QM2 dining -- a couple of questions

FamilyVacation2012

There have been several recommendations of room service as a good breakfast option, with the order card placed on the doorknob the night before. If one doesn't want to commit to waking at a certain time, can room service breakfast also be ordered with a phone call in the morning?

If we decide to eat dinner one night at the King's Court Buffet, should the Brittania restaurant be notified? Do your Brittania seats just remain empty if you are not there?

What percentage of men would you say wear a black suit to dinner on formal nights? And do they wear a regular shirt and tie with the suit or a tuxedo shirt and bow tie?

Thanks in advance for all of your good advice!

There have been several recommendations of room service as a good breakfast option, with the order card placed on the doorknob the night before. If one doesn't want to commit to waking at a certain time, can room service breakfast also be ordered with a phone call in the morning?

If we decide to eat dinner one night at the King's Court Buffet, should the Brittania restaurant be notified? Do your Brittania seats just remain empty if you are not there?

What percentage of men would you say wear a black suit to dinner on formal nights? And do they wear a regular shirt and tie with the suit or a tuxedo shirt and bow tie?

Thanks in advance for all of your good advice!

I don't do breakfast room service very often because I don't like to commit to a specific waking time, either. But we have use room service for an early breakfast on a day when we had an early tour. You may call to order breakfast. I don't know how long it takes, as we've never done that.

Yes, your seats will be empty if you don't go to dinner in the Britannia. It isn't a problem, and you don't have to notify the dining room. If you're sharing a table with other people, it is nice to let them know the night before (assuming you're planning in advance).

I would say most men wore a tux to dinner on formal night. The dining room is so huge that it's difficult to see what everyone is wearing, but I'd guess at least 75%, maybe more. At the Commodor's welcome party (or whatever it's called), I think all the men were in tuxes, except for two in full dress kilt. I wasn't playing "fashion police, so I might have missed a few suits. The Commodore did compliment us on how good we all looked in our formal wear. And that was a Britannia party. I suspect all the men in the Grills wore tuxes for formal nights.

I agree with 3rdGenCunarder. If you phone room service in the timeliness of service will depend upon how busy the wait staff is. The more room orders that need to be delivered, the slower the service. Please note that room service is not an option on disembarkation day.

As for dress, I think on formal nights the proportion of tuxedos to business suits is actually higher, somewhere around 90% tuxedos. This varies a bit depending upon the ship's itinerary.

Room service menus are not very extensive in choice, although some passengers report that their special orders have been fulfilled, that has not been my own experience. You do have to state a time, and of course have to be up (or at least out of bed -and in the case of a female passenger wearing a robe over your night attire) in order to let in the room service steward.

Sometimes the meal could be less than hot.

Phone orders , this I certainly would not recommend, even for a lunch hamburger, tried to order this at 1.30p.m and was told the "wait time was 70 minutes"!

If you do not wish to go to the dining room for breakfast you could use the buffet, though again I have not done this. Since breakfast and lunch are open seating you take your chances with the waiters you get, and this can be an occasional problem if you get a slow or not so good waiter. Of course at dinner you have an assigned table and the same waiters every night.

It is always polite to tell table companions if you are not dining the next night, this saves them waiting and waiting for you to arrive before the waiter will take their ' orders

A "business suit" with ordinary white shirt and a tie is an alternative to a tux,females do not have to wear" Vera Wang formals", but jeans are not supposed to be worn, or the kind of outfit you would wear to go to the local DIY store

Have a good trip.

A "business suit" with ordinary white shirt and a tie is an alternative to a tux,females do not have to wear" Vera Wang formals", but jeans are not supposed to be worn, or the kind of outfit you would wear to go to the local DIY store

But it's lovely if they do.

If you're sharing a table with other people, it is nice to let them know the night before (assuming you're planning in advance).

It also helps the waiters. We ring the dining room and inform them that we will not be dining there and ask for our table companions to be told. Then they are not sitting waiting for us to arrive.

David

If you choose not to eat in assigned dining room in the evening and you eat in the buffet is there a charge. Was looking at a Cunard review and it gave the impression that there was some sort of charge, seemed strange but!

Talking about QM2 here...

There are three sections (plus the small Chef's Galley) in the Kings Court; La Piazza, The Carvery, Lotus.

In the evenings two of the three will be laid as reservation-only extra-charge restaurants, the other one will be a casual open buffet.

They change which section will be the "free" buffet most evenings.

In the "restaurants" they divide the seating areas from the preparation areas with screens.

However, there are still main walkways right alongside many of the tables...

Personally, I've paid for my food already, I'm not keen to pay for it again, no matter how well they dress up a buffet area. So I am selective about when, if ever, I'd miss dining in the amazing Britannia Restaurant.

Hope this helps, Bon Voyage.

We missed our first MDR and "dined" in the general and free buffet section of Kings Court. We did not eat there again although I know it appeals to some, just not us. I did hear though, that the charge restaurants in Kings Court at night time are much better than the general buffet section and are not buffet at all, but a la carte with full service and excellent food. This was the Carvery in particular. But they book out early.

On our first night, only one person was in the MDR at our table. I tried to advise the MDR during the day of our absence but couldn't find the Maitre D. I felt very sorry for the solo diner.

We did a room delivery coffee pot for breakfast which arrived on time, and then attended the MDR for breakfast.

