Saint Malo - Tender Dock Location

whitetmp

Can anyone describe where the tender dock is at St Malo? You get a perfect ten if you can provide coordinates for Google Earth, otherwise a general description. Thanks.

Have a look for 'esplanade de la bourse' on Google maps . According to a cruise website a brand new tender dock is at la Bourse which is 100m from the old city. We have been to St Malo lots of times - it's fabulous. Be sure to have gallettes (savoury filled pancakes made with buckwheat flour) with local cider for lunch!

Have a look for 'esplanade de la bourse' on Google maps . According to a cruise website a brand new tender dock is at la Bourse which is 100m from the old city. We have been to St Malo lots of times - it's fabulous. Be sure to have gallettes (savoury filled pancakes made with buckwheat flour) with local cider for lunch!

Margbem - if you don't mind me asking? You've been to St. Malo lots of times - this is our first time:eek: Should we stick with St. Malo or divide our time between Mont St. Michel and St. Malo. We are thinking of going to Mont St. Michel by taxi (?) but if it is going to make it too tight or we are best to stay in St. Malo then we would do that. Thanks for your advice:D

Margbem - if you don't mind me asking? You've been to St. Malo lots of times - this is our first time:eek: Should we stick with St. Malo or divide our time between Mont St. Michel and St. Malo. We are thinking of going to Mont St. Michel by taxi (?) but if it is going to make it too tight or we are best to stay in St. Malo then we would do that. Thanks for your advice:D

How long do you have in port? St Malo is a walled, walkable small city with lots of shops, cafes, bars etc. It is easy to spend the best part of a day there, having a long lunch in the middle! There are also beaches so if the weather is good you could sit in the sun for a while. St Servan is worth a visit, not far, as is the visitor centre at the tidal barrage on the Rance river, again, not far away. A local taxi could take you to both places if you negotiate a price before you get in!

If you really want to see Mont St Michel it is only 23 miles away but would maybe need quite a lot of time to see it fully. I think it all depends on how long you have in port. Have you tried to find a local guide who would take you to both places?

Timely question - I was going to ask this one as well. We booked a rental car from Europcar at the ferry terminal location and I assumed the tender dock would be near there and I was correct (it looks like a short walk from the dock to the ferry terminal).

We plan to make a whirlwind trip to Mont St. Michel, probably more for the exterior "money shots" than detailed explorations, since I have read many negative remarks about the disappointing tourist-tacky places on the island that detract from its allure. We will then try to squeeze in a visit to Dinan (time-permitting) before returning to St. Malo for a short exploration. The car costs about $80 for a full day rental, including CDW.

Timely question - I was going to ask this one as well. We booked a rental car from Europcar at the ferry terminal location and I assumed the tender dock would be near there and I was correct (it looks like a short walk from the dock to the ferry terminal).

We plan to make a whirlwind trip to Mont St. Michel, probably more for the exterior "money shots" than detailed explorations, since I have read many negative remarks about the disappointing tourist-tacky places on the island that detract from its allure. We will then try to squeeze in a visit to Dinan (time-permitting) before returning to St. Malo for a short exploration. The car costs about $80 for a full day rental, including CDW.

That would be the perfect way to do it!!

Mont St Michel is a bit of a tourist trap - lots of tacky shops etc. It's worth climbing all the way to the top and going into the monastery, if you have time. Dinan is gorgeous - don't miss going up the steep cobbled street from the quayside into the town and have those galettes for lunch!

How long do you have in port? St Malo is a walled, walkable small city with lots of shops, cafes, bars etc. It is easy to spend the best part of a day there, having a long lunch in the middle! There are also beaches so if the weather is good you could sit in the sun for a while. St Servan is worth a visit, not far, as is the visitor centre at the tidal barrage on the Rance river, again, not far away. A local taxi could take you to both places if you negotiate a price before you get in!

If you really want to see Mont St Michel it is only 23 miles away but would maybe need quite a lot of time to see it fully. I think it all depends on how long you have in port. Have you tried to find a local guide who would take you to both places?

We will be in port from 8 a.m to 6 pm - so not a real long time. I have found private guides willing to do both, pricey, but willing to do it. Wondering if we do it though if we will just get a snapshot of both and not really experience anything. Mont st. Michel is supposed to be something but so is St. Malo so I was kind of wondering if we just spend our time in St. Malo, will be depriving ourselves? I was half thinking of hiring a cab to get to Mont St. Michel:confused:

From your post above it looks like it is worth the trip.

