Just back from my first cruise

Brad L

Went for a 5 day cruise aboard the Carnival Ecstasy to the Bahamas along with my wife, 2 of my 3 kids, and 2 more families totaling 14 people. I have to say that it will be VERY hard to take a regular vacation again. I am cruise struck. If anyone has never taken a cruise all I have to say is what the heck are you waiting for?

The thing I find amazing is the staff, they ALL are so very nice, remember your dang name only after meeting you once, never sleep, always in the best of mood. I find this amazing because they work 8 months straight and home 3 or 4. Most have family and even small children they support and they make very little. I looked on my account and they only get really a small tip from everyone for what they do. I took the tip off of my account in order to leave them cash since I thought they may make more that way. The room porter came to my room the morning we left and gave me my final bill and was kinda sad. I asked why and he said "only that I am sorry you didn't like my services this week". I said I loved it what makes you think that? He stated "I noticed you took off tip", I handed him cash and he was happy again.

Anyhow, best vacation of my life and plan on a lot more.

Went for a 5 day cruise aboard the Carnival Ecstasy to the Bahamas along with my wife, 2 of my 3 kids, and 2 more families totaling 14 people. I have to say that it will be VERY hard to take a regular vacation again. I am cruise struck. If anyone has never taken a cruise all I have to say is what the heck are you waiting for?

The thing I find amazing is the staff, they ALL are so very nice, remember your dang name only after meeting you once, never sleep, always in the best of mood. I find this amazing because they work 8 months straight and home 3 or 4. Most have family and even small children they support and they make very little. I looked on my account and they only get really a small tip from everyone for what they do. I took the tip off of my account in order to leave them cash since I thought they may make more that way. The room porter came to my room the morning we left and gave me my final bill and was kinda sad. I asked why and he said "only that I am sorry you didn't like my services this week". I said I loved it what makes you think that? He stated "I noticed you took off tip", I handed him cash and he was happy again.

Cruising is nice but I will never give up my all inclusive vacations. We just use cruising to mix up the vacations. We get the same thing at our all inclusive resorts.

We havent cruise on Carnival in years, is it better to tip in cash?

If you want the steward's boss to think the service was bad so you removed the tips, then yes. :p Otherwise no. We usually leave the auto tips on and tip cash above and beyond that. Amount given depends on the service.

I always leave the prepay gratuities on my account, which I prepay. And if someone goes above and beyond, I give them cash at the end. Last month on Glory, 9 of us gave our MDR staff each 60 in cash as a group above the already paid. I gave my steward an extra 40 in cash, for the two us for the week.

I always have wonderful service, from full ice bucket to extra chocolates when wanted. MDR staff runs their butts off and deserve when they always have time to chat about our days in port! They work hard and deserve it, the staff is a HUGE part of the success of the cruise line.

We havent cruise on Carnival in years, is it better to tip in cash?

There will be mega opinions/debates on this lovely subject, but IMO...

NO it is not "better". This is why they established an auto-tip system that works well, is fair, and is convenient for their guests. Many people leave the auto-tips on, and give a little extra cash to the room steward or wait staff; it's a personal choice. Others take the tips off SAYING they will tip in cash (yeah, right), and then they get to run around & track down all the wonderful folks who serviced them during their cruise to give them cash. I doubt they ever find all the people who provided service deserving of their tips. And yet others will get hung up on a dollar or two a day that they insist must be removed. :rolleyes:

To each his own on the tipping thing. We will never come close to reaching a consensus, LOL!!

Brad, so glad you had fun on the Ecstasy cruise to the Bahamas. We're on that cruise in May and I can't wait! (Second time on Ecstasy, which I thought was a great ship!)

Cruising certainly can be addicting and it sounds like you are a new addict. Welcome to the club!

There will be mega opinions/debates on this lovely subject, but IMO...

