Smoking in your cabin . . . .

I am not a smoker, but 2 of the people traveling with us are. We are cruising on the Navigator May 14, 2005. On their reservation, their cabins are listed as "no smoking" cabins. No one asked when we booked if we had a preferance. I didn't think their was such a thing as a non-smoking cabin. Are you allowed to smoke in your cabin on the ship? They have interior cabins. Thanks for the help.

I am not a smoker, but 2 of the people traveling with us are. We are cruising on the Navigator May 14, 2005. On their reservation, their cabins are listed as "no smoking" cabins. No one asked when we booked if we had a preferance. I didn't think their was such a thing as a non-smoking cabin. Are you allowed to smoke in your cabin on the ship? They have interior cabins. Thanks for the help.

RCL recommends "no smoking" in the cabins, however it is not "illegal" and no one will be thrown over board or fined.

Iam sure this thread will start pages and pages on smoking in general, it always has.

I am not aware that you can't smoke in a cabin and I have not heard of a designated non-smoking cabin. But I would say this, and this is not a slam at smokers, other folks will be living in that cabin after you. There is no way to get that smell out of the fabrics qucikly no matter how hard they try. So maybe it woudn't be a bad idea to give some thought to those folks who will live in that cabin in the future. Enough said.

Smoking in an inside cabin? God help whoever comes after them. Can't they just go outside to smoke?

Its attitiudes like yours that make smokers want to smoke in the cabin.

Its attitudes like Ocean Boy that make smokers NOT want to smoke in the cabin.

I am not aware that you can't smoke in a cabin and I have not heard of a designated non-smoking cabin. But I would say this, and this is not a slam at smokers, other folks will be living in that cabin after you. There is no way to get that smell out of the fabrics qucikly no matter how hard they try. So maybe it woudn't be a bad idea to give some thought to those folks who will live in that cabin in the future. Enough said.

Amen! If we could understand each other's needs, we'd be a lot better off. As a non-smoker, I appreciate the smokers who respect the various non-smoking areas on a ship. I have to admit, though, a bit of displeasure with those who willfully disrespect those areas and get angry if asked politely to move to smoking areas

:) I am a smoker but refrain from smoking in the cabin, try to respect the next cruiser. If you need to smoke upgrade to a balcony and smoke outside.

13 cruises RCCL

As a severe asthmatic, I greatly appreciate that. I know I am taking a risk by going on the cruise without knowing for sure that the room I am is non-smoking, so I take my hat off to those like you and say thanks!

:) I am a smoker but refrain from smoking in the cabin, try to respect the next cruiser. If you need to smoke upgrade to a balcony and smoke outside.

13 cruises RCCL

Those that think they are doing everyone a real favor by smoking on the balcony are living in a world unto their own!

We have had several cruises where having a balcony was worthless do the fact that our next door neighbors were smoking their cigars to cover the joint they were really smoking. And then there were those who just smoked their joint.

Oh by the way, I am a former smoker, having had my last cigarette in 1991 while on the beach in Acapulco having a massive heart attack. Trust me I would love to have a cigarette but if that damn thing wouldn't kill me, my wife would!

Please find the tables around the Windjammer to satisfy your habit.

As a Captain on my local fire dept. I have to say there is not a more dangerous place to smoke! An INSIDE cabin on a cruise ship, in the middle of nowhere and have them accidently drift off to sleep with a butt between their fingers, on the bed, I don't even want to think about it!!!

Guest OBAYbee

"What is your smoking policy?

For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, smoking is prohibited onboard most areas of our ships. However, to provide an onboard environment that also satisfies smokers, we have special designated smoking areas in many of our lounges and on all open-air decks."

Sounds like they dont enforce it, but there is their answer on the RCCL website about smoking.

Only time someone smoking bothered me was while I was on our balcony one evening. Someone from an upper deck dropped their cigarette butt and it landed on a very expensive dress and burned it. I was not a happy camper.

