Suite Guests....Oasis..... Heads Up...Royal in the wrong direction

I see your point but if you have never been concierge then how can you say its not worth the money? That is really being unfair.

For my family of 5 we had to book 2 regular rooms. There are no regular rooms that hold 5 people. In our party we had to pay the 1-2 person full rate for 4 people in our family in 2 seperate rooms even though 3 were minors. We booked 2 balcony rooms. As prices started coming down, we were able to book a full concierge GS that sleeps 5 for only 800 more (this included a raise in gratuities we pre paid, travel insurance and tax)

So for $800 more we get a ton more things offered to us..all 5 of us.

Now, keeping an eye on availabilites I was able to snag an Owner's suite yesterday. Again, for my entire family the cost was $800 more then what we paid for the GS.

So for a grand total of $1600.00 more then we paid for the 2 regular balcony rooms we get a HUGE room (575 sq vs the 182sq for the balcony room), a private master bedroom, a jacuzzi and full walk in shower in the bathroom. A 243 sq foot balcony complete with a full table and chairs. We have a suite attendant to take care of any request or problems we might have. We can order the full menu from the main dining room (only concierge guest can do this) so if we are tired, sun burnt and do not wish to dress up for dinner we can eat lobster in our PJ's.

Then we get all of the perks offered to concierge guest. Windjammer packed? So many ships have small Windjammers and you have to cruise for 10-20 minutes just for a table. At other times it is roped off due to being at capacity. Concierge guest can go to the lounge and eat without having to look for a tiny table somewhere.

Alcohol is served breakfast, lunch and dinner in CL free of charge.

Suite guest can have their formal attire laundered for free. They also get tours of the bridge free of charge.

I could go on and on and on..... was all of this worth the $1600 for 5 people on a 7 day cruise? For us ..YUP!

Take a moment and look up on your tube videos of "Royal Caribbean owner's suite". Would you be willing to pay $1600 more then you already have to stay in it for 7 days?

Gee, we got along so well in the lobster thread, and we're here arguing about this? LOL. I didn't say that having a concierge was not worth the money. I said it is not worth the money for me, as I don't personally feel that service is that important for me. If others feel that it is, that's fine, but I have never had a concierge, as I generally do these things myself. I personally would not pay extra to have someone else do for me what I usually do myself, but that is my choice. As for getting that suite for $1600 more, I am not in the same position as you. For my family, we are four people, so we can cruise in one cabin. If you were already having to book two cabins to accommodate 5, then spending the extra grand a half probably did make sense. In my case of really only needing one stateroom, the suite cost would have been considerably more than that, and prohibitively expensive, so for me, I wouldn't do it. But, everyone has their own needs depending on family size, etc.

Currently, I am the only one working in my family, and I certainly don't have a huge income, so we have to try and be careful on costs. We're planning on going to Florida for about two weeks, and of course, with two young children, they want to go to Disney. So we're trying to balance costs between airfare (which will be probably $1700-$2000 for four from Denver to Orlando), plus the cruise costs, plus the Disney visit, etc. We're not fortunate enough, yet, to be able to go on vacation more often than every few years, so when we do go, we have to make the best of it. In this case, a suite is not an option. I would certainly consider a JS, even if it doesn't include the "perks," just to have the larger room, but the price would have to be right, though.:)

I see your point but if you have never been concierge then how can you say its not worth the money? That is really being unfair.

For my family of 5 we had to book 2 regular rooms. There are no regular rooms that hold 5 people. In our party we had to pay the 1-2 person full rate for 4 people in our family in 2 seperate rooms even though 3 were minors. We booked 2 balcony rooms. As prices started coming down, we were able to book a full concierge GS that sleeps 5 for only 800 more (this included a raise in gratuities we pre paid, travel insurance and tax)

So for $800 more we get a ton more things offered to us..all 5 of us.

Now, keeping an eye on availabilites I was able to snag an Owner's suite yesterday. Again, for my entire family the cost was $800 more then what we paid for the GS.

So for a grand total of $1600.00 more then we paid for the 2 regular balcony rooms we get a HUGE room (575 sq vs the 182sq for the balcony room), a private master bedroom, a jacuzzi and full walk in shower in the bathroom. A 243 sq foot balcony complete with a full table and chairs. We have a suite attendant to take care of any request or problems we might have. We can order the full menu from the main dining room (only concierge guest can do this) so if we are tired, sun burnt and do not wish to dress up for dinner we can eat lobster in our PJ's.

