What time do shops open in Ketchikan?

cruzluvr2

Our ship arrives in Ketchikan at 6:30. Our tour doesn't leave until 9 a.m. Will the shops open for us to do a little shopping before the tour begins? We're hoping to squeeze in the lumberjack show after our tour which would prevent us from shopping afterward.

Yes, some of the stores will be open when you arrive. They have the ships

schedules and plan accordingly. Check out the Tongass Trading store on the

dock. It's where most of us locals go for sporting goods. etc. Plus in the summer

they have the big trinket shop downstairs....:)

We will have the same situation in Juneau. Ship arrives at 6:30 am and we have whale watching scheduled for 9:00. Will there be something to do before 9? I'm sure our bodies will still be on Eastern Time, so we'll be up and ready to go. Does anyone know what time the tram opens?

We will have the same situation in Juneau. Ship arrives at 6:30 am and we have whale watching scheduled for 9:00. Will there be something to do before 9? I'm sure our bodies will still be on Eastern Time, so we'll be up and ready to go. Does anyone know what time the tram opens?

Not enough time for the tram, but consider picking up a walking tour map and see Juneau. There is on available in either Fodor's Alaska or Frommer's Alaska, head to your library.

Ticket Prices*

Adult: $23.95

Child 6-12: $12.50

Child 5 & Under: FREE

*Prices include local tax.

Tickets allow all day unlimited rides and include viewing of Seeing Daylight and the Juneau Raptor Center's live Bald Eagle exhibit. Allow a minimum of one hour for a complete tramway experience.

To request a brochure or for more information call 1-888-461-TRAM or write to us.

Season: May 8 to September 27**

Hours: Saturdays & Sundays: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM

Mondays: 10:30 AM to 9:00 PM

Tuesday - Fridays: 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM

** In May and September hours and days of operation may vary depending on ship arrivals and departures.

When I was in Ketchikan last year, most of the shops near the pier were open, but most on the river were closed until 9AM. Ketchikan is a ghost town since the Clinton Administration closed all logging and access to the National forrests in 1994 and put 3,800 people out of work. Cruise ship tourists provides 80% of the jobs in the short season from May through Sept.

Mukluk, you'll be happy to know that I have designated Ketchikan as my shopping port. Our ship, the Summit, departs at 2pm, so I figure I'll shop from the time we arrive to when I have to embark the ship to leave. I'm really looking forward to visiting the Quilt store....the Silver Thimble...and all others that I can fit in between 7am and 1:30pm. I'm glad to be helping support the local economy!

Archived