Dress code advice

benzamg

We understand the concept of "country club casual" but my fiancé and I enjoy dressing up for dinner.Would a suit with an open dress shirt be over doing it on board The Riviera?Would my fiancé feel comfortable wearing a cocktail dress with heels?

We understand the concept of "country club casual" but my fiancé and I enjoy dressing up for dinner.Would a suit with an open dress shirt be over doing it on board The Riviera?Would my fiancé feel comfortable wearing a cocktail dress with heels?

Sure, you will be fine, many of the models in the brochures wear just that. :D

oceania-cruises-2012-resize.jpg

I certainly intend wearing a nice dress and heels for "special" dinners. I find the term "country club casual" to be amusing though... never been in a country club!

I am annoyed though that my partner can't wear his lovely, dressy jeans with a lovely shirt. How is that wrong? It is much smarter than those beige docker pants which seem to be the only alternative.

I am annoyed though that my partner can't wear his lovely, dressy jeans with a lovely shirt. How is that wrong? It is much smarter than those beige docker pants which seem to be the only alternative.

He could wear navy docker pants ;)

Dress slacks or other types of slacks are also acceptable

He could wear his lovely dressy jeans to the Terrace for dinner

Most country clubs don't allow jeans. They were at one time workman's clothing; Now with that said, we wear jeans for even dress up; The problem lies with defining which jeans are acceptable for dress up; The worn/torn fashionable kind aren't; So because people will push the limit, there are none allowed. When we were in the Baltic, a young girl about 18 brought nothing but jeans - college student and she slid through a night or two in the main dining room in them. One night we were leaving for dinner and room service was delivering her dinner. She'd been asked to leave for wearing jeans.

I've said this before and I'll say it again ...

Despite the ban on jeans, DH has worn them to the GDR (never to Polo, etc., however) and nothing was said. His are in top botch condition and I love the way he looks in them. With a nice shirt, no one has ever objected. Now, if there were holes in them and they were terribly faded ... probably they would have.

As to the OP's question about feeling out of place if you dress up, *I* would say go for it. I've seen plenty of people wearing clothing that is on the dressy side, and often I'm in that category myself. I've even seen formal gowns at dinner, although not very often!

Wear what you want to wear! You really won't be out of place even if your clothing is dressier than most. Dinner on the ship is not all THAT casual! I often wear a long cocktail blouse/skirt or a long black skirt with a dressy top. I've never felt out of place.

Mura

What defines "lovely dressy jeans"? There are jeans and there are jeans, but they are all still jeans.

I agree with katz.

I've found the dress code on Oceania very refreshing.

While I've spent most of my cruise history on lines that require ladies and gentlemen to "dress" for dinner, I enjoy the ability on Oceania to put on a blazer, dress slacks, and a long sleeve shirt or on busy days of touring, a pair of good looking Dockers and a good golf shirt. My wife doesn't wear dresses so she is very comfortable in tailored slacks and a nice blouse or golf shirt as well.

However, I've also seen men in jackets and ties and women in beautiful cocktail dresses.

Dress in what is comfortable but leave the jeans for the buffet or meals off the ship. :)

I hear you on the jeans issue :) On our Celebrity cruise they had a no jeans rule too but not one person noticed my partner because his jeans are very dark and not washed out/faded at all. They are also not a tight "jeans" type cut.

We will, however, buy some nice trousers for our cruise. I agree that it is hard to have a rule that allows some jeans as it is so subjective. I too would hate to see scruffy jeans worn in the dining rooms.

So dress jeans are OK at the Terrace Cafe? Great.

I've said this before and I'll say it again ...

Now, if there were holes in them and they were terribly faded ... probably they would have.

Mura

People pay big $$ for those holey faded jeans ..they probably think they are lovely :D

Apologies for this question - I know it's kind of been answered in a round about way by everyone who has previously travelled on Oceania - and that we've been told to wear what we feel comfortable with.:) Does Tony really need to pack a suit/jacket? He enjoys dressing for dinner but would rather not take up precious weight in the case with stuff not needed. (Gives me more room for shoes)!

