Elite Cocktail Hour - Tip at Beginning or End of Cruise?

mdv31616

We are new to Elite but have attended the cocktail hour before as guests. We are on the Connie 14 nt in April and plan on going to happy hour. Do you think it is best to tip the bartenders/wait staff at the beginning of the cruise - at the end - or both?

I tipped at the end of the week on Millennium last month, but either way is fine. A good ballpark is about $1 per/drink - but there is no right or wrong amount. We also gave a bit to the server who passed around the bites of food. If there are lots of Elites, and therefore lots of servers it is probably easier to tip as service is rendered - but if the event is held in Michael's Club it is easy to get to know the servers over the course of the cruise and tip them at the end.

So what do you consider a decent tip each night?

I tip on the last night of the cruise. $10 to $20 depending on the length of cruise. All the tips are saved until the end of cruise and then split between the gang working Happy Hour. The reward is not so much how much you give the individual, it's the fact that you cared enough give and appreciated the effort, there are many that don't even care enough to show up on the last night. ~ Ric

I usually sit at or near the bar so I have the same server/bartender each night. I give them $5 each night. It's a small price to pay for 4-5 beers and a few cosmos for my wife. I never seem to have to wait to get served while others are chasing servers down to get a drink. Don't have to wait in any queues. I'm even ask if I would like last call. Funny how that works. ;)

For the morning happy hour/elite breakfast, I usually give the server $2 for my espresso and couple of bloody marys, then the last morning provide additional tip to the one who has provided the most frequent service.

We tip each night also. when we were on Equinox last month our drinks were waiting for us by our bar stools when we arrived each night and were quickly refilled. To be honest I don't know how much we tipped that is DH department, I think it was $6 or $8.

we tipped the waitress $5.00 each night on recent cruise on the solstice. on night three she had our drinks waiting for us at our regular table. we had the same waitress each night so we gave her $20.00 extra the last night. the tips were well woth it----we each had 3 drinks per night and made it to diner on time

We are new to Elite but have attended the cocktail hour before as guests. We are on the Connie 14 nt in April and plan on going to happy hour. Do you think it is best to tip the bartenders/wait staff at the beginning of the cruise - at the end - or both?

We usually tip our waiter $5. with the first drinks he brings the first day and try to sit in the same area each night. The drink server is there waiting for us. We give him a few bucks each night and get super service. You'll see others who can barely get a drink and can't figure out why. This is when it's crowded.

This has been our experience, even with over 1000 elite on board.

We usually tip our waiter $5. with the first drinks he brings the first day and try to sit in the same area each night. The drink server is there waiting for us. We give him a few bucks each night and get super service. You'll see others who can barely get a drink and can't figure out why. This is when it's crowded.

We tip $5 to our server at the beginning of each evening and we develop a loyalty, just like you. Our server, Donovan, on the Equinox, was excellent! Always timely and wonderful smiles. These folks keep us coming back to Celebrity. It is all about the "Service"!

I'd rather do it this way if this is correct. How do you know that they split these tips?

Cynthia

I have been cruising Celebrity for the last 11.5 years with 97 actual cruises and 144 points. I have many friends in the F&B Department. We talk and I ask questions. IMHO this is the only equitable was to do it. If a big tipper is known there would be hard feelings away form the PAX there would be in fighting to get to the big spender or "How come he gave you money when I waited on him more? "Because you are a woman and I'm gay?! Or vice versa. The hard feelings escalate from there. A preserved wrong is a actual wrong to the preserver. Correct?

Now, when a Barservers brings you a drink you pay for, they get the 15% plus any extra you give, no shearing here, eh.

If you really like your server, get their name and submit an ATD on then. They get extra time off, scratch off reward cards, the ATD goes in their record and helps with promotions, the same holds true for the end of cruise reports we do. In a way this may be a bigger tip than just money. However, money is an excellent thank you, if you think enough of a person's service to give them tip daily or at the end of the cruise you have made a friend that will remember you on future cruises. ~ Ric

In 2010 we were on the Constellation transatlantic as she was taken to Hamburg for dry-dock. I don't remember how many elite members were on that cruise but the elite happy hour event was packed. Several times we overheard passengers complaining to the Captain's Club hostess about slow service. But, since the hubby and I were tipping each time we were served, we were immediately served each night, and also frequently didn't even have to place an order for our usual beverages. We also observed other passengers who could barely get a drink and also were clueless about the reason.

In 2010 we were on the Constellation transatlantic as she was taken to Hamburg for dry-dock. I don't remember how many elite members were on that cruise but the elite happy hour event was packed. Several times we overheard passengers complaining to the Captain's Club hostess about slow service. But, since the hubby and I were tipping each time we were served, we were immediately served each night, and also frequently didn't even have to place an order for our usual beverages. We also observed other passengers who could barely get a drink and also were clueless about the reason.

Money Talks, eh? Whether you are on a cruise or at big city hotel. Kindness, respect, and understanding are almost on equal footing though. ~ Ric

Archived