Call from Celebrity

grandgeezer

Celebrity could end all this ill will by implementing an "after final payment" change fee.

Rules would be: no refunds of your final payment...if you want to change and the cabin you are changing to is offered for less than or equal to your final payment, you pay the change fee and you can move to the new cabin with no refunds and no extra OBC's.

If the cabin you want costs more than your final payment, you also will pay the change fee plus the difference between what you paid and the new cabin price.

It's very simple and fair.

Good idea

I am kinda surprised that Celebrity would not honor a cabin change/upgrade to anyone who has already paid the same/higher price than currently advertised. Do they have to? No. Should they consider the PR perspective/benefits? Yes. Maybe they have and decided it is not worth the effort.

If I had paid, for example, $3000.00 for a CC (C3) cabin and then a CC (C2) or higher comes up for $3000.00 or less, I see no reason why Celebrity could not make a cabin swap. I would not suggest Celebrity refund any difference in price, but swapping seems like a fair deal and a good PR move.

One would have to assume that in doing the above, they must then assume/realize/know that the newly traded in cabin, in my example CC (C3) will fetch less than the price they are asking for the CC (C2) cabin or above, thus Celebrity would be taking a monetary reduction and incurring a cost to make the swap in cabins.

I still think Celebrity might consider this in the following context:

1) make this a Captain's Club Elite perk.

2) allow only one swap per cruise/reservation (or some fair limitation) as there is a cost to paperwork/paper trail and some might want to abuse this perk if offered.

I would like to think Celebrity would work with me if this situation ever arised as I AM A LOYAL CRUISER WITH CELEBRITY and just as many others, spend lots of money with them both on the cruise fare and on board. Secondly, I recommend Celebrity to anyone asking me for a recommendation. Thus, small things like the above upgrade would go a long way in my mind to booking early with Celebrity and booking often, especially if as a Captain's Club perk.

Regarding the argument that it doesn't cost them any more money to upgrade you, you forget that if they move you from a balcony to an AQ, that represents a cabin they will now have to sell for the going price of a balcony, not the going price of an AQ. Say you paid $1000 for the balcony, and the AQ were going for $1300 at the time. Now, because of the NBO special, AQ is going for $1000 and the balcony for $700. If you stay in your balcony, they get $1000 from you and $1000 from someone who books the AQ. If they move you, they get $1000 from you and only $700 from someone who books the balcony cabin you vacated.

Sometimes you really do have to 'do the math'! Once you do it's clear why they handle these issues in such an opaque manner. They are constantly juggling the bottom line.

Celebrity could end all this ill will by implementing an "after final payment" change fee.

Rules would be: no refunds of your final payment...if you want to change and the cabin you are changing to is offered for less than or equal to your final payment, you pay the change fee and you can move to the new cabin with no refunds and no extra OBC's.

If the cabin you want costs more than your final payment, you also will pay the change fee plus the difference between what you paid and the new cabin price.

But is it good math for the cruise lines?

Maybe the resultant good will and absence of ill will would be worth it. Maybe not.

Last night we watched a program, Cruise Inc., made is '09. It looked at the bottom line managment the cruise lines have to do to be successful business models.

It wasn't a huge expose, after the education I have received here at CC I pretty much knew the stuff they covered. But it was interesting to hear how it all relates to the big picture for the cruise lines.

The ship used in the program was the Norwegian Pearl, but it was clear that they were looking at models that apply across the industry.

We saw it on Netflix instant queue, but it's available online at hulu, no charge.

It was interesting.

When my kids used to say "it isn't fair" I would say, "you are right life isn't fair, so lets move on." Seems to me we spend too much time looking at what others have and not being content with what we have.

Just a thought - if people didn't feel the need to talk about the fact that they were given special treatment by Celebrity, no one would ever know. Then we wouldn't have situations like this. It is one thing to inform others about a new policy that affects everyone, but I think some people take great pride in getting something other people can't have and feel the need to tell the world. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

Totally agree with this. Also, sometimes I wonder if people actually are getting the upgrade/refund etc. that they say they got! :rolleyes:

Just a thought - if people didn't feel the need to talk about the fact that they were given special treatment by Celebrity, no one would ever know. Then we wouldn't have situations like this. It is one thing to inform others about a new policy that affects everyone, but I think some people take great pride in getting something other people can't have and feel the need to tell the world. Of course, this is just my humble opinion.

