Price drop with increase in fees & taxes

baf0117oc

I was very happy to see two quick price drops on our cruise which we booked a year before sailing. I have 2 cabins in a 4K. Cabin for 2 was eligible for drop and our cabin for 4 was not. When the agent confirmed the price drop of $80 on the base price for 2 the fees and taxes increased $37 so that $80 drop significantly reduced. Has anyone else experienced this?

I was very happy to see two quick price drops on our cruise which we booked a year before sailing. I have 2 cabins in a 4K. Cabin for 2 was eligible for drop and our cabin for 4 was not. When the agent confirmed the price drop of $80 on the base price for 2 the fees and taxes increased $37 so that $80 drop significantly reduced. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes. This happened to us and we had booked directly with Carnival. We did get part of it back as OBC once we were onboard.

yes my taxes and fees went up almost $200 so no price drops for me. I did get one as the person at 800 carnival didn't know the change in rules. But now debating wheather to switch to ES fo $53 more as there is a drop of $140 on my cruise right now. so my original price drop would only be $47. But just trying to figure if it would be worth it as who knows if the price will drop anymore..

I've had this happen also with Carnival. I still can't figure out how a lower price causes higher taxes.:confused:

Taxes aren't a % of the cruise cost. I believe they are a fixed cost from port authorities that are passed to customers. These can rise and fall independently of cruise fares.

When we put in for the first price drop on our 3/25/12 Conquest cruise, the taxes & fees went up. We have family members in a different cabin. Their category didn't qualify for a price drop and their taxes weren't affected.

I assumed the taxes & fees changed, in part, because we had a port change from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay.

Fast forward a few weeks and cabin #2 has gotten a price drop. Their fees were then adjusted. My PVP said their fees never would've gone up if we had left the cabin pricing alone (but the price drops still had them coming out ahead).

We have gotten surprised by a little OBC once onboard from a refund due to adjusted taxes & fees. Hopefully we'll see a few $$ this time around.

My PVP said their fees never would've gone up if we had left the cabin pricing alone

That makes more sense. They only pass on new port fee/tax increases if you change your fare.

I would imagine port fees and taxes do not change very often.

We have gotten OBC on our last two cruises because of port fee/tax decreases. That is weird because we booked both cruises less than 2 weeks before the actual cruise. You would think they would have charged the correct amounts when we booked.

We recently received a much reduced credit due to the increase in taxes and fees. Also they adjusted our credit due to the fact that tips had increased since we booked. We had asked for prepaid tips prior to the price increase, we had not fully paid for our cruise until a couple of weeks after the increase they charged us the difference.

I still think it is a rip off! When we price match ES, it is to the cruise fare only!! Not the gov't fees/taxes!

I mean I know if they go down we get them as OBC as I will have some in a week but then make us price match the whole cost!

I've had this happen also with Carnival. I still can't figure out how a lower price causes higher taxes.:confused:

Taxes and fees are not based on a % but are flat fees. Whenever you get a price change of any kind Carnival adjusts the total fare to include the then prevailing fees and taxes.

Taxes and fees are not based on a % but are flat fees. Whenever you get a price change of any kind Carnival adjusts the total fare to include the then prevailing fees and taxes.

I agree but just because I received a price adjustment because I booked ES I was charged the new tax and fees amount. My friends, who were right next door to me, did not book ES and did not get a price adjustment, were not charged the increase in taxes and fees.

So is it fair to charge some on the cruise the increase in fees and taxes and to not charge the others? It would appear that since a person has booked ES and they are watching the prices that they are being penalized because they asked for the credit.

Just asking.

Exact thing just happened to me. In 2010 only cruise fare changed when I got price drops but this year its been different. I posted on carnivals site under looking for carnival assistance & got 2 replies. 1 reply explained when they redo your cruise summary the now fees are applied. Which was an increase in tips $21 @ increase in tax/fees of 11.84. I've never seen an obc of 47. 16. So guess they doing it differently now. Second reply wanted to point out to me that it was my own money I had already paid and I should be happy for any obc. Duh.... Glad they told me that info. I'm probably too stupid to know what I paid. And of course I'm happy about any amount of obc. Wasnt complaining, merely wanted clarification cause wasnt done that way last time & as another poster said... I thought drops were in rate only & had nothing to do with taxes

Happened to me also. I called my PVP about it and she had to call her boss to get an explanation. It isn't the tax that changes but the fees and they tend to go up (and down) before you step on the ship. As others have said if they go down you'll get the OBC.

