Special Moments on the Holland America Line

RevNeal

Carol and Greg both were so kind to e-mail it to me and neither worked.

I would have liked to watch the video. :)

Have you checked your email? ;) Do you have a default media player set up on your PC? Perhaps "Windows Media Player"?

I have to put my little guy to bed, but check to see if you have one set up?

Have you checked your email? ;) Do you have a default media player set up on your PC? Perhaps "Windows Media Player"?

I have to put my little guy to bed, but check to see if you have one set up?

I have window's media player, but also have Window's XP as Sail has..It downloaded but would not play..

Wonder if having Window's XP is the reason why we can't get it to play..

Betty

Well Greg, since you asked us to share some of our memorable HAL moments, here's one you also experienced. It is truly in a different vein than your original post, but how often does one get to feel an earthquake while onboard a ship? Definitely something to remember.

The Zaandam had anchored off of Kona, Hawaii when 7-something earthquake occurred pretty darn close. I know we've never felt a ship shake like that! :eek: Considering ships are built for movement, it was something to see lights and ceiling tiles drop from the ceiling. We were so much better off than those on land vacations (and residents) though. As the CD said, at least we still had power, A/C, and the bars were open.

A Very kind CC'er, in addition to Greg, helped me to see the video. I felt bad to not be able to play it.

My thanks for the help. I really appreciate it and enjoyed seeing it.

Thanks, everybody, for your kinds words in response to my sharing the story of this baptism. It was a special event, and since it hadn't been generally reported at any length here on CC I thought I'd do that now that we're nearly to the end of Lent.

I've had the blessing, honor, and joy to be a part of many wonderful events while aboard ship, serving as chaplain, and as just a run-of-the-mill passenger. It's always my pleasure to be there. And, it was my pleasure to share this story with all of you.

NOW ...

Sail has shared a powerful memorable moment when she and her husband were invited to be Mariner Ambassador's in the consecration of the Noordam Bell. Since I was also present for that event, and captured a video burst of it on my camera, I was happy to share that with the board too.

And, Mary Ellen has shared a story of a memorable moment that I was also present for ... the Earthquake off Hawaii while aboard the Zaandam and the "Voyage of the Spammed" group cruise. That was both an unfortunate event and a startling event ... it felt like the ship was shaking to bits. Who would have ever thought that one could feel an earthquake as the vibrations perpetrated up the anchor chain. Wild!

Does anybody have other stories, special events, memorable occasions to share from their cruises aboard HAL?

Here's a link to a Windows Media Version of the file.

If you find it a little fuzzy, decrease the size of the image and that will help. Increased in size, like this, it can be a bit pixelated.

http://www.revneal.org/Resources/ccimages/noordambellblessing.wmv

Thank you Rev. Neal...I was able to see the video on My Media player..

What a wonderful experience for Sail & her husband..

Thanks again for sharing your lovely stories with us..

Cheers...:)Betty

Many thanks Rev Neal. It was easily our best day at sea.

Maggie is now a robust little toddler and has started walking and talking. I will keep your lovely post to show her when she gets older.

best wishes from Maggie's Mum and Dad in Dubai.

Maggie is now a robust little toddler and has started walking and talking. I will keep your lovely post to show her when she gets older.

Oh, THANK YOU for posting! It was, truly, a wonderful day and my honor to serve!

Oh my.....

How wonderful to hear from you.

We have had such pleasure reading about your beautiful daughter's baptism on Noordam. :)

How nice you posted.

May Maggie always have fair winds and a smooth sea through life.

Greg-of all the special moments you have had on HAL ships, this had the be the most special of all. I know it is the one I will always associate with you, even though I wasn't there. It is a true memorable event for all who were present.

Thank you, Bill! I pray you and Virginia are doing well. Hope to have time to see in sometime this summer when I'm in town.

Hi, Greg. Ever since you asked for more "sacred" stories, I've been mentally reviewing all my cruises. There was one instance that may come under your heading, albeit in a less than happy fashion.

My husband and I were on what we didn't know would be his last cruise back in '98. It was the Veendam NE/Canada cruise from NYC to Montreal. He couldn't understand why I wanted to take a cruise through our home country. I wanted to see home through the eyes of a tourist.

We were heading into Halifax, but as soon as we awoke, I knew something was wrong. We happened to have an outside cabin, and I looked out to see many ships traveling in parallel lines, as if in a grid.

A Swiss Air flight had gone down, and we were part of the rescue mission.

As the day went on, we were moved to search a different area, and it became a "recovery" mission. Passengers on deck were asked to point to debris rising to the surface, while crew in tenders followed our directions and picked up whatever floated to the top.

Eventually, we were released from further duty. Before we sailed away there was a ceremony to remember the victims. Prayers were said, and a floral wreath was dropped into the sea. It was a fitting ending to what had been an emotional day. And we felt we had been part of something important.

Do you think about it much?

Can't say that I do, as you notice it took me a couple of days to think to post it.

That was so many lifetimes ago.

But it was also the cruise when I was awarded my "first" silver medallion (old style). It so happened there was a group of former airline people on the cruise, and I had gotten friendly with many of them. They felt it very personally when the plane went down, and expected they knew some of the flight crew.

They also were my own cheering section when I received my medallion! :D

Hi, Greg. Ever since you asked for more "sacred" stories, I've been mentally reviewing all my cruises. There was one instance that may come under your heading, albeit in a less than happy fashion.

My husband and I were on what we didn't know would be his last cruise back in '98. It was the Veendam NE/Canada cruise from NYC to Montreal. He couldn't understand why I wanted to take a cruise through our home country. I wanted to see home through the eyes of a tourist.

We were heading into Halifax, but as soon as we awoke, I knew something was wrong. We happened to have an outside cabin, and I looked out to see many ships traveling in parallel lines, as if in a grid.

A Swiss Air flight had gone down, and we were part of the rescue mission.

As the day went on, we were moved to search a different area, and it became a "recovery" mission. Passengers on deck were asked to point to debris rising to the surface, while crew in tenders followed our directions and picked up whatever floated to the top.

Eventually, we were released from further duty. Before we sailed away there was a ceremony to remember the victims. Prayers were said, and a floral wreath was dropped into the sea. It was a fitting ending to what had been an emotional day. And we felt we had been part of something important.

Dear Ruth,

I vaguely remember you telling us this story one night at dinner ... I think it might have been aboard the Rotterdam in January 2008. What a powerful story -- to be part of that valiant effort! Thank you for sharing it with us all!

Rev, I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I've searched HAL's website and can't find anything (although I know it's been there in the past).

Our family is considering a cruise which would coincide with my parents 55th anniversary. My DW and I are celebrating our 30th, and my brother and his DW also have an anniversary coming up.

Have you participated in renewal of vow ceremonies on HAL? If you or anyone else can point me towards info on HAL's website or elsewhere I would be very thankful.

In case it matters, we are considering the June 24 sailing on Veendam to Bermuda.

Captain does Renewal of Vows on all ships. He conducts a lovely ceremony and HAL sells a whole package which includes cake, toast, photos and dinner at Pinnacle..... perhaps other things as well.

You could call Ships Services for full infomation if that works better for you than doing it on the HAL site.

Ships Services Telephone: 800-541-1576

Archived