I agree.

This ends right now...

I thought the objective of this board was to ask questions, give advise and tell about experiences bad as well as good. I guess I was wrong. The original post was just letting people know that I was not happy with my experience with Celebrity. I didn't expect to get villified or belittled over something I beleive strong in. I don't have to justify myself to you or anybody else. Read it and do what you want just don't get on your high horse and critisize me. You weren't privy to any of the conversations so you have no idea how high and mighty they were about the situation. They made their choice and I made mine so just let it die.

We've been on seven X cruises with 0 complaints over the 90 total days at sea, so we fully expect the 26 days starting next month will be the same.

If I was really vengeful, besides canceling the $1100 in tours, I'd cancel the $596 in tips but I would never do that as the crew service and kindness is one of the main reason we cruise to begin with.

It can't end yet, I just got to the party.

Just curious, why did you not mention to celebrity that you knew of others on the cc boards that had received what you wanted ?

I believe that may have added some public pressure to their decision making.

Policies are inconsistent.

There's always the fine print.

Go forward with a positive attitude.

I'd take any extras Celebrity wanted to offer me.

After all, your cabin steward might be delighted to get the bottle of wine.

You'll have a memorable cruise inspite of the benefits to the last minute bookings. You did get to plan longer for the cruise and locked in the cost of air arrangements. We find it's fun to plan our excursions in ports and that takes time.

I can understand the frustration of the OP and find the thread informative.

Thank you to all for posting.

Maris

Sometimes it does get a bit too personal, Grandgeezer. That's just the way it is with the somewhat anonymous nature of internet forums and such. I've been on the receiving end of the odd nasty and uncalled-for comment but I try not to let it get under my admittedly thin skin.

I think sometimes we forget how wonderful cruise vacations truly are. 'I've never had a hotel allow me to specify the actual room; the best we can hope for is a general view (city/ocean) or smoking/non-smoking.

And wow let's not get too close to the rampant insanity that constitutes airline bookings. Imagine how fast the cruise industry would be reduced if they wanted 100% payment upfront a year out. Omg doesn't begin to cover the emotions attached to that possibility.

In a world filled with a whole lot of truly undeserving substandard and/or uncaring service providers I can safely state that cruising is an area where they do seem to appreciate the business.

Once we book our stateroom and agree on price with our fabulous travel agent we honor our part of the deal. In other words, we agree to pay the price they offered. Their end of the deal is to make sure that Celebrity honors the Contract and has our room ready for us and that they take us more or less along the route intended and keep us safe. If somebody else comes along and scores a better deal because the cruise operator needed to fill a few staterooms, well I'm happy for them. And then I listen and learn so that our next cruise budget might reap the benefit. And that's it. I just don't care what the folks next door to us paid. A deal is a deal. If the contract stated that they would match any and all special offers or rate reductions I would hold them to that fact, but that's not the deal we signed and agreed to.

I should probably apologize to Celebrity, though. On our most recent happy voyage a woman in the elevator was proudly and loudly boasting that she paid $____ for the trip. When she deliberately looked around to see who was summarily impressed, I politely informed her that Celebrity literally got us at the last minute on the ship in a Suite (!) for $300 each.Two decks later she stormed off in search of Guest Relations, so I can just imagine what went down after that....but it probably wasn't her cruise fare...:-)

Oh, and in case you're wondering I made up the $300 part just to spool her up. And the Suite. We were actually sailing in a C3 Guaranty and we paid a whole lot more than that.

Happy Cruising,

Alan (and Teresa)

PS...our AQ stateroom just had a minor reduction last week. Don't care. We got a good deal to begin with.

I agree. Sharing information regarding your Celebrity onboard experience is one thing, but specifically posting price changes and OBC details is IMHO, bad taste. And it just stirs the pot for those passengers that may feel that their particular price paid "wasn't good enough".

Just keep this information to yourselves.

There are many threads and post about people who have gotten a upgrade. If you read them closely, most have paid for their upgrade and say that they were upgraded but don't say free.

I agree. Sharing information regarding your Celebrity onboard experience is one thing, but specifically posting price changes and OBC details is IMHO, bad taste. And it just stirs the pot for those passengers that may feel that their particular price paid "wasn't good enough".

