Worst Disembarkation EVER in SF

Pam in CA

What does this kind of fiasco disembarking do to people who have bought the bon voyage experience-friends or family who are expecting to embark for a tour of the ship and lunch in the MDR and 4 hrs. on board. However could they embark during the kind of experience you all endured!!! Very worried because I had planned to purchase this for family member not cruising but wanting a taste of cruising. What to do if SF is such a problem port.?

Pam,

So sorry you had this experience. We were on the Star last Feb (Rio-Santiago) and our disembarkation was a mess also. Our experience, sadly, was caused by Princess staff on board who were unwilling/unable to stray from rigid rules and unwilling/unable to adequately communicate with passengers. Happily, our January experience on the Island was great and, hopefully, our experience on the Emerald will be just as good!

What does this kind of fiasco disembarking do to people who have bought the bon voyage experience-friends or family who are expecting to embark for a tour of the ship and lunch in the MDR and 4 hrs. on board. However could they embark during the kind of experience you all endured!!! Very worried because I had planned to purchase this for family member not cruising but wanting a taste of cruising. What to do if SF is such a problem port.?

Nobody can board until the ship has been cleared by US immigration and customs.

Is disembarkation is delayed, so is embarkation, even for BVE folk.

We were delayed in S.F. because of Customs not showing up on time, then posting an Agent at the bottom of the gangway to inspect the Passport Photos. As we went down holding up our Passports as instructed she had her head turned to a friend discussing her evening fun the night before. S.F. Customs needs to get their act together or even a new Terminal won't help. I love S.F., but not the U.S. Customs there, they just don't do their job, except for the dogs working hard.

Nobody can board until the ship has been cleared by US immigration and customs.

Is disembarkation is delayed, so is embarkation, even for BVE folk.

We were delayed in S.F. because of Customs not showing up on time, then posting an Agent at the bottom of the gangway to inspect the Passport Photos. As we went down holding up our Passports as instructed she had her head turned to a friend discussing her evening fun the night before. S.F. Customs needs to get their act together or even a new Terminal won't help. I love S.F., but not the U.S. Customs there, they just don't do their job, except for the dogs working hard.

I hope all of this will be sorted out by this Tuesday. I will update on my return. I have faith in the system.

I hope all of this will be sorted out by this Tuesday. I will update on my return. I have faith in the system.

I would think that the cruises that originate and end in San Francisco will have a much easier time with Customs... I'm sure one of the reasons for the big problems on disembarkation on the OP's cruise was that it originated in a foreign country... When we sailed to Alaska a couple of years ago on the Sea Princess, we had minimal problems on disembarkation. In fact, we beat our luggage off the ship and had to wait a few minutes before they allowed folks into the area to get their luggage.

We had this totally similar experience after a TA that started in Barcelona and ended in Cape Liberty NJ. The Cruise line was Celebrity the problem was a closed port because of President Bush and John McCain and Sarah Palin being at the UN. The result was absolutely insane with NO taxi's NO busses No way to walk and we missed our train at 1:30 AM at EWR train station that was within sight of the docked ship. Sometimes you are lucky and sometimes You are NOT:rolleyes:

Archived