Then we get all of the perks offered to concierge guest. Windjammer packed? So many ships have small Windjammers and you have to cruise for 10-20 minutes just for a table. At other times it is roped off due to being at capacity. Concierge guest can go to the lounge and eat without having to look for a tiny table somewhere.

Alcohol is served breakfast, lunch and dinner in CL free of charge.

Suite guest can have their formal attire laundered for free. They also get tours of the bridge free of charge.

I could go on and on and on..... was all of this worth the $1600 for 5 people on a 7 day cruise? For us ..YUP!

Take a moment and look up on your tube videos of "Royal Caribbean owner's suite". Would you be willing to pay $1600 more then you already have to stay in it for 7 days?

ETA: if you look up Allure of the Seas Owner's suite on youtube you will get a more accurate view of what we got.

How can you say it is worth the money if you have never stayed in a suite that gave you access before, that seems equally unfair.

There are cabins that fit families of 5 that aren't suites, you need to call for pricing.

And you do realize that your prior posts are visable to all, that suite seems to be going down in price with each post.

And you haven't answered my questions yet. Have you been inconvenienced because of suite perks? How many shows have you NOT been able to enter on either ship because of this perk?

I have personally not been in that position where I was denied entrance to a show. However, the potential is there for this to happen, this whole thread is based on principle, not whether or not it has actually happened to anyone. As others, and I think you have mentioned, that there was probably some issue, which caused RC to change the policy. It's simply a matter if being fair about these issues. Maybe the best direction for RC to go with this whole issue is the way things like this have generally been on cruises - first come, first served. That would be absolutely fair and equitable to both the suite guests and non-suite guests. Those wanting to attend a show need to arrive 45 minutes or so early - once the seats are full, the doors are closed. That would be the only fair way to handle this situation.

If it's not worth the money for YOU, that's perfectly reasonable, understandable and acceptable.

But why have you spent four pages belittling and criticizing an experience that you've never tried?

And why do you insist on imposing your viewpoint as to how the suite experience should be if you've never even experienced how it actually is?

Your entire attitude on this thread just bewilders me.

Kind regards from the pompous, high-horse, snob who has nothing better to do with his time than to write on Cruise Critic and travel in Royal Suites on RCCL because he thinks RCCL is an upper class cruise line.

Gunther and Uta

I'm a real newbie to cruising - only been once 2 years ago which was Explorer of the Seas with my mum and 12yr old son. We went for a Grand Suite because it fitted three of us with 3 separate beds (2 singles + sofa). Had no idea what to expect and hadn't ever heard of cruise critic. We had the best time on the excursions and met some great people at our table in the MDR. Of course going to the special check in with no queue was great and turning up at the show with no booking was definitely handy. Also loved the reserved seating around the pool Do I think I'm better than anyone else ? No of course not!! I just paid quite a lot and RC offered a few extra things (aside from the lovely room of course). I've never seen it as any different to paying to fly business class which is mainly about the flat bed on the plane, but who doesn't want the extra benefits that come with it like the lounge, first on the plane and first off it and lots of bubbly. None of these things make me think I'm a cut above - just that I choose to go on a massive blow out holiday every couple of years rather than more frequent, less extravagant ones. That's just me (my brothers think I'm nuts). If everyone was the same - none of us would ever get the suites or flights we want!

Going on Freedom in July and went for an Owners suite (just me and the nipper this time). I'm not going to lie, if all the perks were taken away and I was just left with the big room, I probably wouldn't pay for the big room! I like the whole experience of a suite - well certainly based on my first time anyway. But if the reserved seating at the shows were removed (with all other perks left) you'd still find me in the lovely big room. I can make a reservation - it's no drama (for me - I love to plan my holiday - I have 2 years to think about it!). I know lots of people on here are saying the planning part is a problem but not for me personally. I think it would be awful if guests couldn't get to a show just because certain people don't reserve - and if that is really happening on Oasis and Allure then to me it makes sense. Cruising on ships that size will always have little compromises IMHO.

