On a limited budget!! :o

jtsbusiness

I lost my husband last year and am doing the cruise we always planned to do in his memory, but this time with my son aged 32. I am on a very limited budget and would love to experience everything, especially seeing the whales and bears if possible.

My question is how to experience 'everything' as cheaply as possible:confused:

We will be on Celebrity Century in May and will be stopping at Icy Strait (3 - 10); Juneau (7.30 am to 8.00 pm) and Ketchikan (2 - 8.30)

I would also like to give my son the WOW factor as he has been so supportive of me during my husbands dreadful illness. He is very athletic and loves adventure whereas I am not quite as mobile as him.

I would greatly appreciate your help and experiences as I can't seem to quite get my normal organisation head into gear and the holiday is looming fast:eek:

I lost my husband last year and am doing the cruise we always planned to do in his memory, but this time with my son aged 32. I am on a very limited budget and would love to experience everything, especially seeing the whales and bears if possible.

My question is how to experience 'everything' as cheaply as possible:confused:

We will be on Celebrity Century in May and will be stopping at Icy Strait (3 - 10); Juneau (7.30 am to 8.00 pm) and Ketchikan (2 - 8.30)

I would also like to give my son the WOW factor as he has been so supportive of me during my husbands dreadful illness. He is very athletic and loves adventure whereas I am not quite as mobile as him.

I would greatly appreciate your help and experiences as I can't seem to quite get my normal organisation head into gear and the holiday is looming fast:eek:

There are some inexpensive excursion ideas here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1016318

also try tripadvisor.com, enter the name of the port and look for things to do.

There are several threads on saving money while cruising, one is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1559019

I don't know your son, but mine would enjoy hiking around Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau or ziplining if that's still available and not too pricey. I don't think I could manage hiking up Mt. Roberts (makes my knees hurt to think of it), though. The Alaskan Brewery and Bottling Company is another place to consider. Send him to TripAdvisor and see what he comes up with.

Good luck, safe travels, and have fun!

I haven't used them as we're mostly hiking in port but I've heard mention of two different coupon books with 2-for-1 coupons for various excursions that might help save you money. You should be able to find info by searching older posts. You'll want to check them out before purchasing as they are a bit pricey if you don't use them.

Also check the Roll Call for your cruise - sometimes people want to share a car or van, with or without a guide, that can result in a lower cost tour for all involved. Hopefully the Roll Call is active enough that you get an idea of their personality to make this a comfortable option if offered.

Enjoy your cruise!

You don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy the ports, but perhaps choose one special excursion as a highlight for your trip. You mentioned whales and bears as special interests so a whale watching excursion in Icy Strait could be your splurge.

In Juneau you can ride the Might Great Tour shuttle bus to Mendenhall Glacier for under $20. Spend a few hours wandering the trails and enjoying the views. You're too early in the season for bear viewing tours but the bears will be active after their long hibernation so watch for them foraging for greens along the trails in Mendenahll. Another option would be to rent a car for the day; drive yourself to Mendenhall then drive along the coast and explore the beach access, watching for eagles, bears and whales. Juneau is surrounded by water so there's not enough road to get terribly lost.

In Ketchikan the visitor booths provide free maps to do a walking tour of the town. The town is lovely and has an interesting history. Take the public bus to Totem Bight park and enjoy the park and views from the waterfront location.

To find more suggestions ... borrow an Alaska travel book from your library, like Frommers or Fodors and learn about the activities available at each port. Also go to the REVIEWS forum and read Member Reviews of PORTS. Many people write detailed reports on what they did at each destination. You can also find information on each town's tourism web page; google a town's name followed by the words visitor information.

http://visit-ketchikan.com/

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

Our first cruise to Alaska was before I discovered Cruise Critic. My husband wanted to go to Alaska. I looked in the Sunday Travel Section, there was an ad for a cruise on HAL for $459 (including airfare from LAX to Anchorage and Vancouver back to LAX). I booked it. Not even knowing what kind of cabin we had, that it was a guarantee. We did that cruise and didn't book one single excursion. We were so thrilled with the ports of Seward, Sitka, sailing Glacier Bay, Juneau, Skagway and Vancouver, we never even thought to book any other excursions. So it's possible to do it on a very tight budget.

Granted that was 12 years ago, so the cruises are more expensive now, but you don't have to spend lots of money to see Alaska.

Juneau has a bus out to Mendenhall for I think around $15. Sitka has a shuttle for $10. Ketchikan has walking tours. Skagway is walkable too.

If your cruise goes to Glacier Bay, excellent. That's all you need to fall in love with Alaska.

Have a great trip!

Juneau - Take public transportation to the Mendenhall Glacier and hike up close the the glacier.

Ketchikan - If your son is interested in totem poles, take the bus to Totem Bight. Depending on when you are there (in downtown Ketchican), you might also see the salmon run.

Good luck

OP, I'm very sorry for your loss. I think a trip to Alaska in memory of your husband is a wonderful idea.

May is too early (probably) for bear viewing and (definitely) too early for salmon runs. But NOT too early for whale watching. Please consider that as a "splurge" for you and your son.

In Ketchikan, you can get a walking tour map from the Visitor Center, see Creek Street, the Totem Heritage Center, the Deer Street Fish Hatchery, all very inexpensive. As another poster mentioned, the bus to Mendenhall is low-cost, and can provide hours of entertainment in Juneau. A quick stop at the Red Dog Saloon for the "tourist" side of Juneau ;) and you've pretty much filled your day. Juneau is also a good port IF you decide to do a whale watch.

