What is the best or worse thing a cabin neighbor has done?

scomar

Let me start by saying, I don't mind the use of medical marijuana or what have you. It doesn't bother me in the least, it's not for me, believe me those days are long gone, but I don't care if others partake in it. HOWEVER... On our California Riviera a.k.a "Swine Flu" cruise on the Star Princess, 10 day out of SF, our neighbors had 2 balcony rooms, it was our neighbor who was an obnoxious piece of work, and then next to him was his elderly parents who had their balcony divider opened up. Not only was he out there HOURS on end, smoking the harshest scented marijuana to the point that it seeped into our room, we couldn't use the balcony while he was out there because it literally burned your eyes and throat! BUT, he was also obnoxious beyond belief! I don't know if there was something mentally wrong with him but OMG! He was yelling out the F bomb every open opportunity he had, I mean really actually yelling obscenities! I don't have virgin ears, and have known to have the mouth of a sailor at times, but this guy was just plain obnoxious. We would check to make sure he wasn't out there before we'd go out, which is sad because we're pretty well known for spending hours out there.

On my very first cruise (with my Mom and sister) some people were in the hall yelling and screaming and carrying on in the middle of the night. So my 5 ft tall 60 something year old mother, opens up the doors and yells at them "DO YOU MIND?? People are TRYING to sleep!!"

hahaha... they apologized and headed to their cabins!!!

Only one time have we had problems on a cruise with a cabin next to us. There were three kids that shared an inside cabin next to ours while their parents had a balcony room across from them. On about the third night (morning actually since it was about 1a) I hear one of the kids, a boy about 16 swearing at his younger sister and brother. Then the mom came and banged on the door and asked what's going on and the kid told her (I don't know what language they spoke) to "Get the 'F" away from his room. She must have had her own key card because she opened the door and the kid started yelling, Get the "F" outta my room, you're a stupid "B##$$!" Then the father comes in and asks what's going on and the sister tells the father what happened. The father yells at her to shut up already with her complaining about the brother. The girl starts crying and the father tells her if she doesn't shut up he's going to hit her himself. :eek: The son says he's tired and when he came back to the cabin she was sitting on his bed and that's why he hit her. The father says to his daughter, "Stay off your brother's bed, why did you sit on his bed?" I'm like so wanting to go over there and just smack this man or say something, but the DH didn't want me to get involved. I have never heard a kid be so disrespectful to his mother or sister and I've never heard of a father letting a brother get away with hitting his sister like that. The father left the room and then the brother hit the sister again because she had told on him. After that I didn't hear anything else. The next night it was more of the same, but just as I was going to call security, I guess the people in the cabin on the other side must have already called because I heard them knock on the door. The kid told them to go away and security demanded he open the door. The father came out from across the hall and told them they had no right to knock on his kid's door. Security said they were getting complaints about the kid hitting his sister and said that one of the parents was going to have to stay in the room with them and send one of the other kids over to the other cabin. The father got really miffed and I don't know what else was said but the mother came over to stay with the younger kids and the son went across to stay with his dad in the other cabin. Then a couple of minutes went by and I hear a slap and the mother yell, "See what problems you make for your brother, you're a little bit##!" After that we never heard another peep from them. They were the most dysfunctional family I've ever come across in my life. Horrible people. The next morning when I left the room the mother came out at the same time and she said to me, "You bi#$%, you complain about my son." I just walked away because I didn't want to get into it with her. I never heard them again and boy am I glad. It was like the older boy was some kind of God to them and he could do no wrong. It was weird! The next day when we disembarked I left the room to go meet the DH and DS for breakfast and I saw them leaving and the brother was punching his sister in the arm. The sister moaned out loud and the father said, "Shut up you cry for nothing!" Then the son sees me and he's like, "What you looking at bit##, F off!" All I can say is I was glad the DH and DS were not with me at the time or that kid would have been toast! This was on an NCL cruise several years ago.

Never had an issue with a occupant next door until our last cruise. These folks left the balcony light on every night. We like to sleep with just the shers so that we are awakened by natural sunlight. We tried asking the room steward to shut the light out - he did but when we would come ack in the late evening low and behold it was on again. We tried calling guest services, we went to guest services.... all in vain. We were told we will leave a note, we will call, its too late to disturb the guest, until there were only two nights left. Didn't ruin the cruise, but sure wish we could have enjoyed daybreak...........

Note to Carnival - put some additional signage telling folks to be considerate of their neighbors. If you can do it regarding the balcony door and A/C - I think you can add a line or two.