On our next cruise we have booked My Time Dining which allows us to dine when it suits us. As it is a Med cruise it is port intensive and we wouldn't be ready for a 6pm sitting on any night. But Cunard only offers such freedom in the Grills suites, the only alternative being Kings Court.

Room service menus are not very extensive in choice, although some passengers report that their special orders have been fulfilled, that has not been my own experience. You do have to state a time, and of course have to be up (or at least out of bed -and in the case of a female passenger wearing a robe over your night attire) in order to let in the room service steward.

Sometimes the meal could be less than hot.

Phone orders , this I certainly would not recommend, even for a lunch hamburger, tried to order this at 1.30p.m and was told the "wait time was 70 minutes"!

If you do not wish to go to the dining room for breakfast you could use the buffet, though again I have not done this. Since breakfast and lunch are open seating you take your chances with the waiters you get, and this can be an occasional problem if you get a slow or not so good waiter. Of course at dinner you have an assigned table and the same waiters every night.

It is always polite to tell table companions if you are not dining the next night, this saves them waiting and waiting for you to arrive before the waiter will take their ' orders

Have a good trip.

Room service is one of the hi-lights of travel for me and in 7 trips on QM2 I have never eaten elsewhere. I adore room service.....and I have always written in the particular things I want and they always arrive. I've not heard of anyone else having a problem doing this. I travel in Britannia by the way....not the Grills.

As to being up???? Well, not always I"m afraid, as we have been known to sleep past that discreet knock on the door. Fear not, the waiter will get to a phone and call you altho I've always felt bad when it's happened. I have also called for it when I've forgotten to hang the tag and never had to wait long in the morning. There's something about taking that first cup of tea on the balcony no matter where we are sailing.

We are some who enjoy the formal nights and with the various friends we travel with, all enjoy doing the tux and evening gowns. It's just part of the special ambiance for us and neither takes up any more room in the luggage than other types of clothing.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding!

2012...assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

...I adore room service.....and I have always written in the particular things I want and they always arrive. I've not heard of anyone else having a problem doing this.

The only problem we've ever had with room service was when She Who Must Be Obeyed, in pursuit of a mid morning snack, phoned and ordered "six sandwiches" expecting to receive a small plateful of those dainty little triangular thingies that they serve at afternoon tea.

She was pretty surprised when a posse of waiters arrived each bearing a large plate with a club sandwich complete with fries and salad.

I really had to be a big brave boy and work very hard to chomp my way through the five and a half that madam couldn't manage. Fortunately, by the time I had done, there was still half an hour to go before lunch, and a brisk walk round the promenade deck soon restored my appetite! :D:D:D

J (never knowingly underfed!)

On our next cruise we have booked My Time Dining which allows us to dine when it suits us. As it is a Med cruise it is port intensive and we wouldn't be ready for a 6pm sitting on any night. But Cunard only offers such freedom in the Grills suites, the only alternative being Kings Court.

We are cruising the Med in June this year on QV and have opted for the late sitting so that we can fully enjoy the days in port. We have had the any time dining on Celebrity and although handy, we found we like to eat with the same guests at night time as we usually have built up a rapport and its nice not to have to introduce yourself again and again. We meet enough new people at breakie and lunch. This is what we like....:D

Room service is one of the hi-lights of travel for me and in 7 trips on QM2 I have never eaten elsewhere. I adore room service.....and I have always written in the particular things I want and they always arrive. I've not heard of anyone else having a problem doing this. I travel in Britannia by the way....not the Grills.

You have all your meals in your stateroom, or am I misunderstanding?

I do like ordering breakfast in cabin; I find it very relaxing. The choice is not great though, so I will sometimes go to King's Court. I tend not to go to the dining room for breakfast, as I often sleep in; except on the day we disembark.

You have all your meals in your stateroom, or am I misunderstanding?

Oh dear Leucothea......mea culpa!:eek: Must proof read before hitting the submit button!! That should have read all my BREAKFAST meals in my cabin. I love to dress up for dinner far too much to miss it. Sorry for the misleading sentence.

J.....that is carrying room service a tad to the excess, no? ;)

I truly believe room service breakfasts start a cruising day off on just the right foot....I get to ease into the day while lounging on the balcony if possible and am greeted by a smiling cheerful face....no, not my husband......he is long gone to Kings Court to graze his way into the day.:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding!

2012...assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

As an early riser who is usually prowling around the upper decks (somewhere out the back) - just before sunrise (the VERY best part of the day), I usually partake of whatever is on offer in the buffet area before the crowds arrive, and then go down to the MDR for breakfast. The early morning risers that I encounter are usually a very friendly bunch - and recognise fellow travellers. Tact is called for - because some are slow in getting started :). Unfortunately some of them are also smokers - but I forgive them their sin.

Any other early risers here??

Barry

As an early riser who is usually prowling around the upper decks (somewhere out the back) - just before sunrise (the VERY best part of the day), I usually partake of whatever is on offer in the buffet area before the crowds arrive, and then go down to the MDR for breakfast. The early morning risers that I encounter are usually a very friendly bunch - and recognise fellow travellers. Tact is called for - because some are slow in getting started :). Unfortunately some of them are also smokers - but I forgive them their sin.

Any other early risers here??

Barry

In all honestly I have been known to go to bed around the time you appear to be rising. But agreed the ship is wonderful in the wee sma' hours and on QM2 the Kings Court is at its best when few are about - the night crew there are a friendly bunch as are the night pursers, security officers and of course the ever present hoovering department.

M-AR

Archived