Will I regret a HC inside on Alaska ??

We are booked for Alaska June 2013. We booked an inside HC accessible room for 3. Inside reg next door for my parents.

My question is - Will I regret that I am not in a baloncy?? It was over $2k more and I just can't seem to spending that much more. I would rather keep for tours, but am I wrong?

PLEASE tell me your feeling as everyone always seems to know more than me.

Thanks for any input.

While the balcony is nice there is plenty of space on the decks to enjoy the beauty of Alaska. The decks can at times be a bit crowded but I would not consider it to bad. I would say you will be fine use the $2000 for a couple nice excrusions.

We did Alaska in an interior and do not regret it at all! Saving the money for excursions is a great idea because they are pricey.

The only day I wished we had a balcony was glacier bay because the public decks were a little crowded, but it certainly wouldn't have been worth $2000 for one day!!

We are booked for Alaska June 2013. We booked an inside HC accessible room for 3. Inside reg next door for my parents.

My question is - Will I regret that I am not in a baloncy?? It was over $2k more and I just can't seem to spending that much more. I would rather keep for tours, but am I wrong?

PLEASE tell me your feeling as everyone always seems to know more than me.

Thanks for any input.

If no one occupying the HC Cabin has a medical and or physical need to be booked in the cabin , than under the Federal Laws that went into effect as of January 1, 2012, you may regret your decision. However if you have legitimately booked this cabin due to medical and or physical need than I think you would enjoy having the extra money for excursions which are quite costly for Alaska.

As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly refered to as DOT) became effective that requires that the the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Though this new regulation came about in 2010/2011 , the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply to these new regulations . Because of this new law Cruise lines have also had to reclassify there HC cabins as demonstrated on RCCL's website when booking a cabin. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Due to this new law effective January 1, 2012 RCCL had to reclassified their HC to be a seperate catagory. Based on the new laws RCCL now requires that anyone booking a HC cabin certify that someone that will be occupying that cabin actually requires the features of that cabin. Under the new laws the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

The reason the laws were changed to begin were because Able Body people were fraudulently booking HC cabins to get the extra space .

Wow, this is tough, in the end it's your budget and if you need a special cabin, you may not have a lot of options.

Unlike a Caribbean cruise; you wan't be spending time sunning on a balcony anyway:D...but during the sea days there are so many beautiful things to see. It's really more like an excursion, often a naturalist is narrating over the speakers or on your TV what you might be seeing. And it can be cool, so while you can go out to public balcony, having your own balcony is nice because you can duck in and warm up and then pop out if you hear about or see something interesting.

One idea is to get one balcony cabin and an interior near it. That way your whole party can meet on the balcony during the cruising times and still save a little $. Otherwise this class of ship has soooo many lounges and interior areas with views outside, you will find plenty of places to enjoy the views and stay toasty. I just prefer the photos, sounds and smells that you get being outside!

Plenty of folks go in interiors and have a lovely time and if it's the way you can afford to go...do it! When my kids were 5 and 7 I got an opportunity to join my husband in Australia, but I could only go for 1 week. Everyone says its plain old CRAZY to go to OZ from eastern US for one week; but it was all I could do and I had an amazing time and am not at all sorry I did it.:D

I would never cruise an itinerary where something other than the ocean was available for viewing, without a balcony. Imagine waking up and seeing whales play, or any of the other amazing things that could happen. You lose all that in an interior. OTOH, budgets need to be met.

We had the same dilemma last year. The balcony was so much more expensive that we did finally opt for an inside cabin on the Radiance. We chose to use the extra money to pay for all the excursions we wanted. A balcony would have been nice but we did fine with an inside. (We had always had a balcony previously.)

When we weren't in a port, we spent most waking hours up on deck or somewhere with a view. When we were at Hubbard Glacier we were out front on the helicopter pad. Having the 360 degree view was breathtaking. We would do the same thing if we had to do it over again. I understand that not everyone feels this way so weigh the pros and cons with your family to determine what is most important to you.

If you go to the Alaska board, you'll find this question posed often with many differing views for responses.

You'll have an amazing time in Alaska no matter what.

THANK YOU for making me feel so much better. I was hoping this is what others would say. This will be our first HC cabin, as before we have just stayed in reg inside. But as husband will most likely take scooter / walker / wheelchair we figured this would be easier.

