Who's been resently visited by the upgrade fairy?

We're always hoping to be visited by the upgrade fairy...and just love hearing stories of cruisers who've been visited by her.

Have you had the pleasure of meeting her? If so, when did you hear from her and what kind of upgrade did you get?

I just got an upgrade on the 4/22 sailing of the Allure. I had booked an inside cabin on deck 12 and have been upgraded to a Central Park balcony also on deck 12. I was upgraded twice last year, on the Serenade from a balcony to a JS and on the Explorer from an inside to an outside. Both those came less than a week before the cruise and I assume were D+ upgrades. The Allure upgrade came over a month out so I don't know if it was D+ or not, not that it really matters.

We were upgraded last December on the Liberty - even though the ship was showing as sold-out for weeks.

We received an email three days before we sailed.

They upgraded us from a D1 Hump to a JS. We were very surprised and have our fingers crossed for our next cruise, lol :D

###

I just got an upgrade on the 4/22 sailing of the Allure. I had booked an inside cabin on deck 12 and have been upgraded to a Central Park balcony also on deck 12. I was upgraded twice last year, on the Serenade from a balcony to a JS and on the Explorer from an inside to an outside. Both those came less than a week before the cruise and I assume were D+ upgrades. The Allure upgrade came over a month out so I don't know if it was D+ or not, not that it really matters.

We're on the 4/15 Allure cruise! Haven't gotten anything yet...but it looks like there's a lot of JS rooms and up rooms available (we're in a D1), so hopefully something will happen. Did you find out about the Allure through e-mail?

not once in 16 cruises

I hear ya....me too.

We were upgraded last December on the Liberty - even though the ship was showing as sold-out for weeks.

We received an email three days before we sailed.

They upgraded us from a D1 Hump to a JS. We were very surprised and have our fingers crossed for our next cruise, lol :D

###

I'm keepin my fingers & toes crossed for my Allure cruise next month! And I'm going to keep checkin my e-mail!

We're on the 4/15 Allure cruise! Haven't gotten anything yet...but it looks like there's a lot of JS rooms and up rooms available (we're in a D1), so hopefully something will happen. Did you find out about the Allure through e-mail?

I hear ya....me too.

I'm keepin my fingers & toes crossed for my Allure cruise next month! And I'm going to keep checkin my e-mail!

Each time I received an email with a new invoice attached showing the new cabin number. I booked directly with Royal Caribbean via their web site. I don't know what they do if you booked through a TA.

Please tell her that I live in SC!!;)

Wow. You must be very lucky! :)

Never seen her either.

I am curious for those that were contacted ~ were you asked if you would like the upgrade or did they just give it to you?

Has anyone been offered an upgrade with a discount price rather then free? I know many resorts and airlines do this but not sure on cruise ships.

We are a family of 5 and have 2 balcony rooms for a total of 9400 bucks.

On our sailing there are still a ton of those loft suites available. It looks like only a couple were booked (we sail in May). If they upgraded us from our 2 balcony rooms and put all 5 (2 parents, 3 kids) of us in the loft suite, RC would make more money on the sailing... If they offered the suite to us at a discounted upgrade they would make a ton more money on the sailing.

They could then sell our two very popular balcony rooms at normal rate and make more money.

Am I looking for a free upgrade? Not a chance HA HA HA

I was wondering if they do discount upgrades the closer the cruise gets?

Based on the original title's misspelling, the word "resently" is more likely to be "resentfully" based on the way cruise lines dislike upgrades!

Agreed. "Upgrades" seem to be made to enhance the revenue departments numbers rather than to reward any kind of loyalty (not that they advertise that as a loyalty perk or anything :rolleyes:).

My opinion - the cheaper seat you book - the better the upgrade odds. Which just sucks to no end.

From what I have been told by my TA, generally speaking, the early bookings in the least expensive category of each type of cabin seem to have the best chance of upgrades. Whether that's true or not, just like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW...." I have been "upgraded" 3 times on various cruises, though I really only consider one of them a true upgrade. We were once "upgraded" from the lowest category outside cabin to the highest category outside cabin on Carnival. The same thing happened to us on Princess. The only "true" upgrade we ever received was on Carnival from an Ocean view Guarantee to a partially-obstructed view balcony.

Just for reference, my definition of a "true" upgrade would be receiving a better overall category than what you paid for. I don't really feel that a lower category inside cabin to a higher category inside cabin is an upgrade. If you booked and paid for an inside cabin, and were assigned an outside cabin, then I feel that is a legitimate upgrade. A standard balcony to a JS "could" be seen the same way, but most JS's don't seem to be THAT much nicer than the best balcony cabins. Now a GS or RS? That would be an upgrade for sure, but I have been told that many times if the suites are not sold, the ship will sail with them empty before anyone is upgraded that far.

From what I have been told by my TA, generally speaking, the early bookings in the least expensive category of each type of cabin seem to have the best chance of upgrades. Whether that's true or not, just like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW...." I have been "upgraded" 3 times on various cruises, though I really only consider one of them a true upgrade. We were once "upgraded" from the lowest category outside cabin to the highest category outside cabin on Carnival. The same thing happened to us on Princess. The only "true" upgrade we ever received was on Carnival from an Ocean view Guarantee to a partially-obstructed view balcony.

Just for reference, my definition of a "true" upgrade would be receiving a better overall category than what you paid for. I don't really feel that a lower category inside cabin to a higher category inside cabin is an upgrade. If you booked and paid for an inside cabin, and were assigned an outside cabin, then I feel that is a legitimate upgrade. A standard balcony to a JS "could" be seen the same way, but most JS's don't seem to be THAT much nicer than the best balcony cabins. Now a GS or RS? That would be an upgrade for sure, but I have been told that many times if the suites are not sold, the ship will sail with them empty before anyone is upgraded that far.

HA HA yup I believe that. I wasn't looking for a free upgrade though lol

I was wondering if they discounted upgrades the closer the cruise got. However reading further into the lofts ~ the ones available only sleep 4. I was under the idea that they slept 5 so my idea won't work anyhow lol

I've had 4 upgrades in my RCI career (Pinnacle Club) that were C&A, plus one onboard after somebody in an OS didn't show up for the cruise.

I've read that people have been offered upsells to book a higher category for a reduced amount, have never been offered that.

Archived