After reading this thread I think I'm going to feel really paranoid on Freedom now. I kind of wish I hadn't read it :(. I'd be so embarrassed if anyone looked at me like I think I'm the next Dutchess of Devonshire or something because I'm using the quick check in desk!

How can you say it is worth the money if you have never stayed in a suite that gave you access before, that seems equally unfair.

There are cabins that fit families of 5 that aren't suites, you need to call for pricing.

And you do realize that your prior posts are visable to all, that suite seems to be going down in price with each post.

No its not. Those numbers are the room cost... not the added gratuities, tax and the increase in Travel insurance. I just pulled up the rooms on the internet rather then going through my paperwork.

I was showing an example of cost difference on today's prices. I made that pretty clear in my post.

I have stayed Concierge many many times, just not on a ship.

Our family's favorite place to stay at Disney is the main building of the Grand Floridian and we have stayed there many times when the kids were younger. I have also stayed concierge at Sandals and The Venetian in Las Vegas and several smaller resorts.

The only room I can think of that sleeps 5 and is not a suite is the family stateroom. Do you have any idea how hard those are to get?! LOL

They also do not have a balcony and I always book a balcony as I enjoy them more so then interior rooms.

After reading this thread I think I'm going to feel really paranoid on Freedom now. I kind of wish I hadn't read it :(. I'd be so embarrassed if anyone looked at me like I think I'm the next Dutchess of Devonshire or something because I'm using the quick check in desk!

Don't worry about it. Most people on board do not even know what type cabin the other person is booked in. No one is going to think anything. Relax and enjoy yourself. :)

No its not. Those numbers are the room cost... not the added gratuities, tax and the increase in Travel insurance. I just pulled up the rooms on the internet rather then going through my paperwork.

I was showing an example of cost difference on today's prices. I made that pretty clear in my post.

I have stayed Concierge many many times, just not on a ship.

Our family's favorite place to stay at Disney is the main building of the Grand Floridian and we have stayed there many times when the kids were younger. I have also stayed concierge at Sandals and The Venetian in Las Vegas and several smaller resorts.

The only room I can think of that sleeps 5 and is not a suite is the family stateroom. Do you have any idea how hard those are to get?! LOL

They also do not have a balcony and I always book a balcony as I enjoy them more so then interior rooms.

Staying at Sandals or Disney is not the same as a ship, just as a suite on one cruiseline has different perks than a suite on another cruiseline.

And family balcony cabins do exist on Allure and Oasis.

Staying at Sandals or Disney is not the same as a ship, just as a suite on one cruiseline has different perks than a suite on another cruiseline.

And family balcony cabins do exist on Allure and Oasis.

Its not the exact same, if everything was the same there would be no reason to travel lol

However concierge does not mean a bigger or better room. Concierge is a certain level of service that you are paying for.

Example ~ The Grand Floridian. There are tons of rooms for $400 a night or so. They are identical in size, decor and room amenities to the concierge rooms. Even though the rooms are identical, the concierge rooms are a $1,000 a night. You are not paying for a bigger better room. You are paying for the service that is provided concierge guest.

When you see "Concierge" you assume that you will receive a certain level of service and perks. That is what it means...

If it's not worth the money for YOU, that's perfectly reasonable, understandable and acceptable.

But why have you spent four pages belittling and criticizing an experience that you've never tried?

And why do you insist on imposing your viewpoint as to how the suite experience should be if you've never even experienced how it actually is?

Your entire attitude on this thread just bewilders me.

Kind regards from the pompous, high-horse, snob who has nothing better to do with his time than to write on Cruise Critic and travel in Royal Suites on RCCL because he thinks RCCL is an upper class cruise line.

Gunther and Uta

My whole attitude is that suite guests ARE entitled to the extra perks - HOWEVER, and nobody seems to understand this, except for a few, is that suite perks that infringe on other's enjoyment of what THEY PAID TO USE, is not fair to the non-suite guests. Of course, the people on the other side of the argument can't seem to see this.