In the speciality dining venues, would smart trousers and a short sleeved dressy shirt work please? Or would a jacket and long sleeved shirt be more appropriate. Do you need a long sleeved shirt? Similarly main dining room, does anyone wear (good quality) Polo shirts with slacks? I guess this attire would be OK in Terrace Grill?

I should be grateful if JimandStan and other regular posters would give their take on this, we are anxious to get it right first time, we're cruising in May.

I'm OK with the ladies clothing aspect!:)

Thanks, Glenda

Does Tony really need to pack a suit/jacket?

NO

In the speciality dining venues, would smart trousers and a short sleeved dressy shirt work please? YES

Do you need a long sleeved shirt? only if you prefer one

Similarly main dining room, does anyone wear (good quality) Polo shirts with slacks? YES

I guess this attire would be OK in Terrace Grill? YES

Thanks, Glenda

The short answer is you can wear button down shirts or polo shirts for dinner ..most men do

Some will wear jackets/suits but it is a personal preference

Enjoy

Lyn

Apologies for this question - I know it's kind of been answered in a round about way by everyone who has previously travelled on Oceania - and that we've been told to wear what we feel comfortable with.:) Does Tony really need to pack a suit/jacket? He enjoys dressing for dinner but would rather not take up precious weight in the case with stuff not needed. (Gives me more room for shoes)!

In the speciality dining venues, would smart trousers and a short sleeved dressy shirt work please? Or would a jacket and long sleeved shirt be more appropriate. Do you need a long sleeved shirt? Similarly main dining room, does anyone wear (good quality) Polo shirts with slacks? I guess this attire would be OK in Terrace Grill?

I should be grateful if JimandStan and other regular posters would give their take on this, we are anxious to get it right first time, we're cruising in May.

I'm OK with the ladies clothing aspect!:)

Thanks, Glenda

Short sleeved shirts are fine, and depending on the itinerary you may see a great many of them.

Some men associate wearing a jacket with a sense of occasion and if they enjoy wearing one, they should do so.

For others, a jacket is a restrictive corset that has the potential of ruining their vacation, and they will be fine without one.

It is all about personal choice, and you will see both spectrum avidly doing their own thing.

In any case whatever part of the World you are cruising in, you may find long sleeves or a jacket of some kind useful occasionally, as the temperature of the Public rooms can vary.

Layering can make or break your cruise ;)

Thank you all very much for your input.I think we will dress as we would if we were staying at The Wynn in Vegas etc. with a sense of occasion.It is our honeymoon after all and we both enjoy fashion!

Are dressy Guayaberras acceptable for all dining venues?

I have seen men in these shirts as well as the tropical shirts

as long as they have a collar & sleeves I think they will pass

As long as your husband does not wear a leather hat with flowers, stuffed animals attached he will be okay. We had one rather eccentric man who would wear a hot pink polo shirt and the above described hat into the dining room. He was spoken too and the hat finally was not worn into the GDR or specialty restaurants.

The only shirt rule for the MDR for men is that the shirt or polo have a collar. Weather and where you are cruising may dictate short sleeves versus long sleeves and the dining rooms can be cold. We have seen polos, Hawaiian, dress shirts, jackets and suits and all are fine. My husband has never brought a jacket or a tie.

Thanks everyone,

I feel much better now telling my husband he does not have to pack a jacket for evenings.

Saves lots of room which we (I) will need since it is a 36 day cruise. :o

Room for more shoes.

carol

More people will dress well above the dress code than not.

It is the nature of a Regent or Oceaina passenger to be more refined , well mannered and considerate than on the mass market ships.

People seem to dress with personal pride to meet the occasion.

Thanks everyone,

I feel much better now telling my husband he does not have to pack a jacket for evenings.

Saves lots of room which we (I) will need since it is a 36 day cruise. :o

Room for more shoes.

carol

Just be sure that he doesn't go in to dinner wearing a tropical hibiscus behind his ear! Could start all sorts of talk!!!

Okay, new to this site. We are planning a cruise on the Riveria next spring. I've been going thru Oceania's website and their catalog. My understand of the dress code is no shorts are alow in any venue? For like breakfast or lunch? Jeans seem to be a no-no too?

Archived