Just keep this information to yourselves.

The difference of opinion here is interesting. While I agree that you can't be upset for not being unable to renegotiate an agreement. I don't see the harm in trying. I believe I would have tried as well.

As far as finding out what others paid. I am of the opinion that knowledge is power. It doesn't hurt anyone to know. If it is truth or not is another subject. These forums are open (to a point) and any attempt to shut down someones input (just because you don't agree with it) is censorship.

The difference of opinion here is interesting. While I agree that you can't be upset for not being unable to renegotiate an agreement. I don't see the harm in trying. I believe I would have tried as well.

As far as finding out what others paid. I am of the opinion that knowledge is power. It doesn't hurt anyone to know. If it is truth or not is another subject. These forums are open (to a point) and any attempt to shut down someones input (just because you don't agree with it) is censorship.

Censorship isn't the issue. And negotiating certainly be done. My personal objection are those that complain when they don't get their way. Or have to boast when they do.

Why do people feel this need to post all this information?

Why do people feel this need to post all this information?

Isn't that the whole point of these boards? I am more interested in someone's experience with customer service than seeing a picture of someone else's soup, but don't suggest that person should not post it. Maybe you want to see the soup. ;)

This ends right now...

I thought the objective of this board was to ask questions, give advise and tell about experiences bad as well as good. I guess I was wrong. The original post was just letting people know that I was not happy with my experience with Celebrity. I didn't expect to get villified or belittled over something I beleive strong in. I don't have to justify myself to you or anybody else. Read it and do what you want just don't get on your high horse and critisize me. You weren't privy to any of the conversations so you have no idea how high and mighty they were about the situation. They made their choice and I made mine so just let it die.

We've been on seven X cruises with 0 complaints over the 90 total days at sea, so we fully expect the 26 days starting next month will be the same.

If I was really vengeful, besides canceling the $1100 in tours, I'd cancel the $596 in tips but I would never do that as the crew service and kindness is one of the main reason we cruise to begin with.

I just want to say I agree with most of what you posted here. The lack of empathy on these boards is really frustrating sometimes.

I think that is a wonderful idea! It would end the hard feelings and stop the flaming by people who do not agree with the poster. We were "upgraded" on the Connie on one of our transatlantics. Went from a midship balcony to a CC class. It all came with our vouchers right before the cruise as we had no idea they were going to do this. The problem was was that it was an obstructed view with a window washing apparatus in the way.:( To add insult to injury, there was a suite next door with a big time cigar smoker always out on his balcony puffing away day and night. This was before the smoking policy change. So not all "free" upgrades are worth it. At least they made a peace offering albeit not to the OP's satisfaction.

I don't get it ! Celebrity offered grandgeezer the ability to upgrade to AQ after final payment. They even offered him wine and an OBC as a kind gesture.

They wanted a few hundred dollars which approximates the prepaid gratuities. He had a veranda which doesn't require prepaid gratuities, AQ does!

I don't get why he is so angry.

What am I missing?

I don't get it ! Celebrity offered grandgeezer the ability to upgrade to AQ after final payment. They even offered him wine and an OBC as a kind gesture.

They wanted a few hundred dollars which approximates the prepaid gratuities. He had a veranda which doesn't require prepaid gratuities, AQ does!

What am I missing?

No, aqua does NOT require prepaid gratuities.

What am I missing?

I am quite sure this was not for prepaid gratuities, as we were in a similar situation and we had already prepaid gratuities for the CC cabin.

What I notice on this thread, same as on a lot of others before, is that people jump in and react without having really read carefully what has been going on or without bothering to get the point. It seems a sport to just criticize and blame OP without really trying to understand the issue.

(sorry Kevznworld - this is not directed at you, but other posters here)

Let's get a few things straight. There was no extra obc for the Aqua class cabin, so it would have cost me $300. It wasn't that important, I just wanted to get the best deal possible. Their policy of no upgrades after final payment seems to be selectively enforced according to the people on this web site who says they got it.

I had no interest in half the $200 in percs, just the obc.

The departure from Celebrity will have a minimum effect on me. Contrary to popular opinion there are other cruiselines out there besides Celebrity. We like Holland America and Princess also. In our humble opinion, the only big plus for X is the Elite percs. That's why only about 1/3 of our cruises have been with Celebrity.