If I was offered the choice of St Malo or Mont St Michel I would choose St Malo every time. Mont St Michel is tacky, heavingly busy and quite a distance if you only have a short day. St Malo was completely destroyed in the 2nd world war and has been rebuilt to be exactly the same as it was before. Probably other people might tell you not to miss MSM but we wouldn't go again!!

Thanks for the hint about galettes, margbem. We will definitely try them. Do you have any recommendations for restaurants in Dinan or St. Malo?

Another question about Dinan: I just had both knees replaced and hope to be pretty functional by September (when our cruise occurs), but I'm curious as to how steep the streets are in this village. Would you consider them to be really challenging?

Your feedback reinforces in my mind that we are doing the right thing by perhaps limiting our MSM experience to exterior photographs. The place does look magical from a distance. Another thing that may create difficulties in visiting MSM is the causeway removal project. I believe after April 2012, visitors will no longer be able to drive across the causeway and park at the base of MSM, but will have to park on the mainland and walk across or take a shuttle bus. A dam has been built and the causeway is being replaced with a light bridge to try and restore the tidal flats to their previous consistency, when MSM was truly an island.

Rick Steves highly recommends the town of Dinan as well, so that's why we are probably going to spend a little more time there.

Thanks for the hint about galettes, margbem. We will definitely try them. Do you have any recommendations for restaurants in Dinan or St. Malo?

Another question about Dinan: I just had both knees replaced and hope to be pretty functional by September (when our cruise occurs), but I'm curious as to how steep the streets are in this village. Would you consider them to be really challenging?

Your feedback reinforces in my mind that we are doing the right thing by perhaps limiting our MSM experience to exterior photographs. The place does look magical from a distance. Another thing that may create difficulties in visiting MSM is the causeway removal project. I believe after April 2012, visitors will no longer be able to drive across the causeway and park at the base of MSM, but will have to park on the mainland and walk across or take a shuttle bus. A dam has been built and the causeway is being replaced with a light bridge to try and restore the tidal flats to their previous consistency, when MSM was truly an island.

Rick Steves highly recommends the town of Dinan as well, so that's why we are probably going to spend a little more time there.

It's a while since we were in Dinan so I'd look on trip advisor for restaurants. The main street down from the town to the quay is very steep and cobbled so it may hurt your knees. I'm a fellow sufferer so know that downhill is not good!

There are lots of little shops to look in so you can take it slowly. I agree, if MSM is having works then just a distant view for a photo would suffice!

If I was offered the choice of St Malo or Mont St Michel I would choose St Malo every time. Mont St Michel is tacky, heavingly busy and quite a distance if you only have a short day. St Malo was completely destroyed in the 2nd world war and has been rebuilt to be exactly the same as it was before. Probably other people might tell you not to miss MSM but we wouldn't go again!!

Thanks very much margbem - I appreciate your advice and help:)

We loved St Malo . The ship tendered in the bay inlet but I do not have the coordinates. The tenders leave you off not far from the ferries. The ferry goes to the other side of the Rance river to Dinard. We walked the ramparts in St Malo and had lunch at a wonderful little restaurant Cafe Simon. We had originally intended to go up to Mont St Michelle but the public transportation did not avail itself to the time in port since we arrived at noon which was too late for the bus to Mont St Michelle. Also, if it is raining the cobblestones in Mont St Michel become very slick and slippery and hard to walk.

The extreme tides at St Malo are fascinating. If you obtain a tide schedule you can walk to the isle of Grande Be where the footpath becomes exposed during low tides.

If we go again, we well head up to Dinan which is suppose to be lovely.

We loved St Malo . The ship tendered in the bay inlet but I do not have the coordinates. The tenders leave you off not far from the ferries. The ferry goes to the other side of the Rance river to Dinard. We walked the ramparts in St Malo and had lunch at a wonderful little restaurant Cafe Simon. We had originally intended to go up to Mont St Michelle but the public transportation did not avail itself to the time in port since we arrived at noon which was too late for the bus to Mont St Michelle. Also, if it is raining the cobblestones in Mont St Michel become very slick and slippery and hard to walk.

The extreme tides at St Malo are fascinating. If you obtain a tide schedule you can walk to the isle of Grande Be where the footpath becomes exposed during low tides.

If we go again, we well head up to Dinan which is suppose to be lovely.

Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

St. Malo is a tender port for us and I am trying to time a private excursion with leaving the ship. Does anyone recall how long the tender time took?:confused:

I'm not talking about the lineups or anything like that just the time the tender takes? Not sure how far out the ship has to be to gage it?

I have done some searches but haven't found any answers.

thank you very much if you can help:)

• 1 month later...

Archived