NO it is not "better". This is why they established an auto-tip system that works well, is fair, and is convenient for their guests. Many people leave the auto-tips on, and give a little extra cash to the room steward or wait staff; it's a personal choice. Others take the tips off SAYING they will tip in cash (yeah, right), and then they get to run around & track down all the wonderful folks who serviced them during their cruise to give them cash. I doubt they ever find all the people who provided service deserving of their tips. And yet others will get hung up on a dollar or two a day that they insist must be removed. :rolleyes:

To each his own on the tipping thing. We will never come close to reaching a consensus, LOL!!

I think some just think along the lines of the wait staff at restaurants that must declare their tips and some places must even share tips with other staff that might not have had anything to do with the service they provided.

Brad great that you had an awesome experience on your first cruise.

I think what people are trying to say is that there is still a small portion of the auto-tips from each passenger that goes to the "behind the scenes" employees. When you remove the auto-tips and just give to your dining room staff, room steward or your favorite bartender etc...the "behind the scenes" employees are missing out. I too always leave the auto-tips on and then tip above for those that made an impression on me. I certainly wouldn't be able to take the total amount of tips for my family of 5 and divide it as it should be divided to those that deserve it.

Let's remember, this post is about how great Brad L's first cruise was.....no tipping.....just a tip there....lol

Oh, but tipping threads are so much more fun! :D

Brad opened the door, and who can resist a good tipping thread. And besides, the spring break threads are getting old, LOL.:D

Glad you had an awesome cruise, Brad. I remember being totally amazed on our first cruise with the staff & crew as well. We could hardly stop talking about it. Uh oh, I think this is leading me back to tipping for amazing service.....

We took our first family cruise back in October 2011 on the Valor. We were cruise struck too! I am biting at the bit to get us all back on a ship!!

That was probably our best vacation to date in relaxation and adventure!

We have 4 kids, two in high school and two in elementary, its so hard to entertain everyone at one time with that age gap. On the cruise we had no such issue. :D There was something for everyone!

So, Brad, when's the next cruise?? :) I know exactly what you mean about never seeing vacation the same way after the first time you go on a cruise. All our family vacations before our first cruise had been at the beach in our timeshare condo -enjoyable but not relaxing.

Welcome to being addicted, but WHERE ARE THE PICTURES????? LOL

I know what you mean, I've recently been bite by the cruise bug as well. :D

I had wanted to cruise for a long time but the thought of being in the middle of the ocean terrified me. So finally in 2010 for my 40th birthday I decided to put on my big girl panties & booked a 3 night cruise to get over my fear. Well I had a great time & was disappointed it was so short. Last year I did an 8 night cruise & absolutely loved every minute of it. This year I have a 5 night cruise coming up (hoping my first timer family falls in love as well) & a 4 night girls getaway booked. Have one booked for DD's birthday in April 2013 & patiently waiting for more June dates so I can book my birthday cruise. And I'm already thinking about Alaska for 2014, so yeah I agree about it being hard to take a regular vacation again.

Let's remember, this post is about how great Brad L's first cruise was.....no tipping.....just a tip there....lol

Exactly, and it was a first cruise so maybe they didn't understand about what the downside is of not keeping the auto tips in place and tipping extra for great service. It sounded to me like he wanted to give more and thought he was doing the right thing. :) So, hopefuly, lesson learned. Don't remove the auto tips and tip extra if you want to for extra special service.

So, Brad, when's the next cruise?? :) I know exactly what you mean about never seeing vacation the same way after the first time you go on a cruise. All our family vacations before our first cruise had been at the beach in our timeshare condo -enjoyable but not relaxing.

Looking at taking one over Christmas. The boys said they would rather do that and sacrifice a portion of there Christmas presents.

As far as the tip goes I know (as in the restaurant industry) tips on cards are actually payed less than in cash so I thought they would appreciate cash better. Guess thats what I get for thinking, my wife always tells me that I am not allowed to think, guess now I know why, LOL.

We really only had 2 others that brought us stuff on deck since we were at the same location all week and they were taken care of as well.

I am still new to this site so don't know how to post pictures yet. How do you do that? Or do I need to ask my 12 year old?

Archived