Pilot's Choice Glacier landings

Nanner

We're booked on the Pilot's Choice glacier helicopter trip out of Skagway. I was fine with the idea until watching Wide Open Spaces: Alaska on the Travel Channel. Now for some questions:

I know we should make two landings and there will be about 15 minutes on the glacier at each landing. On the television show they were putting cramp ons on their feet, and they were walking on some spots with pretty deep crevasses pretty darn close by.

I had envisioned that we will be on a fairly large flat area, and that I wouldn't be sweating about gorges near where we would walk. As those who have read my prior posts know, I'm more than a tad acrophobic and I figured that I would be able to handle this.

So, is the Pilot's Choice excursion as tame as I thought, or might I be just hanging out by the helicopter while the rest of the gang goes for a walk by some sheer drops?

That was probably the glacier hiking excursion. On the landings, they do give you big boots over your shoes, but no crampons and I certainly didn't see big crevases nearby. I was still very nervous about the spots where I could see blue streams underneath, so I didn't walk much. It was still great. Walk behind the pilot--you can be sure he won't be risking anything! :)

Thanks, CruiseisGood. I'm sure I will not feel really confident if I can see what looks like water under my feet, but will just keep repeating my bicycling mantra. We ride a tandem, and I have no control, all I do is pedal. Whenever we are tearing down a hill at 40+ mph or riding next to a really big truck, I keep saying, sotto voce, "Trust the captain".

Archived