Seattle transportation assistance

ninniedebbie

Thanks to the airline for changing our flight we now have very little time from when we dock to when we fly out. I need fast and realible transportation from peir 91 to SEA. We would like to at least be able to go by the Space Needle if it is not to far out of the way. I have found an agency that does private tours and we'd get a towncar rather than a taxi. Does anyone know about Seattle Towncar and Limo Service. I've also seen them refer to themselves as Onyx and Uptown Transit. We should be able to debark by 8:30-9:00 and our flight is at 1:00. Does not allow much time. Other suggestions are greatly appreciated. There are 2 of us and we will not have an excessive amount of luggage.

Wait- you are tight for time, but want to swing by the Space Needle?????

First, I would call the airline and see if a better flight schedule can be arranged, as the new one doesn't work. If you convince them it is a tight pinch, they should give you some other options at no cost to change. BUT- 1pm flight gives you plenty of time for a "swing by".

Second, AlreadyThere (do an internet search) is a popular town car company, if you read down the board. If you think you have the time, ask them for the "swing by" option.

OK. Again, a 1pm flight is fine. Worst case is you are first off the ship around 8:30 - and that is a true worst case - you still have plenty of time for a 1pm flight, with a "swing by". Just don't surprise the driver with this request. Personally, I would schedule the pick up for 8 am, and you will have plenty of time to stop by the Needle, if you arrange it in advance.

The Space Needle dominates the Seattle sky line. Pics are better from a far. If you are talking about getting out, walking around, maybe touring the Needle, that is an entirely different issue.

So is Allreadythere the best way to get from SEA to NCL's dock? have 4 adults in our group - about 2-3 bags total.

If you're going directly from Seatac to the pier, you have a few options. I believe NCL is at pier 66, which is downtown.

Yellow Cab and Stila Towncar are the 2 companies AT the airport. A taxi will cost about $45. A towncar is only a few bucks more and will pick you up at the curb as opposed to walking to the taxi line in the parking garage.

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Taxis-and-Limos.aspx

There are also shuttles, Seattle Shuttle and Shuttle Express but they run about $20-$25 pp

Cheapest oiption is Light Rail that runs from SeaTac to Westlake Center downtown. $2.75 and takes 40 minutes. From Westlake you would take a cab $10 or walk 12-15 blocks.

• 4 weeks later...
OK. Again, a 1pm flight is fine. Worst case is you are first off the ship around 8:30 - and that is a true worst case -

I've never gone out or into Seattle before - what do you think is a realistic time you'd be able to start disembarking, if the ship is scheduled to arrive at 7 and you do the self-disembarkation? Is 8am not realistic to be getting off by?

The ship will likely arrive well before 7:00. In our experience sailing from Seattle 8:00 is a reasonable time to expect to be disembarking.

Well, that would be good news for us as we're doing a trip in June, and taking Amtrak to Seattle just for fun. The departing train home only has one trip per day - leaving at 9:45am :eek: I know it could be a stretch, but it's only 3-4 miles away and they don't require you to be there so early like at airports. But if something goes awry and we miss it, we'll just get on the next available train and spend an extra day or two in Seattle :cool:

Well, that would be good news for us as we're doing a trip in June, and taking Amtrak to Seattle just for fun. The departing train home only has one trip per day - leaving at 9:45am :eek: I know it could be a stretch, but it's only 3-4 miles away and they don't require you to be there so early like at airports. But if something goes awry and we miss it, we'll just get on the next available train and spend an extra day or two in Seattle :cool:

That will probably work if you are booked in coach. However, the sleepers consistently sell out on the Coast Starlight, particularly in the summer and the chances of getting sleeping accommodations on the next day's train are pretty slim. Heck, that time of year, coach can sell out. Plus there would be no refund of your fare for the missed train. And, on the off chance sleeping accommodations are available, they'd likely be "high bucket" and pretty expensive. Think airline "walk up" fares.

Also, while there is not the rigamarole at the airports, if your taxi pulls up to the station at 9:40, you could be staring at the back of the train. You need time to get through the station and out to the platform. With that said, if you got the the station by 9:30, you'd certainly get on (but not check bags, 30 minute cutoff for baggage check).

Thanks for the info! Yes, we're booked coach, and are planning on not checking luggage. It's less than a day's travel by train. I wasn't sure if they'd allow us to rebook for a missed train without fees, or if we'd just have to do a new reservation. But as it was only $100 per person for the return leg it's not a big loss to take if we miss it. Heck, push comes to shove we can just rent a car a drive home too! ;)

As it's Sunday morning when we disembark, I'm guessing the cab ride won't take a long time from the pier, so I'm sure we'll be fine.

All things considered, you'll most likely make it, and if you don't, it isn't as big of a deal in coach because in all likelihood they'll have at least a couple of coach seats available.

Amtrak is pretty loose about rebooking as long you cancel before departure. So if the ship docks or clears late and you KNOW you aren't going to make it, call Amtrak. The situation basically changes at 9:45 when the train pulls out. Before then, you can get your ticket reissued and the entire cost of your ticket will apply to the new one with no change fees (although ticket itself may be somewhat more because it might be in higher yield management bucket). Once the train physically departs, your ticket becomes worthless, at least according to the rules.

If the ship docks and clears on time, you'll make it with lots of time to spare. If you are one of the early departures from the ship, you'd probably be at the station by 8:30 or so.

Archived