Two adults and two little kids: Two connecting rooms or a suite

Cre8tivCruiser

On freedom on the seas on deck 9 aft there are 2 balconies that connect to interiors. We did those and it was less then the suite. We have 3 kids in the interior and my hubs and I have the balcony. The kids are 7, 5, and 1 so there will be a pack n play. Plus 2 bathrooms is a huge plus.

Dee

I would go with the connecting cabins, too....usually less expensive than a suite, and everyone gets a "real" bed! And, parents get some privacy, which won't be possible in anything but 2 bedroom suites....most have a master bed area and living area....so it's not as private as 2 cabins will be.

And yes...those balconie that connect to an interior is a great value, if you can find them not already rented!

Have you looked into something like a family view room. We did one last year on the Summit - it has one area with a queen bed. Then there is a wall and a second area with 2 couches (on is a single bed and the other a pull out double (you could just use the single bed and don't have the second couch made up). You would have plenty of room for a pack and play - and have a separate area for you. Also they were aft views so they were huge balconies as well.

I'd go with a Jr. Suite or similar type room. Lots of floor space, pull out couch (instead of a pullman for your older LO) and 3rd & 4th person fees are bound to be much less that a full 1st and 2nd person in another room!

I'd go with a Jr. Suite or similar type room. Lots of floor space, pull out couch (instead of a pullman for your older LO) and 3rd & 4th person fees are bound to be much less that a full 1st and 2nd person in another room!

Not the case all the time. When we booked the Jr Suite was $400 more then our balcony with connecting interior for the 5 of us. Plus 2 bathrooms for 4 people is awesome.

We'e been in the Family OV room with RCI with six; lots of room, though not a true suite. It has a bunk room, queen (or two twin beds) and a sofa sleeper. There is a curtain that pulls around the queen bed for privacy. Lots of storage, but only one bathroom.

We got a very good deal, but of course that varies with time or year, ship, how booked the cruise is, and other factors.

I priced it out and right now it would be about $2,000 more for a suite than connecting rooms! This is for the Carnival Splendor. And I found a video of the suite and it doesn't seem big at all, so I think the two cabins would be the way to go. I don't think they have any of those family type staterooms?

Here is the video if anyone else wants to see.

I priced it out and right now it would be about $2,000 more for a suite than connecting rooms! This is for the Carnival Splendor. And I found a video of the suite and it doesn't seem big at all, so I think the two cabins would be the way to go. I don't think they have any of those family type staterooms?

Here is the video if anyone else wants to see.

Wow! Huge difference.

So is your plan to have the kids in one room? I think that would make me nervous....if we ended up in 2 rooms there would be no "privacy" for mom and dad because we'd never be together!

NCL Dawn and Star mini-suites work well for two adults and two younger children (up to 10yo or so). We sailed with a 4yo and a 6yo in a mini, and it was great. I'm pretty sure the minis on NCL Gem/Jade/Jewel/Pearl are similar to those on the Dawn & Star. Note that NCL's mini-suites do not come with any suite perks. They could be more accurately described as deluxe balconies. They're bigger than a standard balcony cabin, and have nicer bathrooms (including a tub). There's also a heavy curtain that can be drawn between the bed and the sofa bed, making it possible for parents to keep the lights on without disturbing sleeping kids.

This time we're trying out the new family suite (cat SJ) on the NCL Star. They're also available on the Dawn. SJ has large windows and a ton of floor space, but no balcony, which could be a plus or a minus depending on how comfortable you are with kids and balconies. However, there are a few family suites that do have a balcony, cat SG. Both SJ and SG look like a fantastic choice for families with both younger and older kids.

We booked a mini-suite on the NCL Star for our upcoming trip. After really looking at the floor plans we changed to connecting rooms. We had to pay a little more, but I want a little privacy from my kids on this cruise for some "adult time." A heavy curtain dividing us from them just wont work.

Our son is 15 and daughter is 3. So I am comfortable letting them be next door. Most of the time the door between rooms will be open. Our understanding is that the balcony doors are heavy (they have been on our other cruises) and we will keep them locked. As for the main door going into the hallways our daughter has been taught to NEVER open house doors, hotel doors ect... by herself. I am hoping the doors have a latch at the top that will be to high for her to reach since kids can be unpredictable.

Archived