Only one time have we had problems on a cruise with a cabin next to us. There were three kids that shared an inside cabin next to ours while their parents had a balcony room across from them. On about the third night (morning actually since it was about 1a) I hear one of the kids, a boy about 16 swearing at his younger sister and brother. Then the mom came and banged on the door and asked what's going on and the kid told her (I don't know what language they spoke) to "Get the 'F" away from his room. She must have had her own key card because she opened the door and the kid started yelling, Get the "F" outta my room, you're a stupid "B##$$!" Then the father comes in and asks what's going on and the sister tells the father what happened. The father yells at her to shut up already with her complaining about the brother. The girl starts crying and the father tells her if she doesn't shut up he's going to hit her himself. :eek: The son says he's tired and when he came back to the cabin she was sitting on his bed and that's why he hit her. The father says to his daughter, "Stay off your brother's bed, why did you sit on his bed?" I'm like so wanting to go over there and just smack this man or say something, but the DH didn't want me to get involved. I have never heard a kid be so disrespectful to his mother or sister and I've never heard of a father letting a brother get away with hitting his sister like that. The father left the room and then the brother hit the sister again because she had told on him. After that I didn't hear anything else. The next night it was more of the same, but just as I was going to call security, I guess the people in the cabin on the other side must have already called because I heard them knock on the door. The kid told them to go away and security demanded he open the door. The father came out from across the hall and told them they had no right to knock on his kid's door. Security said they were getting complaints about the kid hitting his sister and said that one of the parents was going to have to stay in the room with them and send one of the other kids over to the other cabin. The father got really miffed and I don't know what else was said but the mother came over to stay with the younger kids and the son went across to stay with his dad in the other cabin. Then a couple of minutes went by and I hear a slap and the mother yell, "See what problems you make for your brother, you're a little bit##!" After that we never heard another peep from them. They were the most dysfunctional family I've ever come across in my life. Horrible people. The next morning when I left the room the mother came out at the same time and she said to me, "You bi#$%, you complain about my son." I just walked away because I didn't want to get into it with her. I never heard them again and boy am I glad. It was like the older boy was some kind of God to them and he could do no wrong. It was weird! The next day when we disembarked I left the room to go meet the DH and DS for breakfast and I saw them leaving and the brother was punching his sister in the arm. The sister moaned out loud and the father said, "Shut up you cry for nothing!" Then the son sees me and he's like, "What you looking at bit##, F off!" All I can say is I was glad the DH and DS were not with me at the time or that kid would have been toast! This was on an NCL cruise several years ago.

This is a terribly sad, disturbing story. that poor girl will be messed up for life and the brother will be in jail someday.

Our last cruise, a 17 day Hawaii Circle there was a couple across the hall from us and both of them used motorized scooters.

Not a problem except they left them plugged in in the hallway and the longer the cruise the closer they left the scooters outside our door. We had to literally step over them to get out of our cabin.

By the end of the cruise we were ready to take the keys out and never been seen again.

Rockfan2

Never had an issue with a occupant next door until our last cruise. These folks left the balcony light on every night. We like to sleep with just the shers so that we are awakened by natural sunlight. We tried asking the room steward to shut the light out - he did but when we would come ack in the late evening low and behold it was on again. We tried calling guest services, we went to guest services.... all in vain. We were told we will leave a note, we will call, its too late to disturb the guest, until there were only two nights left. Didn't ruin the cruise, but sure wish we could have enjoyed daybreak............

:eek:

Why didn't you knock on their door and asked them yourself (or slipped a note under the door) ?

:confused::confused::confused:

This is a terribly sad, disturbing story. that poor girl will be messed up for life and the brother will be in jail someday.

I agree. None of those kids have half a chance with parents like that. Feel the worst for that poor girl, even the Mom scapegoats her. I wonder if she allows it because it would be her otherwise.

I agree. None of those kids have half a chance with parents like that. Feel the worst for that poor girl, even the Mom scapegoats her. I wonder if she allows it because it would be her otherwise.

A very sad story. I feel for the girl.

On another note, if my son talked to me like that, overboard he would go ;)

One cruise we had two sisters next to us who were out to have a good time. Later in the week they were fighting as one sister was spending a lot of time in the cabin with her new male friends (note the use of the plural) and the other sister was not happy. The funny part, they were both probably 60 or 70 years old!

Our early morning peace and quiet, looking at the beautiful Alaskan scenery was often interrupted by our neighbor making LOUD bodily sounds....which often caused my DH & DS to begin laughing hysterically. :eek: The guy never got the hint or understood why they were laughing.:rolleyes:

On our Disney cruise, our verandah room was across from the public laundry. People would gather in the hallway at all hours....often sitting on the floor blocking our door. The worst was when the kids would bang on our door while the parents waited their turn. BUT, our room always had a fresh mountain spring smell. ;) After a couple days, we would stuff towels under the door to help block the noise.

I guess I've been really lucky. The only thing I've been bothered by is people leaving their lights on 24/7.

One of my favorite things is sitting on the balcony at night, with no lights but the stars, listening to the lap of the waves.

Really not as relaxing when porch lights are on all over.

And it wouldn't upset me if people were using the balconies, but they were not.

I think lots of people use it as a night light, but the bathroom light works just as well AND it doesn't bug others :-)

Carole

On our honeymoon cruise, we were a few doors down from a family that used the hallway as an extension of thier cabin. They used the hall to let their two boys, around 4 and 6, play. Hide and seek and Tag were their games of choice and they would use the elevator bank area as thier home base. They played this game often, sometimes late into the night with screeching, yelling and running back and forth while the parents just sat in the room totally oblivious to all of the noise. I went out once and very kindly asked them to keep it down a little. The parents apparently took offence because after that, we had late night hang-up calls and our room service tags taken from our door. I cannot prove it was them doing it but we certainly had no problems prior to that. It was such a shame that these parents did not see how thier children's behavoir was affecting some of the other passengers. :confused:

This wasn't exactly a cabin neighbor, but we were on our balcony and a man in a cabin higher up was shouting. It seems his small child locked him out on the balcony and wouldn't open the door again! So we had to call and they sent someone to our cabin to shout to him and find out what his cabin number was (I don't know why they didn't ask us to ask) and go and let him in. People are always worried their children will go off the balcony, but never think about getting locked out on it by their children.

Sitting out late one night on our balcony having a nice sambuca we felt a fine spray - looked over to the balcony next door and he was taking a leak (had to be standing on something to get that high). Needless we yelled at him and I think he put it back in mid stream. Never saw him or it again.

Archived