The fees and taxes are per person and do not change with the price of the cabin.

Your travel agent must be using creative accounting

I am sorry to say I disagree, because I was booked through a TA and my friends were booked through Carnival. They had fees and taxes increased when we got a price drop-I was not.My friends brought it to Carnival's attention that I did not receive an increase in fees and taxes, so Carnival matched my pricing. Very fair on their part. Found out later, that happens, no matter where you book . The, when we got on the cruise, hubby and I each got another $14 back as an OBC. Did not ask my friends-forgot to.

So please, do not thinking you are being cheated on.

It would appear that since a person has booked ES and they are watching the prices that they are being penalized because they asked for the credit.

Just asking.[/font][/size]

Would seem to be the case. Do folks who pay regular rates in full get billed for more taxes later?

yes, it is typical is the taxes etc went up they are taken out of your refund

yes my taxes and fees went up almost $200 so no price drops for me. I did get one as the person at 800 carnival didn't know the change in rules. But now debating wheather to switch to ES fo $53 more as there is a drop of $140 on my cruise right now. so my original price drop would only be $47. But just trying to figure if it would be worth it as who knows if the price will drop anymore..

$200 sounds like an awful lot to go up in taxes and fees. Something doesn't sound right there.

If there is a price drop right now of $140 why not call CCL or your TA and have it applied. You don't need to switch to ES to get price drops before final payment date.

Bill

Would seem to be the case. Do folks who pay regular rates in full get billed for more taxes later?

No...my friends who booked past guest and were not eligible for an ES credit were never charged the new higher taxes and fees.

From what I can see...and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...you are not charged the new higher price taxes and fees unless you ask for a ES price reduction or upgrade or switch rates.

So basically, if you book your cruise and do not change anything, ES credits or upgrades, etc. then you will not be charged if the taxes and fees go up in cost. But if you get a credit for ES or upgrade, then you will be charged the extra if taxes and fees go up.

$200 sounds like an awful lot to go up in taxes and fees. Something doesn't sound right there.

If there is a price drop right now of $140 why not call CCL or your TA and have it applied. You don't need to switch to ES to get price drops before final payment date.

Bill

I have called ccl I can switch to ES for $53 more or stay past guest. But the fees when I booked were 429.52. Doing a dummy booking they are 622. I had received a $100 drop due to an error on carnival quoting me that my fees would not change then when they put the booking in. I also started a thread to ask this last week. I copied and pasted my bill so you can see. As someone else questioned the amount but I do believe I am reading it correctly.

CRUISE RATE $ 3556.00

FEDERAL TAXES/FEES $ 429.52

SUMMARY CHARGES

PAYMENTS RECEIVED $ 1400.00

GUEST BALANCE DUE $ 2585.52

FINAL PAYMENT DUE DATE 6/7/2012

No...my friends who booked past guest and were not eligible for an ES credit were never charged the new higher taxes and fees.

From what I can see...and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...you are not charged the new higher price taxes and fees unless you ask for a ES price reduction or upgrade or switch rates.

So basically, if you book your cruise and do not change anything, ES credits or upgrades, etc. then you will not be charged if the taxes and fees go up in cost. But if you get a credit for ES or upgrade, then you will be charged the extra if taxes and fees go up.

I was told any change done to a booking price will change the the price to the current fees and taxes. If you don't do anything your fees will not go up.

I was told any change done to a booking price will change the the price to the current fees and taxes. If you don't do anything your fees will not go up.

I know this is what Carnival is doing.

Shouldn't everyone's fees and taxes be increased? Why make some pay extra when should be charged to all?

I don't understand how they can increase so much. They should also grandfather you. If you booked with the old rules then they should honor that but I guess they can do what they want. They should also be consistent across the board.

Archived