Mariner or Freedom?

My family went on FOS eastern in September with extended family and had a great time. We are looking into booking another cruise and are undecided.

We live in Texas so we are thinking of Mariner out of Galveston in March. We would be able to drive to the port instead of flying. Our other choice is FOS out of Port Canaveral in June/July where we would have to fly to Florida.

Are there really big differences in the 2 ships? As for the flowrider on FOS, my son only used it one time.

For those that have been on both, please give me your opinion. I am really undecided.

Thanks!!

We've been on both ships. (Mariner 2Xs, Freedom 1X w/another booked.) If the Flowrider is not a factor? I'd say go with Mariner. Not having to fly is a HUGE plus IMO.

If you were placed blindfolded on either ship, once you removed the blindfold it would take you quite a while to tell which you were on. They are very, very similar. Freedom is around 100' longer. The pool area is configured differently and now has the large TV (not sure if Mariner has that upgrade.) If your son is younger he may miss the "water park" area on Freedom (which Mariner does not have.) The Promenade has a few different venues.

Otherwise, I'd choose Mariner w/o a second thought.

Just a bit more information: sailing will be me, DH, DD 16 and DS 13. Like I said, the Flowrider DS used only once and that was enough.

Does Mariner have a Ben and Jerry's? Is there an ice cream machine by the pool? DS took advantage of both of these during our time on FOS.

How was the Port of Galveston? I have read both good and bad reviews about embarkation and disembarkation.

As for cabins, we would have 2. DH wants a balcony room and the kids could have an inside room. On FOS, we did it this way and it worked out really well. They were across the hall from us.

Thanks again!!

Just a bit more information: sailing will be me, DH, DD 16 and DS 13. Like I said, the Flowrider DS used only once and that was enough.

Does Mariner have a Ben and Jerry's? Yes Is there an ice cream machine by the pool? Yes DS took advantage of both of these during our time on FOS.

How was the Port of Galveston? I have read both good and bad reviews about embarkation and disembarkation.

As for cabins, we would have 2. DH wants a balcony room and the kids could have an inside room. On FOS, we did it this way and it worked out really well. They were across the hall from us. You could do the same.

Thanks again!!

I've been on both of these ships' sister ships (Liberty/Explorer). We drove to port the first time ever last year and IT WAS WONDERFUL. Not having to fly makes a HUGE difference. You actually get home from vacation relaxed :D

As for the two ships, there's not a ton of difference between the two. The ones that might be most noticeable: There is only a cafe promenade, not a cafe promenade and sorrento's. You can still get pizza at CP, but its not two separate venues. As a PP mentioned, there is also not an H20 zone on the Mariner - or flow riders. Also, the balconies are not all plexiglass.

Does Mariner have a Ben and Jerry's? Is there an ice cream machine by the pool? DS took advantage of both of these during our time on FOS.

As for cabins, we would have 2. DH wants a balcony room and the kids could have an inside room. On FOS, we did it this way and it worked out really well. They were across the hall from us.

Thanks again!!

I have been on both and would save the dollars in airfare to possibly do two cruises on Mariner compared to one on Freedom with air. ;)

Tim

I live in Texas too. We flew to go on FOS last summer. DH does not like to fly. Galveston is easy to get to for us. I wonder about the Mariner too. I am also looking into Carnival Magic:eek:. We have pleanty of friends going on it because it is in Texas.

I REALLY want to go on Oasis/Allure but again, we have to fly

Oh, another thing, Mariner does NOT sail in the summer time. I have a school aged child. That is another reason why we flew to FOS.

As far as Galveston is concerned, I think Carnival is it in the summer. I find the price that same as RCI in the summer. Saving airfare is really the only thing that adds to it.

It would take us, say, 4 hours to drive to Galveston. It would take us that long to fly to Florida with a direct flight.

Freedom is really just a stetched Mariner. If you don't care about the flow rider or children's H20 zone, take Mariner. She's lovely. And the balconies are plexiglass. I've been on Freedom and Liberty and all the Voyager class shiips. I prefer Voyager class.

"And the balconies are plexiglass." What does that mean? I am confused.

Thanks

It means the balconies on Mariner look exactly like the ones on Freedom. They are see through glass. Preferable IMO.

3 of Mariner's *older* sister ships have metal balcony construction. Mariner and Navigator have glass balconies. Explorer, Voyager & Adventure have metal.

The Voyager, Explorer and Adventurer have the metal enclosed cave type balconies. The Mariner and the Navigator are the newest iterations of the Voyager class ships and they have the more open "glass" balconies.

Archived