I don't see how you feel I am belittling and criticizing the "suite experience." I was stating that a policy that infringes on the rights of others is not fair to those passengers. The suite guests can have the concierge lounges, Diamond lounges, priority boarding, priority debarkation - I could care less! I paid my cabin's fare to be on the ship and enjoy the use of the public facilities - I could care less if you get on board 30 minutes before I do. If you want to debark 30 minutes before me - it doesn't matter. When other paying passengers book a reservation that they planned ahead for, and face the possibility they could be bumped by someone who didn't plan ahead, well, that's not fair when both passengers are paying to use the same facilities. As a non-suite guest, my fare does not entitle me to use the Concierges, or Diamond + lounges, nor does it entitle me to priority boarding, or early debarkation - I have no issue with that whatsoever. For those that feel these things are that important, that's fine - they're not important to me, though. I never once said that RC should close the CL or DL because I can't get in there. That is the exclusive domain of it's D+ members and suite guests - got it - no problem. The public show venue is NOT the exclusive domain of the suite guests. You had posted earlier referring to the special suite areas on the Epic, I believe. No problem - that area is closed to the public and is RESERVED to those guests staying there - OK. The entire show lounges are NOT reserved for suite guests.

I guess I'm at a loss as to why it is difficult for some people to simply be fair and considerate of other guests. That's the point. RC brought this problem on themselves, and they will need to find a remedy for it. Like I said, maybe they should simply go back to first come, first served. That is the only truly fair and equitable solution. If the suite guests arrive first and get in - so be it. If non-suite guests arrive first and get in - so be it. When the seats are filled - that's it....No one else, suite or non-suite, can get in. I have read several complaints from D+ and suite cruisers how they're feeling left-out/let-down/alienated by RC. RC would be smart to not make any of their guests feel that way.

BTW, I did not call you a pompous, high-horse snob - that was someone else.

My whole attitude is that suite guests ARE entitled to the extra perks - HOWEVER, and nobody seems to understand this, except for a few, is that suite perks that infringe on other's enjoyment of what THEY PAID TO USE, is not fair to the non-suite guests. Of course, the people on the other side of the argument can't seem to see this.

And what you are failing to realize is this does not happen. If you have reservations for a show, you get in to see that show. There is nobody kicking out non suite guest who have made reservations!

The only way someone might not be allowed in even if they made a reservation is if RC overbooked the show. I am sure they do overbook the shows as most places do. They are counting on many people not showing up.

There is a separate roped off area for suite guest at the show. This is taken into account when RC opens up the reservations. The only people who are in danger of not seeing the show are those non suite guest who do not have reservations and are in the stand byline.

Nobody is taking away what you paid for however they are taking away what suite guest paid for...

And what you are failing to realize is this does not happen. If you have reservations for a show, you get in to see that show. There is nobody kicking out non suite guest who have made reservations!

The only way someone might not be allowed in even if they made a reservation is if RC overbooked the show. I am sure they do overbook the shows as most places do. They are counting on many people not showing up.

There is a separate roped off area for suite guest at the show. This is taken into account when RC opens up the reservations. The only people who are in danger of not seeing the show are those non suite guest who do not have reservations and are in the stand byline.

Nobody is taking away what you paid for however they are taking away what suite guest paid for...

I understand your logic here. So if RC does overbook the show, and there are guests in line with reservations, who gets bumped then? Let me guess...I understand the no-reservation guests chancing not getting in. Oh well, since RC changed the system and requires all guests to now have reservations, then it shouldn't be an issue who doesn't get in - suite or non-suite.

I have personally not been in that position where I was denied entrance to a show. However, the potential is there for this to happen, this whole thread is based on principle, not whether or not it has actually happened to anyone. As others, and I think you have mentioned, that there was probably some issue, which caused RC to change the policy. It's simply a matter if being fair about these issues. Maybe the best direction for RC to go with this whole issue is the way things like this have generally been on cruises - first come, first served. That would be absolutely fair and equitable to both the suite guests and non-suite guests. Those wanting to attend a show need to arrive 45 minutes or so early - once the seats are full, the doors are closed. That would be the only fair way to handle this situation.

Just what I thought. You haven't been on either ship so you have no idea of how the system works. Thanks for giving your expert opinion on the subject.

Well congratulations. You've now posted more than the Op in this thread. A little obsessed? And people seem to get it just fine, except for you and one or two others.

But I'll tell you what. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Just give me one real example of a non-suite passenger getting bumped from their reservation, or infringed upon as you put it, because of this suite perk. Just one. That's all I want to see.

