Using wifi only on iPhone

Artemis908

I want to be able to use my iPhone while in Europe but only through wi-fi since AT&T doesn't offer very good plans for international travel (no free roaming).

I want to be super safe about not accidentally allowing my phone to roam/accept calls/accept data. So to turn that all off I would need to...

Go to settings>Network

Turn off Enable 3G, Celluar Data, and Data Roaming.

Is that all? And does my phone keep these settings even if I turn the phone off and on again?

I want to be able to use my iPhone while in Europe but only through wi-fi since AT&T doesn't offer very good plans for international travel (no free roaming).

I want to be super safe about not accidentally allowing my phone to roam/accept calls/accept data. So to turn that all off I would need to...

Go to settings>Network

Turn off Enable 3G, Celluar Data, and Data Roaming.

Is that all? And does my phone keep these settings even if I turn the phone off and on again?

I use Android, so mine may be different. But, I go to Settings> where I can turn off Wifi, Hotspot, Network, etc. The phone should not change its settings when you turn it off/on. However, if you are worried, you could do a test drive and find out in neutral territory.

I used my iphone in Italy. I paid a fee to have a few mb for the week so I only turned wifi on when I used it(as you described above).When I finished with the internet,I would turn wifi off. The phone will remain in whatever setting you have it set to,even if you turn it off or on. I was able to use internet for free in wifi free zones.I am a Verizon user and not familiar with At&T. I would call them and double check that even in a wifi free zone you won't be charged a roaming fee or how to do that correctly. My Verizon rep told me that if didn't use it correctly, according to how much mb's I use daily,my bill for messing up would be over $400.00 a day!!I actually had directions in my wallet, just to use as a back up! Have a great trip!-Kade

Also put the phone in airplane mode. when not using wifi.

If yowant to really make sure take the simcard out of the phone. DId this with my 3GS last month in Rome.

And does my phone keep these settings even if I turn the phone off and on again?

Yes it does.......but I'm not sure if that will keep it from accepting phone calls (but it does prevent data usage (roaming) except in a WiFi zone). That's what I did with my iPhone in Spain.

I am not the OP, but I want to use my Iphone for calls because I have given this number to tour operators, airlines, etc. I do not want to get hit with roaming data charges (though I will look into the size of the fee mentioned by Kadey). I assumed that if I just shut off the data roaming as described by the OP that this would take care of it. Is that correct?

I am not sure what a sim card is and how I get it out of the phone. I have Verizon, does that make a difference?

Just got back from Paris and had the same situation. Here's how I did it:

Settings>Airplane Mode> On

Settings>WiFi>On>Choose the network to which you want to connect

Because you are in airplane mode, you won't get any cellular signals (phone calls or texts), but turning on the WiFi will allow you to surf the web and run apps as long as you are in range of your WiFi network. If you return back to the range of that network, it will connect again automatically.

You should also go to

Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data>Off

This makes sure you don't get any unintended cellular signals.

Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming>Off

This makes sure you don't get any cellular data that will incur roaming charges.

I am not the OP, but I want to use my Iphone for calls because I have given this number to tour operators, airlines, etc. I do not want to get hit with roaming data charges (though I will look into the size of the fee mentioned by Kadey). I assumed that if I just shut off the data roaming as described by the OP that this would take care of it. Is that correct?

I am not sure what a sim card is and how I get it out of the phone. I have Verizon, does that make a difference?

Yes, if you want to be able to make and receive calls but not get data roaming charges, do what the OP recommended.

Verizon doesn't have sim cards. (I'm not even sure that ATT does on an iPhone.)

Yes, AT&T has SIM cards in the iPhones. There is a tiny little hole next to the earphone plug in the top. Put a small paperclip (unbent) in there and press down. A little tray will slide out with the SIM card in it. I discovered this through an internet search when I was trying to save my "fell in the water" 3Gs. I now have a 4s, as the old one's brain got shorted out.

Verizon doesn't have sim cards. (I'm not even sure that ATT does on an iPhone.)

Verizon didn't have SIM cards in the past except for some 'world phones' that worked on both CDMA domestically, and GSM in certain overseas countries. Now however, Verizon 4GLTE phones like my Motorola Razor do have a SIM card....

I think all Iphones have a sim card but the phone is locked to the service provider, ATT or Verizon. In Europe most people buy a phone and sim card separately and the cost for service is much less.

It is possible to unlock the phone to use any sim card and there are providers that offer cheap phone use in Europe. Just do a goggle search for unlock Iphone and sim cards.

Another note about unlocking. There are programs on offer to unlock the phone yourself. I don't have the technical knowledge to trust my self with this. I know there can be problems and would rely on a local Iphone repair service to do it. Actually, I have upgraded from a perfectly good 3g to a 4s and plan on unlocking the 3g just for this purpose. This post reminded me to do it.

Archived