They have the right to deny me an upgrade and I have the right not to book with them. As far as their business practice goes, how is it more cost effective to give someone $200 in percs when an upgrade cost them $0?

As far as paying the $150 extra for the Aqua class I don't have to explain my reasons for spending my money.

As far as leaving Celebrity, they had an option to keep us for free but chose to spend $200 to keep us, with half of it worthless in our eyes.

We will have a wonderful cruise as we think highly of the food, service an accomodations we have enjoyed in the past. Just, in the future, we will have wonderful cruises with their competitors.

I think the point you are missing is that Celebrity WILL upgrade you after final payment, but not when the upgraded category price is offered for "new bookings" only. There in lies the problem. If it was just a simple price drop (which does happen, happened for us last year on Eclipse, and we upgraded from a 1A to a Concierge Class), you would be entitled to it. But when you see a price and it's for new bookings only, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I know it sucks when they offer those "new bookings only" promos, but it's a different scenario than the one you're painting.

Personally, for $150/pp to move to AQ for a B2B sailing that included a TA, I would have grabbed it.

Jo-Ann

I think the point you are missing is that Celebrity WILL upgrade you after final payment, but not when the upgraded category price is offered for "new bookings" only. There in lies the problem. If it was just a simple price drop (which does happen, happened for us last year on Eclipse, and we upgraded from a 1A to a Concierge Class), you would be entitled to it. But when you see a price and it's for new bookings only, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I know it sucks when they offer those "new bookings only" promos, but it's a different scenario than the one you're painting.

Personally, for $150/pp to move to AQ for a B2B sailing that included a TA, I would have grabbed it.

Jo-Ann

No the point here is that X will only consider an upgrade if there is a price difference that can be invoiced. People that had lower priced cabins on exactly same cruise as we could upgrade to a Special Aqua offer after final payment. However those that had paid higher prices for CC, could not, even if no refund or OBC was requested. Apparently an upgrade only works if additional $$ can be charged. Therefore those that booked at higher rates are being "punished".

Do you honestly believe that every person on every cruise should be treated exactly the same and receive the same price? Do you "really" know the details of what everyone on your cruise has received and what their exact circumstances were?

Do you think everyone on the airplane you fly on pays the same price? Do you think everyone in the hotel you stay in pays the same price? Do you think they charge the same price for the same cabin on each of the Solstice Class ships regardless of the date the ship sails, even if it is the same itinerary? Do you think there is any advantage to booking your cruise early? Will you gladly give up a cabin that you may have carefully chosen even if you end up with one that's not very desirable? If you wait until later and get a "new booking only" rate will you be offended if you have to pay more for your last minute airfare?

It seems to me that Celebrity has gone beyond what they even should by offering you what they did and you are still not happy. You make it sound like some kind of conspiracy. Guess what...it's just a business policy that you don't like.

Well said. Agreed what you said wholeheartly

Ricky

I read CC to find information about cruising. And I often provide information to others.

As to this situation and others like, I have learned even more, and I am not picking on the OP specifically.

The cruiselines, like many other business have to deal with all kinds of customers.

* Some of those that see a price, pay and move on. Some that do not like the price or service and pass on it.

*Some pay the price, but always try to get a deal if they can.

* Some pay the price, but then want to get more. They will escalate to supervisors. They will threaten to go elsewhere. They will escalate to the CEO. They will write their newspaper. As a result of some demanding more, and want everything to be fair, the rest of us often suffer - via new policies, less than happy customer service people after being beat up, etc. etc.

A few years ago, Sprint made a big deal by telling a small group of customers they were no longer welcome due to their constant hassling of customer service. There is a couple out there from Ohio that has been banned from a number of cruiselines. The list goes on.

Just saying.

What I have picked up so far recently in regard to promotions only for new bookings only and/or after final payment and similar threads, is that it looks like that Celebrity is trying to be consistent of enforcing this policy.

So it seems there will be a transition period where Pax will experience that they will not stray from this policy, hence they only wanted to appaise OP by offering other perks.

The irony is that the OP is complaining that it is likely that in the past Celebrity was not consistent with this policy, but now that they are and he is the "victim" of that, the OP is displeased:confused:

I might be wrong, but that is to me the logical take on this.

Archived