Cosol vs Spencer Ambrose

Shininghalo1

I've heard very good things about Cosol and Spencer. Both have availability on the day I'll be in St. Lucia, so I'm trying to choose between the two.

Has anyone done both who would be able to comment on a preference between the two? I know I can't go wrong, but I'm not sure how to make the choice!

If you are comparing Spencer's West Coast island delight and cosol's tour, then there is very little difference. Mainly - on Spencer's tour, you get lunch, along with a few snacks along the way and on Cosol's tour, you get snacks along the way, no actual lunch. both are land only, go to pretty much the same places, have a water taxi ride to/from Jalousie beach, are around the same length, and cost the same. So basically - do you want lunch also, is the question!

If you are comparing spencer's land/sea adventure to cosol's tour - then the difference is obvious - Spencer returns by sea whereas Cosol returns by land. Difference in price, obviously also.

Both give an excellent tour product. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there an alternative to going to the beach for an hour? I've heard alot of negative things about the beach time. Is there something else that can be done during that beach time if they all come back to the same spot they leave from?

• 1 month later...

I also am pondering the Cosol/ambrose tour. At first I was team Cosol but I really don't like the idea of being in a van and cooped up on all those winding roads. I hear they are pretty scary. I don't care about seeing/smelling sulper either.

Spencer has a Jealousy Beach break tour that is all by boat..I think I would enjoy that more as pick up and drop off are by boat. I guess I answered my own question.:D

However, more input is greatly appreciated.

I also am pondering the Cosol/ambrose tour. At first I was team Cosol but I really don't like the idea of being in a van and cooped up on all those winding roads. I hear they are pretty scary. I don't care about seeing/smelling sulper either.

Spencer has a Jealousy Beach break tour that is all by boat..I think I would enjoy that more as pick up and drop off are by boat. I guess I answered my own question.:D

However, more input is greatly appreciated.

Yes, Darcien, as noted on other of your posts, Spencer Ambrose's Jalousie Beach break is entirely by boat - he takes you down and picks you up by speed boat. It is about a 45 minute ride down and near to an hour on the way back as there are a few scenic stops on the way back - bat cave, Marigot Bay, etc.

Cosol's tour is entirely by van both ways with a short water taxi from the Soufriere dock to the Jalousie beach dock and an hour or so of beach time.

On Spencer's beach break tour - you don't go to the waterfall, fishing villages, banana plantations or volcano. It is down to the beach and back up. On Cosol's land tour - you stop at all of the above.

Spence also has a land/sea combo that includes a land tour down with stops for the banana plantation, fishing village, volcano, waterfall and beach time and is by boat back up the coast.

So - several options.

Enjoy your visit.

Jalousie Beach is beautiful. If you like beach time and snorkeling, this tour is worth checking out. Spencer gets you there quickly, ahead of the crowds.

We were there in Feb. and we were the first at the beach. We picked out a couple of nice loungers under a palapa right next to the buffet table. We snorkeled for at least 2 hours - there were only about 6 of us in the water - it was wonderful. The lunch was great, too.

Cheers, P:)

Is spenser doing different with lunch, you mentioned buffet, I thought he did a box lunch. Can anyone confirm this and what was on the buffet? Also for Spenser's beach break does he go to another beach also?

We contacted Cosol to book a tour and he suggested since we have a Toddler with us we should go for a private taxi for 3 of us for 180$. He said People smoke a lot on Van/Bus so private Car will be better but it sounds expensive since I read on this forum it's only 40$ for Kid. Please advise.

Is spenser doing different with lunch, you mentioned buffet, I thought he did a box lunch. Can anyone confirm this and what was on the buffet? Also for Spenser's beach break does he go to another beach also?

Spencer provides box lunches on his West Coast and Land & Sea Tour. The buffet lunch is offered on the Jalousie Beach Break. The Jalousie Beach Break also includes a stop at Anse Chastanet.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back and did the Jalouise beach break but added on the Soufriere highlights (so visited falls and you choose mudbath -$5 extra - or - volcano, not both. You spend about 30 min. each- they are close to each other- then go to the beach for a few hours. The lunch was buffet on the beach, and we were not restricted where we went. Spencer was very clear that we could explore the entire beach. It was very pleasant.

