What is the best or worse thing a cabin neighbor has done?

scomar

Sitting out late one night on our balcony having a nice sambuca we felt a fine spray - looked over to the balcony next door and he was taking a leak (had to be standing on something to get that high). Needless we yelled at him and I think he put it back in mid stream. Never saw him or it again.

Now THAT says pure class. Kinda glad I have an OV on my next cruise.

Worst--balcony door slamming over and over.

A loud fight with all kinds of banging and smashing. Had to call security.

Best--just back from a day of zip lining and cave tubing and aching all over! Walking down the hall I said "Boy, I could use a chiropractor!" The guy behind me, my next door cabin neighbor said, "I'm a chiropractor, I'll give you an adjustment." He came into my cabin and did just that. It was fabulous! (He won the horse race game and I cheered him on.)

Only one time have we had problems on a cruise with a cabin next to us. There were three kids that shared an inside cabin next to ours while their parents had a balcony room across from them. On about the third night (morning actually since it was about 1a) I hear one of the kids, a boy about 16 swearing at his younger sister and brother. Then the mom came and banged on the door and asked what's going on and the kid told her (I don't know what language they spoke) to "Get the 'F" away from his room. She must have had her own key card because she opened the door and the kid started yelling, Get the "F" outta my room, you're a stupid "B##$$!" Then the father comes in and asks what's going on and the sister tells the father what happened. The father yells at her to shut up already with her complaining about the brother. The girl starts crying and the father tells her if she doesn't shut up he's going to hit her himself. :eek: The son says he's tired and when he came back to the cabin she was sitting on his bed and that's why he hit her. The father says to his daughter, "Stay off your brother's bed, why did you sit on his bed?" I'm like so wanting to go over there and just smack this man or say something, but the DH didn't want me to get involved. I have never heard a kid be so disrespectful to his mother or sister and I've never heard of a father letting a brother get away with hitting his sister like that. The father left the room and then the brother hit the sister again because she had told on him. After that I didn't hear anything else. The next night it was more of the same, but just as I was going to call security, I guess the people in the cabin on the other side must have already called because I heard them knock on the door. The kid told them to go away and security demanded he open the door. The father came out from across the hall and told them they had no right to knock on his kid's door. Security said they were getting complaints about the kid hitting his sister and said that one of the parents was going to have to stay in the room with them and send one of the other kids over to the other cabin. The father got really miffed and I don't know what else was said but the mother came over to stay with the younger kids and the son went across to stay with his dad in the other cabin. Then a couple of minutes went by and I hear a slap and the mother yell, "See what problems you make for your brother, you're a little bit##!" After that we never heard another peep from them. They were the most dysfunctional family I've ever come across in my life. Horrible people. The next morning when I left the room the mother came out at the same time and she said to me, "You bi#$%, you complain about my son." I just walked away because I didn't want to get into it with her. I never heard them again and boy am I glad. It was like the older boy was some kind of God to them and he could do no wrong. It was weird! The next day when we disembarked I left the room to go meet the DH and DS for breakfast and I saw them leaving and the brother was punching his sister in the arm. The sister moaned out loud and the father said, "Shut up you cry for nothing!" Then the son sees me and he's like, "What you looking at bit##, F off!" All I can say is I was glad the DH and DS were not with me at the time or that kid would have been toast! This was on an NCL cruise several years ago.

And that boys and girls is how the cycle of domestic violence starts.:mad::(

Hmm....a lot of complaints about smoke. From what I remember, smoking is allowed on balconies on Carnival. I understand people dont like smoke, but the smokers pay for their cabins and pay for that right to smoke. So imo, smokers are doing nothing negative or positive....they are doing what they are allowed to do. I could understand if smoking was banned on balconies, but it isn't.

Only one time have we had problems on a cruise with a cabin next to us. There were three kids that shared an inside cabin next to ours while their parents had a balcony room across from them. On about the third night (morning actually since it was about 1a) I hear one of the kids, a boy about 16 swearing at his younger sister and brother. Then the mom came and banged on the door and asked what's going on and the kid told her (I don't know what language they spoke) to "Get the 'F" away from his room. She must have had her own key card because she opened the door and the kid started yelling, Get the "F" outta my room, you're a stupid "B##$$!" Then the father comes in and asks what's going on and the sister tells the father what happened. The father yells at her to shut up already with her complaining about the brother. The girl starts crying and the father tells her if she doesn't shut up he's going to hit her himself. :eek: The son says he's tired and when he came back to the cabin she was sitting on his bed and that's why he hit her. The father says to his daughter, "Stay off your brother's bed, why did you sit on his bed?" I'm like so wanting to go over there and just smack this man or say something, but the DH didn't want me to get involved. I have never heard a kid be so disrespectful to his mother or sister and I've never heard of a father letting a brother get away with hitting his sister like that. The father left the room and then the brother hit the sister again because she had told on him. After that I didn't hear anything else. The next night it was more of the same, but just as I was going to call security, I guess the people in the cabin on the other side must have already called because I heard them knock on the door. The kid told them to go away and security demanded he open the door. The father came out from across the hall and told them they had no right to knock on his kid's door. Security said they were getting complaints about the kid hitting his sister and said that one of the parents was going to have to stay in the room with them and send one of the other kids over to the other cabin. The father got really miffed and I don't know what else was said but the mother came over to stay with the younger kids and the son went across to stay with his dad in the other cabin. Then a couple of minutes went by and I hear a slap and the mother yell, "See what problems you make for your brother, you're a little bit##!" After that we never heard another peep from them. They were the most dysfunctional family I've ever come across in my life. Horrible people. The next morning when I left the room the mother came out at the same time and she said to me, "You bi#$%, you complain about my son." I just walked away because I didn't want to get into it with her. I never heard them again and boy am I glad. It was like the older boy was some kind of God to them and he could do no wrong. It was weird! The next day when we disembarked I left the room to go meet the DH and DS for breakfast and I saw them leaving and the brother was punching his sister in the arm. The sister moaned out loud and the father said, "Shut up you cry for nothing!" Then the son sees me and he's like, "What you looking at bit##, F off!" All I can say is I was glad the DH and DS were not with me at the time or that kid would have been toast! This was on an NCL cruise several years ago.

