Packing Coffee in your suitcase

POOHISME2

Update on my Golden Princess 5/1 sailing. We brought a sealed can of maxwell house packed in the checked luggage and a sealed bag of coffee packed in our carry-on. Neither was touched or opened. I found that the coffee onboard was OK. And if I ever did sail Princess again, I wouldn't even bother to bring the coffee maker!!

My wife and I and another couple was also on the 5/1/05 Golden Princess Cruise and we thought the coffee was horrible. Other than the coffee, everything else was great.

I love my coffee every morning and only do freshly ground that I purchase in The Fresh Market here. While we were on The Golden this past October I dreaded the coffee after reading the thread and reviews on this board. I guess because I expected the worst I didn't mind it all that much. For a week I was able to live with it.

I already have an overpacked suitcase for our upcoming trip to Europe and 10 night cruise on the Golden, if I pack a coffee maker and coffee I think my husband would commit me!

Just FYI because someone mentioned buying cranberry juice, here and on another thread - there were only two juices available in the Horizon Ct, orange and cranberry, for breakfast. You could easily fill a water bottle or such with cranberry juice at breakfast and have it for mixers or whatever for the day without having to bring your own.

And in answer to the iced tea question, seemed very much like syrup tea and not brewed tea. If you want to "brew your own" iced tea there are always tea bags and hot water available at the buffet, just steep and then pour over a cup of ice for better than what's from the dispenser (also works if you're wanting decaf iced tea).

We just returned from the Caribbean Princess. We brought a small coffee maker and a sealed can of coffee (of course, we also had a manual can-opener). There was no problem on the flight, though the TSA did open one of our bags (don't think it was the one with the coffee). And there was no problem boarding the ship with it.

This was our first cruise on Princess, so we had no idea--other than what we had read--about the coffee. It was generally bad, and,yes, they do use syrup to make it; we saw them putting it in. But they also have real cream, so that often masked the taste (basically weak) in Cafe Caribe and Horizon Court.

Archived