We did not spend a lot on excursions. I'll give my insights.

Juneau: Mighty Great Tours Glacier Express to the Mendenhall Glacier. $14pp. Alaska T-Shirt Company had the best prices for souvenirs.

Skagway: Splurged on Chilkoot Charters for a bus trip to Fraser and the White Pass Railroad back to Skagway. The National Park Service leads a very good walking tour (free service).

Cruising Glacier Bay: No extra charge and a blast.

Ketchikan: The only purchase from the ship we made was the Alaskan Lumberjack show ($35 pp). Southeast Alaska Discovery Center was cheap. Ketchikan Walking Tour and Creek Street are "free". Tongass Trading Company had the best prices for souvenirs.

(Edited) ...I lost my husband last year and am doing the cruise we always planned to do in his memory....

I debated about responding. Please bear with me. Some realities come to mind. Many, most? new cruisers are astounded when they see the total charges on their final bill for a cruise during which they felt they were really pinching pennies. There are always, always unintended expenses. I know this is an emotional experience for you. You stated you are on a very limited budget and would (still) like to experience everything...as cheaply as posible...." I am afraid this is not possible unless you spend next to zero for any shore tours, etc., and use the self guided tours "walk-around" tours in ports. Perhaps wait another year to save for a cruise? But if you do go you will have a wonderful time. Again, please. No offense intended.

I debated about responding. Please bear with me. Some realities come to mind. Many, most? new cruisers are astounded when they see the total charges on their final bill for a cruise during which they felt they were really pinching pennies. There are always, always unintended expenses. I know this is an emotional experience for you. You stated you are on a very limited budget and would (still) like to experience everything...as cheaply as posible...." I am afraid this is not possible unless you spend next to zero for any shore tours, etc., and use the self guided tours "walk-around" tours in ports. Perhaps wait another year to save for a cruise? But if you do go you will have a wonderful time. Again, please. No offense intended.

I have to agree & my husband & I "pad" our account - I send extra to the cruise line, so it is like a savings account... Unfortunately, we usually have out of pocket expenses even after that savings strategy.

I have been "freebiequeen" for ? 14 years LOL

I signed up for the Groupons from Anchorage/Seattle and so far have bought 2..

one was a $119 whale watch ..2 for $119...the guy who runs it - Stories and Legends - is great, has been in touch with me.

I also bought an Eithiopian "feast for 4" for $50 for Seattle...4 of us will split that..value $100

I know a lot of people will say toursaver etc...but that doesn't work for me, it seems to be much better for those on a land trip, and for those who are not only "like minded" (ie, couple) but planning expensive excursions like flightseeing and salmon fishing

The bargains for the "ride to summit" and ./or Jewel gardens are not much when you factor in $99 for the book

I hired a van in Skagway thru Trail of 98

One thing that works for me was to figure out what I wanted to see...

ie, whales....yukon/emerald lake...sled pups/cart ride....and then work around that a bit

As others have suggested....you might want one real "splurge"...I am plannning that for Ketchikan with a floatplane/crab fest :)

Alaska is sooo fascinating and so great and vast it is fun just to plan, be sure to get some free planning books from the state itself too

hth

Thank you everyone.

On the spur of the moment I booked a cruise on Celebrity for 13 May two weeks ago, so am afraid I am committed!

I am looking at spoiling us by taking a whale excursion with either Mistey Bay or FISHES at Icy Strait. Has anybody had any dealing with these? Then I thought we could get the bus in Juneau up to the Meadenhall glacier and still open minded about Ketchican.

I keep seeing people talk about vouchers and wonder whether anybody could explain what they are. Being from the UK I have not seen anything about them. Is this something I should be investigating?

I have to agree & my husband & I "pad" our account - I send extra to the cruise line, so it is like a savings account... Unfortunately, we usually have out of pocket expenses even after that savings strategy.

So what are the extras? Drinks (soda, coffee, alcohol), gratuities ($12pp/day) tours, on shore food and drink, gifts for family, transport to and from port, accommodation before and after cruise, pre cruise food, flights. Any others?

I've done whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge in ISP - and it was wonderful! Capt. Dan found us the whales - we were very fortunate to see numerous instances of bubblenet feeding and breaching, one after the other. That is not always the case, so don't go with high expectations, but do go knowing you WILL see whales! Even if just humps, blows and tails. (But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you'll get as lucky as we did!;)), Both Capt. Dan and his wife, Hope, were a pleasure to deal with - via email and on the phone. The picked us up in their van right outside the cannery where the ship's tenders drop you off. Six passenger boat with all the comforts of home, and some darn good homemade cookies to boot:D! The aft covered open area was great for being outside for a closer look at the whales while still remaining relatively dry. The interior of the boat was comfy and dry with padded seats, a table, and a co-captain's chair for your use if you felt like it, along with a small head (bathroom) and galley (kitchen) forward. There is also a crows nest you are welcome to climb up to with a padded bench seat, if weather conditions cooperate - ours did not the day we were there! But we climbed up anyway, just for the views!

I also did a bear search with Misty Bay Lodge after our whale watch - Hope gave my niece and her boyfriend a ride back to the ship's tenders after having lunch with them. Since you are going in May, not the ideal time to see bears, purely by chance I'm told. Of course, we were there during the salmon runs (mid-August) so I saw two bears (up close and personal!) - one was fishing a stream right beneath the bridge we were standing on, and one was eating his way thru a berry patch on the side of the road. Amazing experiences - both the whale watch and the bear search! I'd highly recommend Misty Bay Lodge! You're going to have a wonderful time!

Archived