I am looking forward to this room and really do not plan to stay in it much, except for sleeping anyways.

THANKS AGAIN :)

If no one occupying the HC Cabin has a medical and or physical need to be booked in the cabin , than under the Federal Laws that went into effect as of January 1, 2012, you may regret your decision. However if you have legitimately booked this cabin due to medical and or physical need than I think you would enjoy having the extra money for excursions which are quite costly for Alaska.

As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly refered to as DOT) became effective that requires that the the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Though this new regulation came about in 2010/2011 , the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completely comply to these new regulations . Because of this new law Cruise lines have also had to reclassify there HC cabins as demonstrated on RCCL's website when booking a cabin. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Due to this new law effective January 1, 2012 RCCL had to reclassified their HC to be a seperate catagory. Based on the new laws RCCL now requires that anyone booking a HC cabin certify that someone that will be occupying that cabin actually requires the features of that cabin. Under the new laws the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

The reason the laws were changed to begin were because Able Body people were fraudulently booking HC cabins to get the extra space .

Thank you for the information, but my husband does have MS and needs this type room for his scooter, walker, wheelchair. It will be our first time in a HC and I would never take it if he did not need it, after 5 cruises in reg inside rooms, I am looking forward to more room myself.

2 grand, for me, is a whole other cruise! There is NO WAY I would pay that for a balcony! Not even on an Alaskan cruise!

Have you checked out OV's? If you are going to be on the Radiance, the deck 4 accessible OV's are very nice and may be reasonably priced! :)

At the risk of my mother "killing me" for putting what she calls a terible pic of her on the world wide web, here are pics of the deck 4 accessible Oceanview :) We had # 4008.

I understand these cabins have flat screen LCD TVs now........This was pre dry dock.

cruisepictures028.jpg

cruisepictures025.jpg

cruisepictures024.jpg

Thank you for the information, but my husband does have MS and needs this type room for his scooter, walker, wheelchair. It will be our first time in a HC and I would never take it if he did not need it, after 5 cruises in reg inside rooms, I am looking forward to more room myself.

I too have MS. Because your post did not state that you required a HC that's why my post also stated "However if you have legitimately booked this cabin due to medical and or physical need than I think you would enjoy having the extra money for excursions which are quite costly for Alaska."

I don't think you'll regret it, and since you have already stayed in an interior you know you like them. Plus, as you said, you can use that extra $$ for excursions.

We did the balcony for a few reasons. The main one is that the cruise was my present to my husband for his 30th birthday. I knew he would prefer it over others. It was nice waking up and enjoying the view with a cup of coffee. It was easier for me to go in to the cabin for a little bit to warm up (while he stayed outside). BUT...I also knew that we wouldn't be booking the expensive excursions.

My question is - Will I regret that I am not in a balcony??

Does light wake you up? You won't have that problem in an inside cabin. Sunrise in June in Alaska is pretty early!

While we enjoyed our balcony quite a bit on our Alaska cruise, you won't "regret it" one bit. I will continue to recommend it for anyone who is looking to book Alaska, but as the PPs have all said, there are plenty of areas on deck to enjoy the scenery. You will be much more comfortable in a HC accessible room given your party's restrictions.

My party of 12 where on the NCL Pearl back in August 2011 and we all had inside cabins. We did the inside passage Alaskan cruise. When we visited Glacier Bay there was a Park ranger giving description and narration of what we where seeing. You had to be on deck to hear it. Don't think balcony people could hear it. We where always on deck if there was something to see. We too saved money by not having a balcony and used it for excursions like the White Pass Railroad, Mendenhal Glacier. For your information the White Pass Railroad is handicap accessable. Almost every car has a lift.

My party of 12 where on the NCL Pearl back in August 2011 and we all had inside cabins. We did the inside passage Alaskan cruise. When we visited Glacier Bay there was a Park ranger giving description and narration of what we where seeing. You had to be on deck to hear it. Don't think balcony people could hear it. We where always on deck if there was something to see. We too saved money by not having a balcony and used it for excursions like the White Pass Railroad, Mendenhal Glacier. For your information the White Pass Railroad is handicap accessable. Almost every car has a lift.

If you are in your own cabin it's usually on your tv, if you turn it up you can hear it from the balcony easily

Archived