Airfare-buy it separate or include in package

Sarpy1

We are thinking about taking a 4 day cruise next December and need some advice on what you think is better.

We will be traveling with our 4 yr old grandson and trying to figure out should we book our airfare separate and go down the day before or just put the airfare in our package. We have traveled both ways before, but need to see what would work best with a 4 year old.

Since we are looking December, not sure if we would save a whole lot by doing it separate

Thanks for the advice.....:)

We are thinking about taking a 4 day cruise next December and need some advice on what you think is better.

We will be traveling with our 4 yr old grandson and trying to figure out should we book our airfare separate and go down the day before or just put the airfare in our package. We have traveled both ways before, but need to see what would work best with a 4 year old.

Since we are looking December, not sure if we would save a whole lot by doing it separate

Thanks for the advice.....:)

Personally I would do it separate and go down the day before especially with a 4 year old. You are in control of flights times etc when you book (barring weather, delays etc). We did it once and NEVER again - absolute horror story for us - they book flight connects so tight that you have mere minutes to make connections - even if everything goes perfectly. The 4 year old will be excited enough and thrown off their schedule you don't want to add flight problems to the mix. Just my opinion though - others have never had a problem

I think it would depend on which airlines your are planning to use. From what my PVP told me, the airfare booked with the cruise is not really competitively priced, meaning you could probably find cheaper rates on your own. Also, from what I have read on the board, they may book you on flight with very little leadway for delays etc. My thoughts, book your airfare separate yourself for the best rates, and plan to fly in the day before.

I've booked both ways before but unless there was a very substantial savings in this case I'd book my flights myself - you'll be able to better determine exactly what time you fly, how many plane changes you'll have, how long your layovers will be, etc.

Except for International travel, where cruise air can be substantially cheaper, you will likely be able to find air on your own at a lower price than quoted by the cruise line. You also have control over airline, flight times, and seat selection at the time of booking if you do it yourself, which is a major plus.

The downside is you must pay for the air (non refundable) when you book it, whereas with cruise air you can delay payment for air until the cruise final payment is due. Can be an issue if you book air really early and something changes.

In most cases, if you fly in a day or two earlier, the flights are cheaper. We saved enough by flying in two days earlier to pay for the hotel stay. With a 4 year old, I would go in earlier just so they wouldn't be too worn out by the time they get to the ship. It will be hectic for a tot to fly in, get on a shuttle, stand in line checking in, then all the hustle and bustle when you first board.

I've read some horrors stories on here from others who have taken Carnival air and had lots of issues, for that alone I'd book my own. I also prefer to fly down the day before and start my vacation early. Less stress to wake up in a hotel, have breakfast and head to the port. Any delays in your flight and it could lead to a very hectic day. Not worth it to me

As you can see from the posts, just about everyone says buy your own air. I'm no different. One time we had Carnival air booked and we found out that they would probably fly us into Miami on the same day as the cruise. We were flying out of Canada in the WINTER! I asked my TA if they were nuts and she said no that they do that all the time. Well not for me. We cancelled their air and bought our own and flew in 2 days early to avoid weather issues - it does tend to snow up here in February.

Do your own air, I can almost guarantee you'll find it cheaper on line and you can fly in the day before for a relaxing pre-cruise stay. Use kayak.com to find the best flights.

Enjoy your cruise.

CCL books flights sometimes arriving the afternoon of the cruise and there have been instances where PAX missed the ship because of delays. I've read CCL assumes no liability because flight is provided by a third party, even though CCL booked the flight. I always shop around online and find the best option flying in at least a day early. Sometimes its worth it to fly into a nearby city and arrange a rental or shuttle.

I have found it is much cheaper to buy my own tickets. Plus you can pick the time and flight you actually want. We always fly in the day before, you never know with airlines these days. Just look at it as 1 extra vacation day:p

Book separately. My package was to include a day in Seattle, an overnight and be transported to Vancouver the next day to board. SURE!!! Arrived in Seattle at bedtime, ( saw the lights while landing!) had to be up early to catch a bus which barely made it to port mechanically.

As you can see from the posts, just about everyone says buy your own air. I'm no different. One time we had Carnival air booked and we found out that they would probably fly us into Miami on the same day as the cruise. We were flying out of Canada in the WINTER! I asked my TA if they were nuts and she said no that they do that all the time. Well not for me. We cancelled their air and bought our own and flew in 2 days early to avoid weather issues - it does tend to snow up here in February.

Do your own air, I can almost guarantee you'll find it cheaper on line and you can fly in the day before for a relaxing pre-cruise stay. Use kayak.com to find the best flights.

Enjoy your cruise.

I book my own air as well because I want to control the flight times and usually its cheaper. But it used to be that Carnival would hold the ship for you if you booked their air and the flights were late. I can remember that this was a big selling point for them in having you book their air packages. Sounds like this is not longer the case. I can remember one time leaving out of San Juan on the Inspiration and they held the ship past 11 pm on a 10 oclock sailing when somebody's flight was delayed.

We always book our Airfare seperate.Being from Canada a lot of the flights from Toronto are non stop.If we book flights with the cruise co. they have at least one stop.Secondly when we cruise the Caribbean it is winter & fly either one day or two days early to catch some heat & relax before getting on the ship.When we cruise in the Med we want direct flights out of Canada.Several of our carriers are non stop.Some of the other carriers are either 1 or sometimes 2 stops.This sometimes takes you 17 hours to venice instead of 10 hrs direct.Our Aug cruise aboard the Breeze is a day early direct to Venice & return from Barcelona in Sept direct after a 2 night stay.

I book myself so I can get my freq flyer miles. One trip wont be enough to get a free ticket but, with it being so easy to earn miles you can bank enough for a free ticket in a short amount of time.

As others have said, booking yourself also gives you the ability to control (to a degree) the route (ability to avoid certain airports), layover time (if needed) and arrival/dep times.

Also, if flying in early (I don't always do it. I live in Houston and the IAH-MIA/FLL flight are numerous on AA and United. But to each his own) don't forget to sign up for and get hotel points for the hotel you are staying at. (You can also book though the airlines web site and get airline points if you like).

All the programs are free and only take a minute or two to sign up for so take advantage of them. It might take a few years to get enough points/miles to take a nice trip, but, making a long flight up front in the big comfy seats using only miles sure is nice.:D

Archived