Packing Coffee in your suitcase

POOHISME2

I've never carried it on the outbound flight, but when we go to Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, etc. --- we certainly buy plenty and bring it on the return flight. It has always been packed in sacks, not cans. Can't imagine why carrying it in a sealed can would be a problem - I've never heard of any regulation against coffee cans.

Bringing my own coffee on a Princess cruise is an absolute must. They truly have the worst coffee of any cruiseline.

I pack mine in ziplock bags. I don't buy coffee in cans, so I don't know if bringing one would be a problem or not.

Jane

Bringing my own coffee on a Princess cruise is an absolute must. They truly have the worst coffee of any cruiseline. Jane
This is what I've been told. But then it was mentioned people have used coffee to hide drugs in. I just want my coffee spilled out.

How are you going to make the coffee, it is my understanding they don't have coffee makers in the cabins?

You can put it in a freezer zip-lock right next to your cranberry juice, limes and other mixers;)

How are you going to make the coffee, it is my understanding they don't have coffee makers in the cabins?

You can put it in a freezer zip-lock right next to your cranberry juice, limes and other mixers;)

LOL.. Im bringing my OWN coffeemaker, along with my OWN cranberry juice (not paying for juice)..Guess you will know how my review will start..:D

This is the first cruise line that I have ever heard of that the MAJORITY of people on this board says the Coffee stinks!! There are so many posts about BAD coffee on Princess. As an addicted coffee drinker, I was advised to bring my own maker and coffee. Sounded silly at first, but after some thought, I decided to just buy a cheap coffee maker and I will leave it there after the cruise. 7 days of Bad coffee will not make a happy cruiser..

WE pack a small coffee maker that makes two mugs. We pack our coffee in a plastic container marked coffee(like that helps) and a measuring spoon and filters. We enjoy making our good flavored coffees in the morning. After that we start to add some of the ship's coffee ...not as bad then. Yes, we get our bags checked everytime! The coffee maker probably sends off whistles! Peg

I plan on bringing Folgers coffee bags. They brew like a tea bag. Just have room service deliver you a carafe of boiling water. Dunk the bag for a few minutes, and you have a decent cup of coffee without bringing a coffeemaker. Not as good as fresh brewed but a lot better than what Princess serves!

IF we go on another Princess cruise we will DEFINATELY be bringing our own coffee. We will bring either a french press or a one./two cup drip. Not a big deal for us and easy to pack. Princess coffee is absolutely terrible-another money saving/labor saving idea from their parent I suppose. This was just a minor issue for us, everthing elso on the Sun was great. We did take some coffee back home-4 lbs-packed in plastic. No issues.

We've just returned from our sixth Princess cruise. We do not like the coffee and love a good cup of coffee in the morning. I bought a coffeemaker several years ago just to take on cruises. It is smaller than the average, but still makes six good cups. I bought the lightest weight with the most plastic. Packed in bubble wrap in my luggage and no problems. As far as coffee goes, I took a tin of coffee with the plastic lid and placed it in a zip lock bag. This too was in our luggage. There were no problems at all. Have a great cruise.

I usually pack several of the little 2 ounce sample packets you can get at the grocery store. I just jam them inside the carafe with the filters, any extras easily fit anywhere inside a suitcase.

That is the best idea...I can't believe it never occured to me. I always bring a big package of Starbucks or whatever and then have to deal with it dribbling bits of coffee here and there every time I open and close it. Thanks for the idea :) .

Being a spoiled partner at Starbucks, I was horrified to find out that Princess uses syrup for their coffee. My roommates and I are packing our 12oz stainless steel French Press and half a pound of coarse ground coffee. You can just use hot tea water from one of the dining rooms or buffets, in 4 mins...proper, delicious coffee!

If everyone brought there own coffee and french presses into the dining room for breakfast maybe Princess would get the hint. How much do they save in a year buying syrup coffee. Is the ice tea also syrup tea?:eek:

I just returned from our cruise this past Monday and I had a 3lb can of coffee with me. I put it inside a 2 gallon ziplock bag and stored it inside my checked luggage. TSA did not open my luggage. Actually, I didn't make as many pots of coffee as I did on our November cruise. It seemed like the coffee was actually better than in November. Do you think they got the hint that the coffee was really bad?

If everyone thinks Princess coffee is so bad, has anyone complained? Seems to be a popular complaint, and if so, why hasn't Princess listened to the comments and done something about it. After all everyone says they read each one!

It must be an easy thing to change I would think.

Cheers,

Peter

Not only have I complained about the coffee on the cruise lines comment sheet, I also spoke to the head chef on the Sun and he says that is the major complaint he hears on the ship. It seems that Princess does't care and hopes that people will buy espresso at their bars or in their specialty coffee shops.

:mad:

I must admit I would find that response as indefensible, and that would show a complete lack of respect for the passengers.

Maybe I should rethink Princess Cruises as a choice, if they show that much lack of customer service.

Cheers,

Peter

You can get decent coffee in the dining room, and at some of the bars in the morning. One of the bars will be selling espresso etc., but will have fresh-brewed regular coffee available at no charge. It's really just the stuff in Horizon Court that generates the complaints.

Taking a coffee maker is for me as much a matter of convenience as anything else. I don't need to call room service or go out and about if I want to enjoy my morning coffee. It's just there.

For those considering taking their own coffee maker, it is wise to have an extension cord because the available outlets are not always located conveniently.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my Golden Princess 5/1 sailing. We brought a sealed can of maxwell house packed in the checked luggage and a sealed bag of coffee packed in our carry-on. Neither was touched or opened. I found that the coffee onboard was OK. And if I ever did sail Princess again, I wouldn't even bother to bring the coffee maker!!

Archived