BEST place to snorkel

Still working on excursions and have a question for experienced FP/PG cruisers. If you were on a 7 night Tahiti and Society Islands cruise and only did one snorkeling excursion, what would it be and on which island? Thanks!!!

You might want to list the alternatives you have, since the offerings change over time. And if you're considering solely ship's excursions, or private ones.

And also if it's one water excursion, or one snorkeling excursion, since there are some great water excursions that are not primarily snorkeling excursions, like the stingray ballet in Bora Bora (great.)

Generally snorkeling is great in Raiatea, good in Bora Bora and Moorea, although snorkeling everywhere is not as good as it was 10 years ago.

I think my all-time favourite was a boat ride around Raiatea, with snorkeling off a motu on the south end of the island--boat ride wasn't wonderful (kind of long), but snorkeling was wonderful.

I guess I'm trying to narrow down the options. It can be a PG sponsored excursion or private. Doesn't have to be just snorkeling, can be a combination. I'm just not familiar with the snorkeling there at all and wanted to hear where people think is the best place for an amazing experience. Thanks!

Our favorite excursion of our trip that just ended, was the day trip with Patrick. We had 3 great snorkeling stops. The lunch was great and the location pretty spectacular! We sat at a table in the water looking back at the island! It was a great day!!

kristy

Our favorite excursion of our trip that just ended, was the day trip with Patrick. We had 3 great snorkeling stops. The lunch was great and the location pretty spectacular! We sat at a table in the water looking back at the island! It was a great day!!

kristy

Since this person is new to FP, you might want to mention which island you're talking about.

Sorry, I was not thinking clearly last night I guess. The tour with Patrick was on Bora Bora. We did a 4X4 in the morning with his company, then lunch, and then the lagoon tour.

The lagoon portion included 3 snorkeling stops and ukulele accompaniment by Patrick as we were cruising along.

Emdee- I was not able to get Miki's email. I never ran across anyone named that in any of the restaurants. I might be able to get it another way- some friends of ours became friends with the head of F&B. I can email them when they get home and see about forwarding your email to him and then he probably knows how to reach Miki?

kristy

Sorry, I was not thinking clearly last night I guess. The tour with Patrick was on Bora Bora. We did a 4X4 in the morning with his company, then lunch, and then the lagoon tour.

The lagoon portion included 3 snorkeling stops and ukulele accompaniment by Patrick as we were cruising along.

Emdee- I was not able to get Miki's email. I never ran across anyone named that in any of the restaurants. I might be able to get it another way- some friends of ours became friends with the head of F&B. I can email them when they get home and see about forwarding your email to him and then he probably knows how to reach Miki?

kristy

This sounds FABULOUS...gives us a little bit of the island and the water! Please tell me how to book this, who to call, etc. Thanks so much!!!

This is the site for Reef Discovery. I have used them twice and they are great. Patrick's Tour also gets good reviews but I don't have his contact info. With Patrick the price depends upon how many are on the excursion and he leave it up to you to try and find other people to join in. I believe that for 2 people the tour with him is $500 per person but it goes down significantly as you can get more people.

http://www.reefdiscovery.pf/us/index.html

http://www.maohinui.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31

I just enquired there and they sent a price list today; the 1/2 day tours were $500 US for 2 and went up incrementally for each additional person added to the group, but you divide it by the number of folks so the costs drop significantly for 8-12. Full day tours were just over $1000 US for 2. Again, they drop with more people joining the group.

If you contact them on this website, they will send the price list and availability and they were able to tell me if anyone else from my cruise has enquired. With Patricks, I had read that there is a benefit to snorkeling in the AM, (more fish, light is better etc) and that was confirmed by the person who responded to me. Because the full day does the snorkeling in the afternoon, I am more inclined to just book the snorkeling in the AM and do the 4x4 another day. Good luck!

http://www.maohinui.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31

I just enquired there and they sent a price list today; the 1/2 day tours were $500 US for 2 and went up incrementally for each additional person added to the group, but you divide it by the number of folks so the costs drop significantly for 8-12. Full day tours were just over $1000 US for 2. Again, they drop with more people joining the group.