Just what I thought. You haven't been on either ship so you have no idea of how the system works. Thanks for giving your expert opinion on the subject.

Never claimed to be an expert at all. Just stating my opinion on what is fair and equitable. There is such a thing as principle, you know.

And what you are failing to admit is that something like this DID happen, exactly what is speculation, otherwise the policy would not have been changed!

And also so you know that roped off section is only a very small area in the theater, all suite guests who attend the show probably will not fit there so unless you are first in, with or without a reservation, you may not be able to sit in those seats as a suite passenger.

Aren't there fewer reservations available if part of the theater is roped off? Does that not infringe upon non-suite-holders? Or am I missing something?

Well congratulations. You've now posted more than the Op in this thread. A little obsessed? And people seem to get it just fine, except for you and one or two others.

But I'll tell you what. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Just give me one real example of a non-suite passenger getting bumped from their reservation, or infringed upon as you put it, because of this suite perk. Just one. That's all I want to see.

Why do you need to see "living proof?" Can you not see the potential for problems on both sides? And actually, I do completely understand. It's a HISTORICAL perk that RC instituted that has the potential to be unfair to other guests, but certain guests can't seem to see that. But now that it's GONE, this really should be a non-issue.

I understand your logic here. So if RC does overbook the show, and there are guests in line with reservations, who gets bumped then? Let me guess...I understand the no-reservation guests chancing not getting in. Oh well, since RC changed the system and requires all guests to now have reservations, then it shouldn't be an issue who doesn't get in - suite or non-suite.

No, suite guest would not bump reservation guest. As stated, there is a reserved roped off area for suite guest. The only people who would bump reservation guest are other reservation guest if RC overbooked the show.

Here is another way to look at it.

Family X is in the Royal suite. They go to the show and are told the VIP seating area is full. Are they going to stay and sit somewhere in the back? I doubt it. They will wait for another show so they can have really great seats. The show is performed nightly. Why sit way in the back where its hard to see anything (which would be the case if the VIP area was already full) when you could go the next night and have a seat front and center?

It wouldn't make a lot of sense for family X to stay would it? I am sure there are a few here and there that would stay and sit way in the back but for the vast majority, they would rather wait and have great seats for the show.

Why do you need to see "living proof?" Can you not see the potential for problems on both sides? And actually, I do completely understand. It's a HISTORICAL perk that RC instituted that has the potential to be unfair to other guests, but certain guests can't seem to see that.

Why? Because I don't believe it's true. That's why. If there was a problem with people getting rejected at the door because suite people took their seats, it would have been all over these boards by now. Yet, I don't see one solitary case. Not one. So once again, please show me one example. After all, you've taken over this thread, so back it up with facts. Just one.

Aren't there fewer reservations available if part of the theater is roped off? Does that not infringe upon non-suite-holders? Or am I missing something?

The roped off VIP areas are taken into account before the reservations are opened.

Even now, suite guest need to make their reservations but they do not "compete" or take the same seats as the non suite guest. They reserve for their section.

Every show on earth has a VIP section... Football games, any sport, Broadway musicals... you get the idea. RC is no different.

No, suite guest would not bump reservation guest. As stated, there is a reserved roped off area for suite guest. The only people who would bump reservation guest are other reservation guest if RC overbooked the show.

Here is another way to look at it.

Family X is in the Royal suite. They go to the show and are told the VIP seating area is full. Are they going to stay and sit somewhere in the back? I doubt it. They will wait for another show so they can have really great seats. The show is performed nightly. Why sit way in the back where its hard to see anything (which would be the case if the VIP area was already full) when you could go the next night and have a seat front and center?

It wouldn't make a lot of sense for family X to stay would it? I am sure there are a few here and there that would stay and sit way in the back but for the vast majority, they would rather wait and have great seats for the show.

Actually from what I have heard most suite guests DO NOT sit in th "VIP" seats as they do not like the location. As I mentioned thete are far more suite passengers at a show than roped off seats.

I didn't read back at all the posts, so I apologize for insinuating that you called me a pompous, high-horse snob.

This thread isn't really going anyplace further. Can't we find something else to argue about?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

OK - in this case, I will wholeheartedly agree with you.

Archived