Like a previous poster said, I too want to be considerate of the people who will be in our room to follow so I don't smoke in the cabin. On our next cruise,like all cruises,I will go out to the balcony. Oh wait a minute, I cant do that I might offend and irritate my neighbors.

So, it goes back to what another posted said about give-and take. I truely believe that the majority of smokers follow the rules and guidelines and yes there are exceptions.

It always amazes me on this board how a simple question about smoking in a cabin will lead the non-smoking crusaders to begin the "heart attack" stories to be followed by the second-hand lung cancer stories el all.

Here it comes.

Not a smoker, but what about those "smokeless ashtrays" (or whatever they're called)? Do they make a difference in the amount of lingering smell remaining? Just a thought.

(Also, do have to say that I agree that the fire issue is one to take seriously. Please be absolutely certain that your cigarettes are out, and never throw the butt overboard where it is likely to land on the balcony or areas below, not to mention polluting the ocean.)

It's not an issue of whether we want other people to smoke. It's a matter of being considerate of those around us--and that goes both ways. Please don't smoke in the non-smoking areas, and conversely, don't complain if you are in a smoking area and someone is actually smoking.

beachchick

(Also, do have to say that I agree that the fire issue is one to take seriously. Please be absolutely certain that your cigarettes are out, and never throw the butt overboard where it is likely to land on the balcony or areas below, not to mention polluting the ocean.)

It's not an issue of whether we want other people to smoke. It's a matter of being considerate of those around us--and that goes both ways. Please don't smoke in the non-smoking areas, and conversely, don't complain if you are in a smoking area and someone is actually smoking.

beachchick

AMEN! I don't smoke either and tend to avoid it. So I go to the designated non-smoking areas of the ship and tend to avoid the designated smoking areas. All I ask is that if you do smoke, please don't smoke in the non-smoking areas.

Wanted to pass a little information along to passengers that enter their cabins and the room has an odor problem. They have machines that can be put in your room, to take out any type of odor and believe me...it works.

It normally takes two hours and they put a sign on your door and request you not enter the room until the sign is off the door. It takes the smell out of the carpet, curtains, sofa, pillows, mattress, etc.

Always check your room as soon as possible because these machines are taken very quickly. ;)

Wanted to pass a little information along to passengers that enter their cabins and the room has an odor problem. They have machines that can be put in your room, to take out any type of odor and believe me...it works.

It normally takes two hours and they put a sign on your door and request you not enter the room until the sign is off the door. It takes the smell out of the carpet, curtains, sofa, pillows, mattress, etc.

Always check your room as soon as possible because these machines are taken very quickly. ;)

Thanks! Did not know that. Will remember that for my next cruise, although have never had a problem with odors in any cabins I've had.

Thanks! Did not know that. Will remember that for my next cruise, although have never had a problem with odors in any cabins I've had.

You are welcome and hope this helps others as well. We are not smokers and this happened to us, one time. When we entered the room the smell of cigars was really strong. RC acted quickly and the results were amazing...we had no lingering smell. It literally cleans everything in your room :).

Not a smoker, but what about those "smokeless ashtrays" (or whatever they're called)? Do they make a difference in the amount of lingering smell remaining? Just a thought.

beachchick

Funny you mention that "smokeless ashtray". I used to work for the company that manufactured it, we had the George Burns commercial with all the pretty girls around him.

The company is out-of-business and I dont know if that item or anything similar is on the market. It did work, but only filtered the smoke down into the ashtray while the cigarette was sitting on it-duh.

Absolutely, until the laws change, we all have to be considerate of each other, smokers and non-smokers alike. When I gamble, for instance at the black-jack table I know that I can smoke but I dont, I get up, take a break, and go outside to smoke to be considerate of the non-smokers at the table. However, while outside if a person starts "waving" their hands over their face or makes a comment I start thinking I should have just smoked at the BJ table.

Archived