If you contact them on this website, they will send the price list and availability and they were able to tell me if anyone else from my cruise has enquired. With Patricks, I had read that there is a benefit to snorkeling in the AM, (more fish, light is better etc) and that was confirmed by the person who responded to me. Because the full day does the snorkeling in the afternoon, I am more inclined to just book the snorkeling in the AM and do the 4x4 another day. Good luck!

Hmmm, we did the all day island circle wth Patrick. All snorkling was AM which included 3 stops for Coral Gardens, Ray encounter and Shark encounter. :)

Some people like the snorkelling at the BB motu - you do have to go a bit out though and depending on the weather it could be good or not. It shares a motu with the BB pearl.

You could also try the matira beach. I am not a fan of the beach but you will have to check from snorkellers regarding the quality of snorkelling.

I have snorkeled from the Bora motu. You do have to go out further, where there are coral heads in the pass. You have to be comfortable in deep water, and watch the current (the "pass" is between two motus, and if the tide is running fast, you just have to be aware of whether you're drifting.)

Hmmm, we did the all day island circle wth Patrick. All snorkling was AM which included 3 stops for Coral Gardens, Ray encounter and Shark encounter. :)

I just booked the half day Lagoon Tour on BB with Patricks today...we would be happy if others join, but if not, we will do it for 2. We did not select lunch; according to the price list with just 2 people it about doubles the cost of the excursion. I've been a vegetarian about all my adult life, and although I am accepting of the idea of a pig roast as an interesting cultural experience, it is not something I will pay extra to do;)

The folks at Patricks did recommend the morning Lagoon tour for best viewing of the wildlife, which is why I didn't book a whole day and have the snorkel portion be in the afternoon. I'm so excited...coral and sharks and rays ...oh my!:D

Still want to do the 4x4; thinking of doing the PG excursion...two ?s for those in the know:

1- will it likely be available if I wait till we board ( and use OBC) to book?

2- can anyone compare the Particks vs PG 4 x 4 excursions? The PG one I am looking at on BB says Le Truk, there is also the BB Off Road adventure, wondering if these are similar to Patrics 4x4?

I just booked the half day Lagoon Tour on BB with Patricks today...we would be happy if others join, but if not, we will do it for 2. We did not select lunch; according to the price list with just 2 people it about doubles the cost of the excursion. I've been a vegetarian about all my adult life, and although I am accepting of the idea of a pig roast as an interesting cultural experience, it is not something I will pay extra to do;)

The folks at Patricks did recommend the morning Lagoon tour for best viewing of the wildlife, which is why I didn't book a whole day and have the snorkel portion be in the afternoon. I'm so excited...coral and sharks and rays ...oh my!:D

Still want to do the 4x4; thinking of doing the PG excursion...two ?s for those in the know:

1- will it likely be available if I wait till we board ( and use OBC) to book?

2- can anyone compare the Particks vs PG 4 x 4 excursions? The PG one I am looking at on BB says Le Truk, there is also the BB Off Road adventure, wondering if these are similar to Patrics 4x4?

The 4X4 and Le Truk are two very different things. Le Truk is more like a small, funky open-air bus. The PG's Offroad Adventure is going to be equivalent to the 4X4 with Patrick. I did the PG's Offroad Adventure before - it was a blast, I loved it! I imagine Patrick's will be very similar. Keep in mind there are only so many vendors on the island offering the 4X4 excursions - the PG has to use a local vendor. I'm sure they are all very similar.

While I generally tend to book excursions in advance on cruises, my understanding is that the PG rarely fills up with pre-books. ESPECIALLY given you can't even use their website right now to pre-book, since it's going through some kind of upgrade. I called PG Cruises last week to ask about pre-booking excursions, and they told me that most people book on the ship...but you can pre-book by calling them.

By the way, you can still use your OBC if you pre-book - you don't get charged until the end of the cruise, and your OBC will just come right off the bottom line of your shipboard account. :)

Archived