aft and there are balcony/inside combos also that sleep 2 in each cabin (I assume you have at least 5 since you are looking into family cabins so the aft balcony/inside won't work but the forward balcony/ov would work for you).

I would love to see some pictures of the balcony mothwoman. I was a little concerned that the view might be obstructed somewhat? We have this balcony/inside combination booked for next year to allow some extra space for the kids. Any photos of the balcony (9396 or 9696) would be great!!:)

Okay, lets see if this works, I have never put a picture on here before. Sorry to me a bit to figure out how to do it. This is 9396, I believe. Go to DSCN6826 if you click through the pictures you can see the cabin.

We booked an aft room on FOS for next March. We will be in 1404. I have heard all the rants and raves and wanted to check it out for myself! We will be bringing our 2 girls (4 and 8) and if one should happen to need a break, I will have that nice big balcony to enjoy and hang out on. We had a cabin all the way forward on the Disney Dream last year and you just get used to the walk! To be honest, the kids LOVED having that loooooong hallway to just run(when appropriate!) all the way to the room! Plus, after all that food, who couldn't use a little exercise??? haha

Okay, lets see if this works, I have never put a picture on here before. Sorry to me a bit to figure out how to do it. This is 9396, I believe. Go to DSCN6826 if you click through the pictures you can see the cabin.

Thank you so much!! These pics of the balcony were exactly what I was looking for.:)

Archived