Karen

We just returned from St. Lucia after spending a week on the island and we did a tour with both of them. You can't go wrong either way! We did a private boat tour with Spencer's crew and had a fabulous time and did a private land tour with Cosol and had an equally fabulous time. Yes, the roads are winding but Cosol was a great driver. Spencer's crew did an amazing job on the water.

On the day of our tour with Spenser, we had Terry and Mango as our tour guides. Since there were five of us, we opted to do a private boat tour and we were not disappointed! They picked us up in Rodney Bay and then took us along the coast to Soufriere where we got off the boat and caught a taxi to the volcano and waterfall. Mango stayed behind with the boat but Terry stayed with us the entire time. After the waterfall, we went back to Soufriere and had the best island lunch, did a little shopping and then headed back to the boat. Never once did we feel unsafe having Terry with us. After getting back into the boat, we headed over to Jalousie Bay to do some snorkeling which was amazing! Then back into the boat and onto Anse Chastanet which again provided us with some wonderful snorkeling. Since this was a private tour, we set our own schedule. After we were finished snorkeling, we headed back up the coast stopping at Marigot Bay and other sites along the way. We received such great information during our tour from our guides and since I have limited mobility, they were very helpful in making sure that I got on and off the boat safely. I would recommend Spenser to anyone.

We wanted to do a land tour as well so I contacted Cosol and again, we met in Rodney Bay for a day on the island with just the five of us and Cosol. Cosol is very knowledgeable about the history of the island and it's people and was a pleasure to talk with. He took us to the overlooks, got us on the aerial tram through the rainforest even though it was after tour times, to the fishing village of Anse-la-Raye, give us the history and current production of the banana plantations, and took us to a wonderful restaurant overlooking Marigot Bay for another great island meal. The roads are VERY windy on St. Lucia but Cosol was a great driver and none of us got car sick or felt afraid at any time.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the West Coast Land and Sea tour with Spencer in Aug 2011. We had an awesome day. I really wanted to see some of the land sights, but didn't relish being in a van all day, so this was a great compromise.

I don't remember all of the trip details, but we made lots of stops during the morning to get out, stretch our legs, take some pics, sample food, etc. Our guide was very informative. Then we took a boat to the beach for our box lunch. My family enjoyed swimming at the beach and I just chilled on the lounges under the trees.

Then into the boats back to the port with some sightseeing on the way back. It really was a great day!

We just returned from St. Lucia after spending a week on the island and we did a tour with both of them. You can't go wrong either way! We did a private boat tour with Spencer's crew and had a fabulous time and did a private land tour with Cosol and had an equally fabulous time. Yes, the roads are winding but Cosol was a great driver. Spencer's crew did an amazing job on the water.

On the day of our tour with Spenser, we had Terry and Mango as our tour guides. Since there were five of us, we opted to do a private boat tour and we were not disappointed! They picked us up in Rodney Bay and then took us along the coast to Soufriere where we got off the boat and caught a taxi to the volcano and waterfall. Mango stayed behind with the boat but Terry stayed with us the entire time. After the waterfall, we went back to Soufriere and had the best island lunch, did a little shopping and then headed back to the boat. Never once did we feel unsafe having Terry with us. After getting back into the boat, we headed over to Jalousie Bay to do some snorkeling which was amazing! Then back into the boat and onto Anse Chastanet which again provided us with some wonderful snorkeling. Since this was a private tour, we set our own schedule. After we were finished snorkeling, we headed back up the coast stopping at Marigot Bay and other sites along the way. We received such great information during our tour from our guides and since I have limited mobility, they were very helpful in making sure that I got on and off the boat safely. I would recommend Spenser to anyone.

We wanted to do a land tour as well so I contacted Cosol and again, we met in Rodney Bay for a day on the island with just the five of us and Cosol. Cosol is very knowledgeable about the history of the island and it's people and was a pleasure to talk with. He took us to the overlooks, got us on the aerial tram through the rainforest even though it was after tour times, to the fishing village of Anse-la-Raye, give us the history and current production of the banana plantations, and took us to a wonderful restaurant overlooking Marigot Bay for another great island meal. The roads are VERY windy on St. Lucia but Cosol was a great driver and none of us got car sick or felt afraid at any time.

