Itineraries we'd like to see

gdlamberth

I posted a poll on Regent's Board about itineraries we'd like to see at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1592080

and one on length of cruise at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1592440

While we have not cruised Oceania before I thought it might be OK to post the link to these polls on this board. Only thing that is (sort of) Regent specific in the poll is the term "Ring-O-Fire" which is a circle the Pacific intinerary Regent used to do.

I'm not trying to start a Regent -vs-Oceania comparison. Itinerary and timing largely affect our cruise bookings; and would certainly choose Oceania if timing and itinerary were right.

Anyway, please feel free to take a look and vote if you haven't yet.

Greg

Just trying to get a feel across cruisers of (what I perceive as) directly competing "high end" or "luxury" cruise lines. I suspected each of the Cruise Line Boards had done something similar in the past. My goal is to get a "customer centric look" vice a "vendor centric look."

Feel free to ignore.

Greg

ooooh ooohhh and since we would be "so close" let's circumnavigate NZ as well. We've done land cruises of both but would love a cruise all the way around both. A couple of Kiwis did tell me that the sail from Auckland to Sydney can be "exciting" but this was 2 guys from the "City of Sails" so their idea of "exciting" is probably far different than mine!

cbb,

Both Regent and Crystal currently have cruises (actually both have B2Bs) that start in Miami and go to Buenos Aires via the Canal and Santiago (both really are SA circumnavigation crusies). Both scheduled in the January 2013 time frame and both reasonably priced (IMHO). We're on hte Regent one but the Crystal one looks good too.

Greg

cbb,

Both Regent and Crystal currently have cruises (actually both have B2Bs) that start in Miami and go to Buenos Aires via the Canal and Santiago (both really are SA circumnavigation crusies). Both scheduled in the January 2013 time frame and both reasonably priced (IMHO). We're on hte Regent one but the Crystal one looks good too.

Greg

You could check Oceania Regatta leaving Miami Jan 2013 through the Canal and around to Rio

A B2B

We'd like to see Buenos Aires to Santiago via the Panama Canal. One of the O captains said there used to be such an itinerary but that the Antarctic route is currently "in."

In March/April 2010, we were on the cruise (Insignia, I believe) that started in Valparaiso, Chile, went through the canal and ended up in Rio. It was a fabulous 24 day cruise. We enjoyed all of the ports which included an overnight in Peru (Lima) and an overnight on the ship in Rio.

I would like a circumnavigation of Australia -- it doesn't matter how many days as long as it would include some 2-day port stops so that we could see the area.

Billie

Ditto! This would be spectacular. I believe one of the Cunard ships did this or is going to do it, but I'm not sure I would ever sail on Cunard again. We did a westbound TA on the QM2 two years ago and it was fun, but the food was pretty bad.

thanks for the suggestions y'all but I was hoping to avoid going through Antarctica. We love Crystal but no longer wish to do the formal thing which is why we love O. Perhaps TPTB will restore the itinerary that SeniorCitizen sailed and then we'd do a B2B Rio to BA--that would be great. If not, we'll do a land tour.

BTW, those of you who have done Machu Picchu--did you have any problems with altitude? Thanks again everyone! c

Ditto! This would be spectacular. I believe one of the Cunard ships did this or is going to do it, but I'm not sure I would ever sail on Cunard again. We did a westbound TA on the QM2 two years ago and it was fun, but the food was pretty bad.

I agree about the cruise around Australia. I love the people there and they love everybody back. The only time I have seen a grumpy Aussie is when they lost a Test Match to New Zealand. I too will not be too inclined to take another Cunard trip, but let Silver Sea, Seabourn, Norwegian or believe it or not Disney due it and I am in.

The food on the QM2 was worse than bad on our TA east bound. Oh well who ever said the English were great cooks.

Life is too short to drink bad wine and eat bad food. I have never had a bad meal on Air France or a good meal on Delta. Yes I know air plane food is not great.

Spend your kids inheritance enjoy life.

BTW, those of you who have done Machu Picchu--did you have any problems with altitude? Thanks again everyone! c

Some people have more trouble with altitude than others. It generally takes a day or two to acclimate, we all had a terrible headache the first day. On day two I was able to make the long, uphill walk up to Potola Palace in Tibet with no problem at all (I was in my late 50s at the time and definitely not thin) but my husband couldn't deal with it--he spent the day in bed, as did two others (out of 12). I have a friend who is an intrepid, extensive traveler and he can't do altitude at all. I have heard there is medication you can take. Hope this helps.

We visited MP last year. A wonderful trip. My wife has had trouble with altitude sickness in the past when skiing at about 9,000'.....headache mainly. Dr. recommended medication (can't remember name sorry) and she had no trouble at MP or Cuzco.

Normal route to MP is flight to Lima....sea level so no problem. Then flight to Cuzco and train to MP. Cuzco is 11,000' so this could be a problem for 'non altitude' people. MP is only about 7,000' so altitude sickness is less likely. Tip....for a couple of days, take things slowly at altitude and drink lots of water.....also cut down on alcohol.

Archived