How to Pack the bare minimum

I cruise in just a carry on .. it can be done. Wear one dress twice for formal night if there are 2 elegant nights. .. just dont bring all the extras. All Carnival ships have self serve laundrys if you are not platinum and get free wash n fold.

Black and denim for the bottoms. No one will notice (or care) if you wear the same black pants/shorts or denim shorts, jeans, capris) more than once and they go with most any color top. And minimal pairs of shoes. I'll pack a pair of flip flops, a pair of sandals, and a pair of sneakers (which i wear on the plane and on boarding day).

How to Pack the bare minimum

Although it's probably not a potential option for you . . . or me . . .

Some sailings require less attire planning than others.

Those on the Feb 9-17 (2013) sailing of Carnival Freedom could get by on just a shoulder tote. :)

Those on the Feb 9-17 (2013) sailing of Carnival Freedom could get by on just a shoulder tote. :)

lol-045.gif

Must be a nudie cruise

Will they need that much? What happens on formal night?

lol-045.gif

Must be a nudie cruise

LOL!

Good tip on packing black and denim. You're absolutely right, no one cares what people are wearing. We're flying in to cruise on the Magic next month, and need to pack for DH, DD (who will be 13 months by then), and myself. The goal is to only bring 2 pieces of luggage to check in, 2 backpacks and possibly a roller to bring on the plane. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's tips!

My contribution to this thread is to put all toiletries in smaller containers. You can get them in the travel size section of the stores. For ladies, different cosmetic brands have travel size samples of your favorite skincare and haircare. You can also buy travel sizes at department stores or make-up stores at the mall.

Im not sure that I could do a 7 day cruise with just carry on, since, I usually always spend a day or two before cruise in Florida. But I will say, that I always do end up with too much "elegant" clothes. There are only two elegant nights and with those you can either mix and match, or wear the same thing twice. No one will notice, Im sure.

I also usually end up with too many shorts, capris, slacks and not enough tops. After 7 cruises, I still have not learned how not to pack too much. But I am much better than others I know. Hopefully next cruise, I will get it down to a reasonable amount of clothes. For me, I just need to remember that regular clothes will suffice in the MDR now, and elegant nights, are not like they used to be. Im having trouble fitting into the new norm, but trying.:)

I like the black and denim shorts. Any color shirt would be fine with them. I will bring the sandals on my feet, those water shoes or whatever you call them and one pair of heels (black to go with the black skirts and pants). Ooops.................I guess I need slippers too. :eek::eek:

Bare minimum!!!! Don't ask me. I don't even know what that is. Ask my DH while he is cussing under his breath lugging everything onboard. And we do self assist. We do get free laundry but that takes care of t-shirts, shorts, socks, pjs and undies. But that is not the bulk of what we pack, so we are still overpacked.

We pack a tote bag and a rolling suitcase each, these 2 things fit up in the hold of the plane and is used for the cruise as carry on. No need to pay for luggage on the plane or pay a porter at the Port. We could never think of carrying more than 2 pair shoes each? One for everyday, one for dinner if we do MDR ( which is getting more rare). Most of what we pack is underwear, one pair long pants each and shirts and shorts can and do get re-worn at times. A shirt I wear on Monday, can often be hung and re-worn Thursday.

We always arrive in port 2 days early and stay a day late, so for most trips we are gone 10 days...I am amazed why more don't re-wear clothes? What the heck do you do to get the shirts that smelly or grimy?

Archived