Embarking Brisbane terminal

karoo

I have read on a few cruise reviews on different sites that they had to line up for 2 hours when embarking. I don't do lines well. What would be a good time to embark to avoid the long line. My ticket sais to embark at 11 am . Would love any information from people who have started their cruise for the Dawn out of Brisbane.

We have never had to line up more than ten minutes to drop off luggage, then another ten minutes to check in. We like to board early so we can drop our hand luggage in the cabin and head off for lunch.

The luggage drop-off is outside the building - to the left of the main door. After leaving your luggage go inside the building to the check-in area. Have a pen with you to fill out the health questionnaire. At check-in you will be given an embarkation number. The earliest arrivals receive embarkation group A cards. While waiting you can either sit down in the waiting area or wander off to a coffee shop in the buildings next door. We usually arrive around 10am, then by the time we have completed all the formalities, there is only a short wait until embarkation begins at 10.45am (the usual start time). Once embarkation starts it will run quickly.

If you can't be at the terminal around 10am and you don't like waiting, it is probably better to arrive around 12noon. The busiest time will be from 10.45am until around 11.30am. With a 2pm scheduled departure I think the last check-in would be before 1pm.:D

Have a great cruise.:):)

Thanks for your helpful info. We might drop our baggage off early, then shop/walk around the area until 12.00 or a little after, so hopefully we can avoid the initial rush.:)

If you arrive around 10 and drop off your bags, I suggest you check-in and get your embarkation group number. The number will be an early one (A or B). Then you can walk around and if you come back after 11 or so, you will be able to walk straight through and on to the ship. If embarkation has reached a later group (say D) when you come back and you are holding an earlier number, you can go straight through and board.:)

There are no lines at Portside - because there is heaps of seating inside the building where you sit down until your boarding number is called. I have boarded ships in 5 places , Sydney OPT, Sydney Barangaroo, Brisbane Portside , Brisbane Grain terminal and Southampton UK. Without a doubt in my mind, Brisbane Portside is the best, followed closely by Brisbane Grain terminal. Southampton and Sydney OPT come equal last place by a long way.

Barry

How long do you have to sit though to wait for your number?

That depends on what number you are allocated - the earlier you drop off your luggage, the earlier number you get. We have never waited more than an hour.

Barry

There are no lines at Portside - because there is heaps of seating inside the building where you sit down until your boarding number is called. I have boarded ships in 5 places , Sydney OPT, Sydney Barangaroo, Brisbane Portside , Brisbane Grain terminal and Southampton UK. Without a doubt in my mind, Brisbane Portside is the best, followed closely by Brisbane Grain terminal. Southampton and Sydney OPT come equal last place by a long way.

Barry

Is Barangaroo Wharf 5 somewhere in the middle? :)

Barangaroo Wharf 5 is "in the middle". Inferior, in my view, to Portside - as Portside has an airconditioned permanent building and easy access to shops and coffee/cafes/restaurants .

Barry

Barangaroo Wharf 5 is "in the middle". Inferior, in my view, to Portside - as Portside has an airconditioned permanent building and easy access to shops and coffee/cafes/restaurants .

Barry

I agree, but in terms of efficient operation of the terminal or waiting times for the passengers, I don't think there is much difference between Portside and the big white tent at Barangaroo.

I agree, but in terms of efficient operation of the terminal or waiting times for the passengers, I don't think there is much difference between Portside and the big white tent at Barangaroo.

Agree :) The "big white tent" operation for QM2's visit in 2011 in White Bay was about the same - except that they had a violin quartet for entertainment while the boarding passengers waited :p

Barry

Agree :) The "big white tent" operation for QM2's visit in 2011 in White Bay was about the same - except that they had a violin quartet for entertainment while the boarding passengers waited :p

Barry

OK - haven't had the violet quartet. :D The big white tent at Wharf 5 lacks such sophisticated amenities. We haven't even been there long enough to use the porta loos.

we wanted to buy some soft drink before we board at Portside - do the shops next door have supermarkets? We were also going to catch up with family from Brisbane before boarding - recommended places to eat in the Portside shops?

we wanted to buy some soft drink before we board at Portside - do the shops next door have supermarkets? We were also going to catch up with family from Brisbane before boarding - recommended places to eat in the Portside shops?

Yes - there is an IGA supermarket. The fish and chips/seafood cafe is very good - expensive (as seafood is) , but good quality. They have a range of Australian fish.

Barry

there are thre day time places to eat and drink two take away sort of coffee food places and the fish and chip shop, and plus the iga, there is a resturant up stairs and a movie thearter.

Hi all,

Mrssoexcited, On all of my cruises from Brisbane wharf I have had the taxi stop at the coles supermarket ( a standard -stock everything supermarket )up the road from the wharf, on the way from the airport. It would cost maybe a $1 more for the driver to wait while you pick up whatever you want. Just google coles stores hamilton-racecourse road. I print out the map and hand it to the driver:)

Enjoy your cruise !

Fiona

:)

Hi all,

Mrssoexcited, On all of my cruises from Brisbane wharf I have had the taxi stop at the coles supermarket ( a standard -stock everything supermarket )up the road from the wharf, on the way from the airport. It would cost maybe a $1 more for the driver to wait while you pick up whatever you want. Just google coles stores hamilton-racecourse road. I print out the map and hand it to the driver:)

Enjoy your cruise !

Fiona

:)

great advice:D

Archived