Would you share where you stayed on St Lucia?

We just returned from our cruise where we did the Land and Sea Tour with Spencer Ambrose while in St. Lucia. His brother, Small, was our driver for the day. Spencer accomodated our request to be in a smaller van so there were eight of us plus Small. We received so much information about the island and saw so many things....banana plantations, fishing villages, drive-in volcano.

The roads are very windy in St. Lucia so I was really glad when we reached the point to get on the boat to go to Jalouise Beach. We were served lunch on the beach and had about an hour for swimming or snorkeling. The beach there is very rocky on the end where we were seated so we didn't snorkel but others who did said it was excellent.

On the ride back to the port, we were given the sea tour by Terry and I apologize for not remembering the driver's name. Both guys were very informative.

It was a great day and I would highly recommend this tour as you get a great overview of the island by land and by sea.

Spencer's website states that there is a $20/chair charge at Jalouise Beach - seems high for about 1.5 hours. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

That is for the padded chairs in the shade and is charged by the hotel - not Spencer. You would be renting them from the hotel. The price is actually for the day - but you are only there for about 1-1.5 hours on the Island tour.

There are free chairs provided from the hotel on one side of the beach - these are the slatted type - not super comfy, but perfectly adequate for the stop. There is some shade in the area also- a few palapas and few trees. You are perfectly allowed to put your towel down anywhere on the beach you want - except under any man made structures, unless you rent them from the hotel. The beaches in St. Lucia are all public and you can camp out anywhere you want on them, but for the padded chairs or hotel provided umbrellas, etc - you would have to rent from the hotel.

Enjoy.

We went with Spenser in March of 2011 for the Jalousie Beach Break. It was not a perfect weather day, a bit of wind, some clouds but we had a great day anyway. The ride down and back was not as smooth as we would have liked but no one got sick and we always felt safe. Spencer put us in the first boat he sent out--he does hire other boats and captains--and we were on the beach nice and early, even with a stop in Marigot Bay. Since we were first on the beach we had our choice of the free chairs and shade. Lunch time came and it was fantastic. There was plenty to drink all day and you never had to ask, they were always offering. Spencer does not provide snorkel gear but you can rent on the beach for $10. We did not snorkel, we just enjoyed a great beach day.

I would go back to St. Lucia, just to see and visit with Spencer again. Very private tour. Just 2 couples, all the village snacks and lunch was fabulous...but, mostly what we loved about Spencer. He gave of himself. 'A thousand times over.' We have never met someone so interesting in his talk of his life and family. We cherish the memories.

The next best private tour guide would be in St. Kitts, Thenford Grey...A total gentleman. Loved him also...hope you consider both, if you can.

We have done Cosols tour & loved it but the one thing I didn't like so much was the very long drive just to visit "Mr. Nice's" fruit shack. The fruits we tried were excellent I just didn't like that it took so long to get there. I would have rather skipped that & had more beach time. Or if the sample fruits & nuts were closer to the port.

That's why I booked Spencer's Beach Break tour for next April. He wrote me that we'll get to spend 3-4 hours on Jalouise beach. The Cosol tour we did we had an hour & a half. Jalouise Beach is AMAZING & not to be missed, great snorkeling and beautiful vistas you'll never see anywhere else.

Thank you all for the reviews...I was looking at Cosol's site and noticed he had no beach time at all (I swear there was an hour or so before....but I could be wrong) so I think we're going to try and go with Spencer. I've heard AMAZING things about Cosol, but it just seems like an awful lot of driving in one day.....

• 2 weeks later...
Cosol's tour was a lot of driving but he had a new bus, which was very nice. I do like that Spencer's Tour is on a speedboat, it will give us a totally different perspective of St. Lucia

We are thinking of booking Cosol tours, what time does his tour start?

We are thinking of booking Cosol tours, what time does his tour start?

Sorry I don't remember the exact times as it's been a few years since our visit. Seems like a half hour or so afer the ship docked we were on one of his vans on our way. Maybe someone more recently on the tour can elaborate...

Archived