I think on the last night of the cruise after everyone put out their luggage and things quieted down I would have gone out into the hallway and obtained their names and address information and written it down. Once I got home I would have gone on line to find out where to report those parents in their own home state. I would have written a detailed report of what took place and ask for Child Protective Services investigate this family. I can only imagine what takes place at home.

The Good: I'm a door decor person. Our cabin neighbors loved my door decor so much, they told the Cruise Director, who sent us a bottle of champagne. Also, they asked me to make a set of door decor for them for their next cruise AND paid me for my work.

The Bad: One cruise, we had a family of five next to us. Mom, Dad, 3 young children aged 3-7. It was a 7 day and they had come from the midwest. The airline lost their luggage. Well, lost the mom and 2 of the kids luggage. Carnival was great and helped clothe them and also did their laundry daily. But for the first two days, the poor mom and two younger children barely left their cabin and the dad was going out with the older child and bringing them back food, snacks, games, books, etc. I felt so bad for them.

The Ugly: We were celebrating our 28th anniversary with a 4-day. The couple next to us were on their Honeymoon. The very first night, they were already fighting. On the 2nd morning, the husband was out on the balcony and we heard; "Oh Crap!" He had accidentally dropped his wedding band overboard. The wife had a fit and locked him out on the balcony saying he did it on purpose. After a few minutes of banging on the door, he picked up a chair and started hitting the door with the chair. We called security. The third night we heard him yelling at her "We've only been married for three days and I'm already regretting it!" Whoa! Here we were, celebrating almost three decades, and these kids couldn't make it through 3 days. We didn't hear any of the "fun stuff" people usually do on their honeymoon. Only yelling, screaming, and fighting. On the last day, during debarkation, we saw that they left separately and were not even speaking. Honestly, it didn't ruin our cruise or anything. It made us feel very sorry for them, and it also made us very grateful that we really did find our soulmates.

And that boys and girls is how the cycle of domestic violence starts.:mad::(

And how the next generation of inmates are created, since they live in a world that has no rules on the boy, he will think he's entitled to do whatever he likes until he grows up and finds out he isn't!!!

Carole

I have learned to try and book a cabin on the end with only one neighbor and now we only stay in the Spa Balcony cabins since they are smoke free.. Never had any problems since we started staying in the Spa cabins. They cost more but worth the money.

The worst we have ever encountered were chain-smokers. They seemed to be on the balcony every time we wanted to enjoy ours. And the smoke would blow on our balcony. They also had a mini-boombox they would play day and night...and talking very loudly.

We had a couple with small children and a baby one year. The baby would wake up several times a night and the parents would let the baby cry...We had to knock on the wall to get their attention so they would quiet the baby..By then the other children were awake and making noise. We didn't get much sleep on that cruise.

Worst for me was 10 yrs. ago on DCL ship. My adult DD and I had a cabin that had a connecting door in it and we heard yelling and angry screaming from next door on day 3. It was really loud and went on for about 10 mins- also sounded like someone was throwing shoes at the wall. Sadly, my sister, her adult DD and her granddaughter were in that room. We finally heard their main door close and went out into hall and my sister & her teenage gr. dtr were waiting for us to go to dinner. You could see they'd both been crying and avoided eye contact with us. I just asked if everything was ok and they nodded, but my neice never showed up at dinner. Next day neice was quiet and didn't spend time with any of us the rest of the cruise and didn't say more than two words for the next 4 days. Lots of tension. Before this the 4 adults had gone on a trip together annually, but afterwards it just wasn't the same and we never had another of our little trips. It was their 1st cruise and my DD said never again ! Found out yrs. later my neice was on an over the counter diet product at the time and it altered her personality so much her family finally had an intervention and she quit taking it. She had blown up and screamed at her mom and her DD because "they'd asked 1 too many times if she was having fun!" Other than that, we've never had a problem on any cruise.

On a brand "X" cruise a few years ago, we were seated with a Canadian couple and a couple from Texas. (Don't worry this is on topic.) During dinner the Canadian man and Texas woman almost came to blows!

Turned out Canadian couple were in the suite next to ours. She got very sick on the cruise and had to be medi-vacced (sp?) to Cozumel. She had won a facial or massage on deck the first day and since she couldn't use it, gave it to me. So, started out worst, became best.

Worst that I can think of were door slammers and the kids in the cabin next to us on Carnival Jubilee (I think) who were throwing each other into the walls (my bed was up against the wall). Called security, no more problems.

DH and I went on a 3 day cruise on Paradise (out of Long Beach) for my birthday in 2008. Our neighbors across the hall and a few doors down (we weren't quite sure exactly where) were super loud in the hallways - early in the morning, late at night, and even mid-afternoon when I tried to take a nap. One morning they decided it would be great fun to march up and down the hallway blowing whistles:mad:.

The last evening of the cruise we were back in the cabin getting my camera so I could take sunset pictures, and we heard them come back. I jokingly said to DH that I should take a picture of those idiots so I can show my co-workers why I'm coming back to work so tired. Well DH grabbed my camera, walked down the hall, and snapped a picture as he walked past their open door. They invited him in to take another picture, which he did (below).

Turns out they were a bunch of military buddies on board for their friend's batchelor party. DH went up, bought a bucket of beers, and went back down to their cabin (although by this point they were hanging out in the hallway). He gave them the beers, and asked them to please take their partying out into the public areas of the ship - on deck, a lounge, the dance club - somewhere other than the hallway and their cabin, since at that very moment there could be people trying to take a nap or whatever. I added that whichever one of them had been blowing that f&*%$@^ whistle in the hall did NOT get a beer! Turned out they all had one.:eek:

Anyway, they were really appologetic, appreciative of the beer, and we didn't hear another peep out of them. Wish we had done the beer thing the first night, instead of the last!

1808911934_232323232fp53384_nu3243_6_72_WSNRCG3237795_4697nu0mrj.jpg.41fe03b37d8c0888e20e076a0b8e5a20.jpg

We have been very lucky. Only time we had noisy neighbors was actually across the hall. About 10 family members spread out in several interiors. They used the 4-5 year old as an alarm clock. He would go out (alone) in the hall & bang on each of the cabins every morning.

A lot of cruisers were picking up last minute items in the little liquor store at the terminal in Grand Cayman & there was a kid in the store blowing a whistle nonstop. Everyone in line was commenting about glad that wasn't their kid. Got back to our cabin & heard the same noise coming down the hall a few minutes later. Turned out the whistle kid was our noisy neighbor... After about 30 minutes of hearing it in our cabin, our future son-in-law opened the door & yelled Shut Up! Never heard the whistle again!!

Soooo... I should not, smoke cigarettes, cigars or pot, talk loudly, play music loudly, hit my wife, lock my wife on the balcony, pee off the balcony, treat one family member like a god while treating the other like s**t, slam doors, make loud noises in the hallways including whistles, sing opera music all night or play bag pipes. Well hell there goes all my fun on this cruise;) Wow and not one mention of a chair hog! Thanks for all the replies it was a most interesting read. Put all that together and you could have one hell of a movie going. The Cursed Cruise. I hope that "Mr Rodgers" is going to be my neighbor:D

Soooo... I should not, smoke cigarettes, cigars or pot, talk loudly, play music loudly, hit my wife, lock my wife on the balcony, pee off the balcony, treat one family member like a god while treating the other like s**t, slam doors, make loud noises in the hallways including whistles, sing opera music all night or play bag pipes. Well hell there goes all my fun on this cruise;) Wow and not one mention of a chair hog! Thanks for all the replies it was a most interesting read. Put all that together and you could have one hell of a movie going. The Cursed Cruise. I hope that "Mr Rodgers" is going to be my neighbor:D

icon14.gif Like

I'm sure there could be a chair hog, it would be the lead roll :p!

We have been pretty lucky with our neighbors. Most of the time we don't see or hear them.

However, on one cruise the family had a little boy about 5. He spent every moment the family was in the cabin on the balcony. Not normally a problem. Except that every time DH and I were on our balcony he would climb on the little table and peer around the divider and talk to us. NON STOP talk and questions. I was afraid he was going to fall off the balcony.

His parents were really nice but just a little naive about the safety issue. They would always tell him to, "leave the nice people alone" but they never made him leave us alone.

The dad was a chain smoker. I appreciated the fact that he asked us if it bothered us. I don't like smoke, and I told him it was not too much of a bother. So he said, "I will watch the wind and breeze and if it blows your way I will put it out." I thanked him and sure enough he followed through on his word. He did not have to and I let him know how much I appreciated his doing what he did.

I just wish he could have got his kid to quit staring at Dh and I and asking us all those questions. We left our kids at home and were looking forward to a child free week, but that kid had different plans for us. It got to be a game with DH and I to see if we could sneak out to the balcony without being heard-- nope did not happen once. Every time we were out if the kid was not already out he came out within a minute or less.

Archived